• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 2023 Annual Self-Evaluations due Friday, January 12 at noon

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local radio station that plays the Panthers (and NC State) games is also a rightwing talk station and occasionally I'll get in the car the next day or something after having listened to a game and the station will be playing frequent ads for mens rights divorce attorneys. Guess that's their typical weekday audience?
same thing happens to me everytime I listen to Wake Forest on the radio, everyday for the next week when I start my car it’s George Strait or some other 90s country music.

So it appears I’m the only one going on this Norway trip who wants to go reindeer hunting.

did the percentage of divorce proceedings that favored the wife also match the percentage of marriages where the wife sacrificed career progression and future earnings to care for the home and children?
It actually had more to do with the belief that children "need their mother" and the mother should be the one raising the children, even when facts specific to the case did not support this belief. Absent clear and abundant reasons to the contrary, mothers were presumed to be primary and preferred caregiver by judges, making it much more difficult for fathers to given primary custody. This was presumed true even in dual income families. Until recently it was always an uphill battle for fathers to be granted primary custody.

Until recently years, there absolutely was a massive deference to the wife in divorce proceedings. I get why the market exists.
I don’t believe mothers should automatically be given preference in divorce/custody hearings, but I have to think there are strong correlational factors in those proceedings, such as abuse, addiction, infidelity, that typically support the mother. My familiarity with men’s rights proponents is that they accuse women of systemically faking these accusations.

it's about time that men can get fair treatment dammit

I don’t believe mothers should automatically be given preference in divorce/custody hearings, but I have to think there are strong correlational factors in those proceedings, such as abuse, addiction, infidelity, that typically support the mother. My familiarity with men’s rights proponents is that they accuse women of systemically faking these accusations.
What if I told you these issues were fairly evenly split between men and women, and your presumption otherwise is exactly what many fathers had to fight against.

I don't disagree with most of that. My main point was it was pretty easy to understand why there was a market for such attorneys, largely because the default was always to the mother more because of an arbitrary "needs of the child" standard that preferred mothers. It didn't affect me, because my divorce was amicable and I have split custody, but I know plenty of people who got hammered under the prior standards.

Fortunately NC is a default 50-50 state now and works backwards from there based on circumstances.

A quick google shows men admit to infidelity leading to divorce at 20% compared to 13% for women.
Divorce rates were 6% higher when women had an illness - it remained the same when men had an illness.
Not divorce related per se, but 1 in 7 women and 1 in 18 men have been stalked or abused by an intimate partner to the point of fearing death.

So - are they evenly split between men and women?

I’m pretty sure all three bolds highlighted the actual data would show higher rates by men.

I’m pretty sure all three bolds highlighted the actual data would show higher rates by men.
Alcoholism much higher for men, most other forms of drug addiction also higher for men, women more likely to seek treatment for addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back