• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charlie Strong already on the hot seat?

Racism or not, I think that a big part of McCombs problem here is that he didn't feel like he was given enough say in who Texas hired. Whether he is entitled to have the much influence, I don't know. But he certainly thinks that he is and is pissed that he didn't get it.

No question there.

Racism or not, I think that a big part of McCombs problem here is that he didn't feel like he was given enough say in who Texas hired. Whether he is entitled to have the much influence, I don't know. But he certainly thinks that he is and is pissed that he didn't get it.

So kinda like all of us with [Redacted]

yeah but he paid a 100 million dollars when most of us wouldn't even spring 10 bucks for this message board

So does money purchase the expectation of being consulted in the hiring and firing of coaches? If so, are university athletic programs out for bid like professional teams?

U guys are funny, cry racism all u want but this is a terrible hire and I think he will be gone in 3 to 4 years. The only reason I thought his named in the process is because he black, never thought they would actually hire him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So does money purchase the expectation of being consulted in the hiring and firing of coaches? If so, are university athletic programs out for bid like professional teams?

I'd say a lot of it does, and that was probably implied when the AD asked for said money.

I'd say a lot of it does, and that was probably implied when the AD asked for said money.

Yeah people forget the money is usually solicited. That can create resentment if a huge amount is solicited, given, and then you aren't give the courtesies you expect. Now whether those expectations are fair or realistic...I don't know.

I think you're right there, but I think race must play a part in it because (no pun intended) Charlie Strong was considered a strong candidate for any job in the country and for him to say "I think he'd make a fine position coach, maybe a coordinator," that's a slap in Charlie Strong's face and it's hard to come to another conclusion other than race. I mean Texas hired Mack Brown from UNC, which to me is about the same as hiring Charlie Strong from a school like Louisville, at least the program Louisville is today. I think it's a combination of McCombs not feeling he had enough say in it to stroke his ego, Strong being black, and McCombs having the delusion of thinking Texas could've gotten Grudden, Sabin, Cowher or even Jimbo Fisher.

I think you're right there, but I think race must play a part in it because (no pun intended) Charlie Strong was considered a strong candidate for any job in the country and for him to say "I think he'd make a fine position coach, maybe a coordinator," that's a slap in Charlie Strong's face and it's hard to come to another conclusion other than race. I mean Texas hired Mack Brown from UNC, which to me is about the same as hiring Charlie Strong from a school like Louisville, at least the program Louisville is today. I think it's a combination of McCombs not feeling he had enough say in it to stroke his ego, Strong being black, and McCombs having the delusion of thinking Texas could've gotten Grudden, Sabin, Cowher or even Jimbo Fisher.

This. It's one thing to say a great coordinator, but the position coach dig was intentionally belittling.

The best part about this is that McCombs' comments will just make it that much harder for Texas to hire desired HC candidates in the future by adding fuel to the notion that Texas's boosters are (i) delusional, (ii) racist, or (iii) some combination of the two.

The best part about this is that McCombs' comments will just make it that much harder for Texas to hire desired HC candidates in the future by adding fuel to the notion that Texas's boosters are (i) delusional, (ii) racist, or (iii) some combination of the two.

Yeah, I'd love it if Strong goes there, tears it up and leaves for the NFL at the first opportunity giving McCombs the finger as he walks out the door.

That's a bit of a stretch. A guy can have the opinion that the HC job at Texas is larger than some personalities can handle. I'm sure Red thinks they need another dog and pony guy like Brown. Charlie certainly knows more football than Mack but handling the circus that is Texas football takes a top shelf carnival barker. The job requires a politicians slickness and a willingness to kiss ugly babies. I am sure Red has the same opinion of Pelini at Nebraska....

I am of the opinion that Jason Garrett is more an OC than HC. Does that make me a bigot?

So kinda like all of us with [Redacted]
I was just going to make that point. While it's tempting to claim "racist" because he's an old southern white male, I think that's more about the person claiming racism's stereotyping than anything else. Strong had 2 OK years at Louisville (winning but barely), and then 2 great years after recruiting heavily from Miami. That's really all he has on record as a head coach. It's a great story so far, but for a position like Texas you'd expect to hire someone with more of a track record. His style of play doesn't really fit well either. It's seems to be an unnecessary risk.

Mack Brown had 14 years of head coaching experience at 3 schools.....and many more successful years. That's what I would have expected.

That's a bit of a stretch. A guy can have the opinion that the HC job at Texas is larger than some personalities can handle. I'm sure Red thinks they need another dog and pony guy like Brown. Charlie certainly knows more football than Mack but handling the circus that is Texas football takes a top shelf carnival barker. The job requires a politicians slickness and a willingness to kiss ugly babies. I am sure Red has the same opinion of Pelini at Nebraska....

I am of the opinion that Jason Garrett is more an OC than HC. Does that make me a bigot?

You could be right, but it would be interesting to see if McCombs would've made the same comments if they had hired a guy like Art Briles for instance. I'm usually the guy saying people make too many things out to be racist when they aren't, but after hearing McCombs and the comments he made, I just feel there was a racial overtone there. I hope that's not the case and McCombs has other reasons for his objection to hiring Charlie Strong, even if that's the case, I'm not sure it was good judgement on his part to air his disapproval of the hiring anyway at this point. Of the current crop of college coaches that Texas realistically could've expected to hire, I think Charlie Strong was as good as any. I don't think they had a real shot at even a guy like Jimbo Fisher, despite what McCombs and others think, going from FSU to Texas is a lateral move as far as the actual program is concerned. Yeah, maybe Fisher could've made more money, but the potential to succeed certainly isn't any greater at Texas than it is FSU in my opinion.

I was just going to make that point. While it's tempting to claim "racist" because he's an old southern white male, I think that's more about the person claiming racism's stereotyping than anything else. Strong had 2 OK years at Louisville (winning but barely), and then 2 great years after recruiting heavily from Miami. That's really all he has on record as a head coach. It's a great story so far, but for a position like Texas you'd expect to hire someone with more of a track record. His style of play doesn't really fit well either. It's seems to be an unnecessary risk.

Mack Brown had 14 years of head coaching experience at 3 schools.....and many more successful years. That's what I would have expected.

I think that's a decent point, but who out there that was available fit that bill?

You could be right, but it would be interesting to see if McCombs would've made the same comments if they had hired a guy like Art Briles for instance. I'm usually the guy saying people make too many things out to be racist when they aren't, but after hearing McCombs and the comments he made, I just feel there was a racial overtone there. I hope that's not the case and McCombs has other reasons for his objection to hiring Charlie Strong, even if that's the case, I'm not sure it was good judgement on his part to air his disapproval of the hiring anyway at this point. Of the current crop of college coaches that Texas realistically could've expected to hire, I think Charlie Strong was as good as any. I don't think they had a real shot at even a guy like Jimbo Fisher, despite what McCombs and others think, going from FSU to Texas is a lateral move as far as the actual program is concerned. Yeah, maybe Fisher could've made more money, but the potential to succeed certainly isn't any greater at Texas than it is FSU in my opinion.

I don't know his opinion of Art...we do know Art actively pursued the job but was not given nearly as much interest in return. I don't know if the job is bigger than Art or Charlie...but the Texas job is a unique big-top type job

I don't know his opinion of Art...we do know Art actively pursued the job but was not given nearly as much interest in return. I don't know if the job is bigger than Art or Charlie...but the Texas job is a unique big-top type job

Definitely agree with that.

Back