• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 2022: Viel Glück für alle!

Hearts and spades are for people who are too lazy to learn how to play bridge well.

Yeah, we're a big oh hell family - mainly from my wife's side. If someone can't remember if they've been to their cape house, they just ask them if they've ever played oh hell. If the answer's yes, it means that they've more than likely been there.

There's a big disagreement between two factions of the family on whether you can break spades on the first hand or not.

We go clockwise on bidding. Left of the dealer bids first, two left of the dealer leads the first hand. The "can't make the tricks work perfectly" rule is essential to the game and why it's called Oh Hell.

Talkin games. Nice.

I've been playing a decent amount of online chess since Covid. Love cribbage, but tough to find young people that know it. Euchre is fun, I never played until I met my wife's family, but here in the midwest everybody seems to know it. Always looking for a good two person game if anyone has any suggestions. Generally looking for something on the simpler side, where games could be completed fairly quickly. If anyone is looking for a new big group party game (post COVID, I guess), I like "Just One"

Yeah, we're a big oh hell family - mainly from my wife's side. If someone can't remember if they've been to their cape house, they just ask them if they've ever played oh hell. If the answer's yes, it means that they've more than likely been there.

There's a big disagreement between two factions of the family on whether you can break spades on the first hand or not.

We go clockwise on bidding. Left of the dealer bids first, two left of the dealer leads the first hand. The "can't make the tricks work perfectly" rule is essential to the game and why it's called Oh Hell.

break spades?

do you not change trump each hand?

Fresh Market sushi is BOGO on thursday - at least the one 600 yards from my house does. Love that deal.

Tell me more about this. Is it a mix of sushi and sashimi ? Should i assume it's BOGO at all Fresh Markets ? I'm not going all they way down to Fairview Road when ther's a store on East Blvd.

Hello fellow cribbage players. There must be dozens of us under 40, I had no idea there were this many.

Euchre is truly a superior 4 person game. I regret I never learned it till I was older. I played a lot of spades and hearts growing up in scouts which are great games but think of all the missed euchre time.

Tell me more about this. Is it a mix of sushi and sashimi ? Should i assume it's BOGO at all Fresh Markets ? I'm not going all they way down to Fairview Road when ther's a store on East Blvd.

Last time I was there, the one if East Blvd had sushi BOGO on Thursday.

Anyone else do the NYT crosswords? I feel like that’ll be a less than popular pastime among my age group. I got the app for free (donation gift for NPR contribution) a couple months back and I do the new one each morning. It’s definitely cut into my online cribbage time

Too easy. Can't believe everyone has missed the actual best two person game. Doug? Mako? Anyone wanna take care of the light work?

Thanks! Lots of availability up and down the stretch.

Anybody have experience with Kill Devil Hills?

KDH isn't worth it. Duck or Corolla. I always say when you cross the bridge go North. Fewer Pirate Cove Clam Shacks, and the like but nicer vibes.

Or just do yourself a favor and do Kiawah or Seabrook.

Anyone else do the NYT crosswords? I feel like that’ll be a less than popular pastime among my age group. I got the app for free (donation gift for NPR contribution) a couple months back and I do the new one each morning. It’s definitely cut into my online cribbage time

I get the neighborhood newspaper that reprints the Sunday Times puzzle and I do that every week

i am not smart enough to do the NYT crossword. a friend of mine makes crossword puzzles and has had at least 5 accepted for the NYT and LA Times' sunday puzzle. he's a super word nerd

I do then almost every day, but saturdays are too brutal for me. I can usually do Sunday-Thursday without hints, and need a few to do Friday.

break spades?

do you not change trump each hand?

yep - mistyped, meant trump (although the wife's family official changed it to the Roosevelt so both the libs and Mainer GOP types could agree on the name).

Yeah - Maine family allows someone to play trump on the first hand (still abiding by all other rules, etc), Mass family doesn't.

yep - mistyped, meant trump (although the wife's family official changed it to the Roosevelt so both the libs and Mainer GOP types could agree on the name).

Yeah - Maine family allows someone to play trump on the first hand (still abiding by all other rules, etc), Mass family doesn't.

you can defs break on the first hand in my family

only hearts doesn't allow for breaking on the first hand for us

you can defs break on the first hand in my family

only hearts doesn't allow for breaking on the first hand for us

Same here. Even better if you have a single low trump to lead. The yelling and cursing comes fast and furious then.

Yeah similar pattern to the above, I usually make it through thurs or Friday with no googling. Usually only ever google something when I’m pretty sure I know it and just confirming I had it. Saturday is much tougher.

I also get that neighborhood paper of ads that also reprints a crossword. I used to do those and assume I was smart. Then when getting the app I realized those must be like Monday puzzles.

Back