• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charlotte FC / MLS Thread

Meanwhile, DC United stole three points in Cincinnati despite playing a man down for the final 21 minutes.

They scored on a PK (handball) in the 98th minute, and the final whistle was blown in the 101st (!) minute.

CLT needs to bring on Sergio Ruiz, not sure why he isn’t playing. He was a legit high end CM in La Liga 2 at Las Palmas while on loan.

Bronico played at UNCC but he’s a USL player.

I like Swidirski, he’s quicker than I assumed. Very aggressive, and has a shot on him.

Reyna is lively but still has zero end product.

Jaylen Lindsay is a defensive RB, not a RWB. Need to eventually get to a back 4. He’s got a lot Reggie Cannon in him.

Last edited:
Team kinda sucks, especially in the final third.

They're definitely not that good. Lots of bad first touches and passing accuracy wasn't that great but I really think the city will embrace the team and keep showing up.

Nice to have another rival in the south. Beware the Orlando fans. Think UNC Walmart fans but from Florida.

e4a926c378e4504bcf8e8e38e47bb25e.jpg

Saturday night was awesome. That being said, the honeymoon is fucking over. Fans should now go at the teams throat about signing players.

Formatting was a challenge, brought over from word bullet points.

Going to be honest, have had mixed and weird feelings about the club since its inception.
I really, really have wanted to be excited about this club and team and professional soccer coming to my home state. I just haven’t really found that much to grab onto that has sustained my excitement or hope since the announcement. This is largely in part due to missteps by ownership and management more than anything in my eyes.

I’ll save comments on the largely soccer illiterate fanbase till things play out more. It is also a bit of a miss that there seems to be a lack of any high-level discourse around the team. No Athletic writer or any in depth coverage there, no sbnation page, no youtube content, there really isn’t anything to help new fans to the club, let alone the game, get a good feeling for what’s trying to be accomplished.
I’ll also say after spending the last couple weeks really immersing myself into the MLS structure and how everything works, the league is quite unapproachable regardless of any previous soccer understanding. This shit is convoluted and confusing.
With that being said I watched the first two games pretty closely to try to get some understanding of what we’re trying to do, and how Miguel is trying to accomplish his vision. I took notes throughout each game with timestamps, and have rewatched the first half of the second game. My general high-level thoughts and takeaways from games one and two:

• Pressing triggers seem jumbled and mixed

-Miguel talked a lot about his high press coming into the year, I haven’t really seen much of this, and we seem more than fine dropping way off their CBs, letting them pick a pass and then try to press the wingbacks/full backs, but the press is weak due to spacing. Reyna specifically gets a lot of my hate on this

-We dropped our line of engagement to our 45/40 fairly frequently

• Think we’re really going to be susceptible to teams who have a good midfielder who can quickly switch sides

-We really get narrow and compact when the balls get to the wide spaces, there was a combination

-First note of this was ~10 min into the DC game

• Makoun I really don’t like, and think is a major weak link in what I think could be a suitable backline

-He’s not comfortable enough on the ball to hold the center of a back three and be responsible for advancing the ball to a dropping 6 or 8, he takes way too long to make up his mind on the pass, and often passes to a man in pressure. A few times to Bronico in the first game were just inexcusable

• Reyna both games seemed genuinely lost, I get that he played basically everything from a striker, to inverted winger, to defensive winger, but Christ he looked lost more often than not. He gives nothing in the press and I’m not sure he’s sure where he’s supposed to be in certain times

• Midfield makes the defense look worse than they are. We got absolutely overrun in the midfield against LA, and to a lesser extent D.C.

-Also, they hurt the overall team as their moves in transition are wild. Even in Franco’s goal that was called off, it took too damn long for players to get up the field, and everybody fell more into defensive positioning than getting up the field, there were 3 people in the frame of the TV when the ball was hit

-Same goes for 26:35 in the same game, have a good transition with an early cross into 2v8.

