• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 2022: Viel Glück für alle!

My wife and I play cribbage all the time. There’s something to be said about a great two person game.

Same here. Also, being midwesterners, played a fair amount of euchre. A lot of spoons now with the kids (along with a ton of Catan).

You haven't played with pros.

Pinochle was a good game. Haven't played in decades.

When I was a little kid my parents would stay up all night with my uncle and grandparents playing pinochle. My favorite movie back then (age 3) was Lady and the Tramp so they would just set me up with the video playing and I would come out and have them rewind when it was over.

Yeah I gather that a lot of these games are super regional. My parents/whole family are from Rochester originally.

I think we follow pretty conventional Oh Hell rules, although I admittedly don’t know too many other people that play. Clockwise bids starting to the left of the dealer, we use pennies to denote the number of tricks you want. The genius of it really is in the simplicity. I recently suggested a tweak that we are piloting: we set the order so that the winner of the prior game has to deal on one.

we don't bid one at a time, we all bid with our fingers on the count of three

do you play that the last bidder cannot make it exact to the number of cards dealt?

Grew up playing Spades & Rook. Played a similar game called “tunk” all through middle and high school, mostly on the school bus.

we don't bid one at a time, we all bid with our fingers on the count of three

do you play that the last bidder cannot make it exact to the number of cards dealt?

Hmmm that’s interesting. Yes, dealer is prohibited from bidding a number that would make the total equal to the number of outstanding tricks. So how do you make that work when everyone bids at once?

sometimes you're right on and everyone makes it, but it happens pretty rarely

our family typically underbids, but you'll get overbids from time to time too

sometimes you're right on and everyone makes it, but it happens pretty rarely

our family typically underbids, but you'll get overbids from time to time too

Interesting, I love the nuance that develops with these games as people play and they get passed on. I like introducing new people into our games because it adds an element of uncertainty to their bidding whereas the people I’ve played with forever can be easier to read. Phenomenal game.

we used to play spoons & spades routinely at the beach. the last couple of times the whole family has been together we've played Phase 10 & Bananagrams. I do enjoy Rummikub, too, as a fun game when there is a smaller group.

We were a spades family growing up. Played all the time.

Best beach card game is spoons though. Things get real rowdy and loud.

There is a "World Series of Spades" on Amazon Prime. It is so bad. But I have also watched way too many episodes. In the "World Series" they have someone who legitimately seems incapable of knowing/playing the game.

I had a year, maybe around college time, where I was REALLY into like yahoo hearts and spades

We had major hearts games in Reynolda Hall. Even had a reunion game in 2019.

Strangers did try to play with us and usually left quickly. Kappa Sig had a campus tournament. They would only let three of us enter. We came in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. 1976Deac won that day.

Of course THE board game of that era was Risk. When my GF would get pissed about playing Risk for too long, she would drop something on the board and say "nuclear attack".

How many Rook players do we have on here? And what is the value of the Rook? This will tell me all I need to know about you people.

I remember playing Rook, but it's been so long I couldn't tell you how or anything about it.

How many Rook players do we have on here? And what is the value of the Rook? This will tell me all I need to know about you people.

Do you mean how many points it’s worth, or what it’s trump rank is? The way my grandma taught me how to play, the rook is the 10.5 trump card

Do you mean how many points it’s worth, or what it’s trump rank is? The way my grandma taught me how to play, the rook is the 10.5 trump card

Your grandma understands how you play rook. In between the ten and eleven. Sounds like a cool lady.

Back