• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charlie Strong already on the hot seat?

I'm trying to figure out McCombs' logic here. He'd rather have a guy who has been out coaching for five years than a guy with a 37-14 record as a head coach over that same time period.

It's amazing how much Jon Gruden's stock as a head coach has gone up after being fired from the Bucs.

It's sort of related to the backup QB theory

The progressive state of CA has 7 FBS schools and ONE African-American coach. The racist and terrible state of Texas has 13 FBS programs and TWO African-American coaches.

So 14% of California FBS head coaches are black, while 15% of Texas FBS head coaches are black.

Texas is less racist than California #science

At some point, I assume fans will give up on Gruden or Bill Cowher ever coming back to coach again. Hearing their names year after year is old.

If he wins, they will shut up. But he better win early and often.

People in Texas are fucking awful and have an inflated sense of self worth? Im fucking shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

You couldnt pay me to live in that redneck desert. Not shockingly, homes made his billions bojangling cars.

Guess what Billie Joe? There are two SEC programs (BAMA and LSU) with multiple national titles in the last 10 years, another SEC school with a title and a championship game in the last 5 (AUB), and a sleeping dynasty (FSU) that has seemingly been re-awakened.

Your little dustbowl oasis in North Texas is behind all of those programs, chief.

Guess what Billie Joe? There are two SEC programs (BAMA and LSU) with multiple national titles in the last 10 years, another SEC school with a title and a championship game in the last 5 (AUB), and a sleeping dynasty (FSU) that has seemingly been re-awakened.

*three SEC programs

If Strong has Tejas consistently in the top-10, all this will blow over, and he'll be there a long time regardless of some of their boosters' views on race. And he'll get 2-3 years to get them to that level. But if he doesn't sniff the top-10 by year 4, yeah, he'll be done there at that point.

Reminds me of the HBO documentary on the integration of the SWC, SEC & ACC conferences with their football programs. Bubba Smith, who was from Tejas, wanted to play for Tejas. He said Darryl Royal told him he'd love to have him there but he didn't know if he'd be allowed to let him actually play. So Bubba went to Mich St, and his stories about eating matzoh and seeing snow for the 1st time were risible.

I think he's gonna be gone in 3 years.

This, unfortunately. Terrible fit. I saw a lot of his interviews when he coached at Florida. He starts off strong, no pun intended, and goes downhill quickly. Short tempered, very sensitive to racism (don't blame him), and not a chatter. This could be ugly.

Racism is more alive than ever in Texas

What is this assertion based on?

Texas has some racist idiots in it. So does every other state in the country. So do most countries in the world.

FWIW..I immediately thought McCombs's comments had racial undertones to them. He's also in his 80s so not exactly representative of the average anything on this topic. Not the average American. Not the average Texan. Not the average car dealer. Not the average billionaire.

I'm trying to figure out McCombs' logic here. He'd rather have a guy who has been out coaching for five years than a guy with a 37-14 record as a head coach over that same time period.

It's amazing how much Jon Gruden's stock as a head coach has gone up after being fired from the Bucs.

Dungy set the table for him. It was almost Switzer-esque.

It was a dumb comment by Numbers. But he moved to Boston and couldn't help but become a smug North easterner. He's also in law school which means he lives in a world of conjecture.

What is this assertion based on?

Texas has some racist idiots in it. So does every other state in the country. So do most countries in the world.

FWIW..I immediately thought McCombs's comments had racial undertones to them. He's also in his 80s so not exactly representative of the average anything on this topic. Not the average American. Not the average Texan. Not the average car dealer. Not the average billionaire.

Looks at the voter suppression laws they have passed. look at the way they have redistricted many places to take power away from blacks and Hispanics.

The State of Texas is actively trying to take away any political or voting power minorities have.

Looks at the voter suppression laws they have passed. look at the way they have redistricted many places to take power away from blacks and Hispanics.

The State of Texas is actively trying to take away any political or voting power minorities have.

I assume by voter suppression laws you mean voter ID laws. As I noted in the rep I left you (and I am sure you read it), supporting a law that has a disproportionate impact on minorities is not the same thing as supporting a law because it has a disproportionate impact on minorities. I don't follow politics enough to know anything about redistricting so I won't comment other than you should always be careful in assigning racist motives.

Numbers statement was absurd and wrong and, frankly, as a lifelong Texan, offensive in itself. Racism is not "more alive than ever in Texas." Slavery was once legal in this state.

Back