-It’s almost like their first reaction when winning the ball is to think two steps ahead on what happens if we get countered, and fill that space rather than filling open space ahead.

-In transition going the other way, they get run past and are unhelpful and are unable to fill space wide or centrally correctly to account for a shifting CB

-This is most noticeable for me with the midfield, but it’s in general, we give the man on the ball far too much time

-This was most obvious on Douglas Costa you have to get in his shit and disrupt him, don’t worry about being run past, let your cover help, we played off him and he killed us with his passing instead

• The team seems to find something when playing more direct and I’m confused by the tepidness of this, most of our genuine “chances” were off of a mistake where we could play a line cutting ball to somebody in motion, now, the player receiving the ball will too often stop once they get it, but they seem to get too mechanical and tepid when slowing things down.

• It was interesting to see how Miguel ran them out over the last 45 minutes

-It’s good to know he’ll make tactical and formational changes when needed
I need to double-check, but it seemed like Mora was dictating a lot of the defensive structure due to what my initial reaction was a zone-specific man-mark by him in the second half

• The cupboard is bare going forward

• Finally, do we not have any long set-piece routines?

-I didn’t hate the short corners, but the end of the LA game left me confused.

What missteps by ownership and management do you think there have been, just curious.

What missteps by ownership and management do you think there have been, just curious.

PSLs for an existing stadium
Ticket prices in general
Lack or marking towards latino fanbase
Club President resigned to "pursue other opportunities"
Academy director jumped ship for a lateral move
They fired their hand picked Chief of Marketing after a botched branding rollout
Sold the only talented attacking player before a match was ever played, no replacement to this day
Missed out on a DP signing because no one at the club was aware of a pending legal issue

Thats the ones I can think of off the top of my head

oh man, didn't realize Bronico was with Charlotte now

very popular teammate but doesn't bring much to the table on the field

There's a lot, but the biggest gripes I have are: PSLs, ticket prices, and overall costs; as well as the fact that I genuinely don't get the feeling that many of the people running the club have the slightest idea in what they're doing.

$1,000 to get in the door for season tickets is a joke. They're going to quickly kill the chance of any true culture or supporter movement around the club because they're pricing out everybody who actually would build that fanbase to get some quick cash. I fully expect CLTFC to have the same problems the panthers do with their fanbase but exacerbated due to the fact that they're burning bridges with people who want to support the club right out of the gates.

The overall club structure I find underwhelming. I'm 100% willing and ready to give Miguel some solid time. If you go back and look at profiles done in 2019ish, I'm interested to see if he can implement his vision here. It's one that's appealing to me and I can get behind. My problem is that management has done nothing to build a team in his image to meet his style. It's obvious from the first two games this isn't how he wants to play, and the quality of the team is drastically holding him back.

Zoran's the sporting director and has held no position in club football before this, his track record is working for agents and in retail trading.

We have no head of academy recruitment, that job is up on LinkedIn.

Nick should not be in that position no matter how good Tepper thinks he can post on LinkedIn or market.

It just seems so cobbled together for the process taking this long and that they've skated by with being new and shiny and the next thing and fairly good marketing content. 75k people will show up (significantly helped with reduced pricing) because it was something to do on a good weathered Saturday night and they can talk about how they "saw the first CLT FC home game". They won't show up on a hot summer night to see a shit club in a shit league.

PSLs for an existing stadium
Ticket prices in general
Lack or marking towards latino fanbase
Club President resigned to "pursue other opportunities"
Academy director jumped ship for a lateral move
They fired their hand picked Chief of Marketing after a botched branding rollout
Sold the only talented attacking player before a match was ever played, no replacement to this day
Missed out on a DP signing because no one at the club was aware of a pending legal issue

Thats the ones I can think of off the top of my head

This is a good take.

Formatting was a challenge, brought over from word bullet points.

Going to be honest, have had mixed and weird feelings about the club since its inception.
I really, really have wanted to be excited about this club and team and professional soccer coming to my home state. I just haven’t really found that much to grab onto that has sustained my excitement or hope since the announcement. This is largely in part due to missteps by ownership and management more than anything in my eyes.

I’ll save comments on the largely soccer illiterate fanbase till things play out more. It is also a bit of a miss that there seems to be a lack of any high-level discourse around the team. No Athletic writer or any in depth coverage there, no sbnation page, no youtube content, there really isn’t anything to help new fans to the club, let alone the game, get a good feeling for what’s trying to be accomplished.
I’ll also say after spending the last couple weeks really immersing myself into the MLS structure and how everything works, the league is quite unapproachable regardless of any previous soccer understanding. This shit is convoluted and confusing.
With that being said I watched the first two games pretty closely to try to get some understanding of what we’re trying to do, and how Miguel is trying to accomplish his vision. I took notes throughout each game with timestamps, and have rewatched the first half of the second game. My general high-level thoughts and takeaways from games one and two:

• Pressing triggers seem jumbled and mixed

-Miguel talked a lot about his high press coming into the year, I haven’t really seen much of this, and we seem more than fine dropping way off their CBs, letting them pick a pass and then try to press the wingbacks/full backs, but the press is weak due to spacing. Reyna specifically gets a lot of my hate on this

-We dropped our line of engagement to our 45/40 fairly frequently

• Think we’re really going to be susceptible to teams who have a good midfielder who can quickly switch sides

-We really get narrow and compact when the balls get to the wide spaces, there was a combination

-First note of this was ~10 min into the DC game

• Makoun I really don’t like, and think is a major weak link in what I think could be a suitable backline

-He’s not comfortable enough on the ball to hold the center of a back three and be responsible for advancing the ball to a dropping 6 or 8, he takes way too long to make up his mind on the pass, and often passes to a man in pressure. A few times to Bronico in the first game were just inexcusable

• Reyna both games seemed genuinely lost, I get that he played basically everything from a striker, to inverted winger, to defensive winger, but Christ he looked lost more often than not. He gives nothing in the press and I’m not sure he’s sure where he’s supposed to be in certain times

• Midfield makes the defense look worse than they are. We got absolutely overrun in the midfield against LA, and to a lesser extent D.C.

-Also, they hurt the overall team as their moves in transition are wild. Even in Franco’s goal that was called off, it took too damn long for players to get up the field, and everybody fell more into defensive positioning than getting up the field, there were 3 people in the frame of the TV when the ball was hit

-Same goes for 26:35 in the same game, have a good transition with an early cross into 2v8.

-It’s almost like their first reaction when winning the ball is to think two steps ahead on what happens if we get countered, and fill that space rather than filling open space ahead.

-In transition going the other way, they get run past and are unhelpful and are unable to fill space wide or centrally correctly to account for a shifting CB

-This is most noticeable for me with the midfield, but it’s in general, we give the man on the ball far too much time

-This was most obvious on Douglas Costa you have to get in his shit and disrupt him, don’t worry about being run past, let your cover help, we played off him and he killed us with his passing instead

• The team seems to find something when playing more direct and I’m confused by the tepidness of this, most of our genuine “chances” were off of a mistake where we could play a line cutting ball to somebody in motion, now, the player receiving the ball will too often stop once they get it, but they seem to get too mechanical and tepid when slowing things down.

• It was interesting to see how Miguel ran them out over the last 45 minutes

-It’s good to know he’ll make tactical and formational changes when needed
I need to double-check, but it seemed like Mora was dictating a lot of the defensive structure due to what my initial reaction was a zone-specific man-mark by him in the second half

• The cupboard is bare going forward

• Finally, do we not have any long set-piece routines?

-I didn’t hate the short corners, but the end of the LA game left me confused.

Good lord. I was an all-state soccer player in high school and I apparently dont know shit about soccer.

Back