• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 3 early 5 plama

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's some combination. I may have to try dipping a pickle in peanut butter. I will report back.

This happened to us last week. We had a virtual appoint for our kid at 8:30 before school (and when the office opens). First appointment of the day, still hadn't been seen by 9:20. We asked why and were told the PCP had two appointments scheduled at that time (and that was standard practice).

This shit absolutely grinds my gears. I get the earliest possible appointment because I’m trying to not have it interfere with my day. Then I sit in the waiting room for 20-30 minutes getting progressively angrier and angrier then I go back to the room and sit for longer and then they want to take my blood pressure.

One day I plan on having a firm rule that I don’t represent doctors. They’re the worst clients. Every job I’ve ever had (bag boy, construction, mover, retail, waiter, camp counselor, lawyer) has led me to that decision.

I blame insurance more than doctors. Insurance dictates that doctors see X number of patients and the amount of time they can spend with them - which inevitably is not enough time and puts them behind schedule. Not excuse for the late on the first appointment thing (and that really frustrates me as well).

#NotADoctor, so if this isn't how it works, please correct me (not sure we have any PCPs on the boards though).

This shit absolutely grinds my gears. I get the earliest possible appointment because I’m trying to not have it interfere with my day. Then I sit in the waiting room for 20-30 minutes getting progressively angrier and angrier then I go back to the room and sit for longer and then they want to take my blood pressure.

One day I plan on having a firm rule that I don’t represent doctors. They’re the worst clients. Every job I’ve ever had (bag boy, construction, mover, retail, waiter, camp counselor, lawyer) has led me to that decision.

Yeah, most doctors are insulated from what is going on in the world around them because their practice is not really directly related to the economy or anything else. And they invest in ostrich farms and whole life policies and other shit like that. They're just oblivious.

my buddy from Wake is physician, leaving the navy and starting soon with Kaiser Permanente which has a pretty different model: they're closed loop, providing their own insurance, pharmacies, etc. so they're incentivized to emphasize preventative care and reduce needless procedures

in contrast to my other wake buddy that works on the business side of UChicago hospitals where they're pushing their elective care to make money on those procedures

will be interesting to see how he likes KP

the doctor is probably late with the first appointments of the day because they are finishing their notes from the day before. They don't get time to finish them during the day because of shitty reimbursement from insurance companies and dictates from the CPA/MPHs running the health system. So unless they want to stay two hours after their last patient or take everything home and chart until 10 at night then they have to come in early to finish them up

the doctor is probably late with the first appointments of the day because they are finishing their notes from the day before. They don't get time to finish them during the day because of shitty reimbursement from insurance companies and dictates from the CPA/MPHs running the health system. So unless they want to stay two hours after their last patient or take everything home and chart until 10 at night then they have to come in early to finish them up

Boo hoo. I don't get to be late to my meetings because I'm sending out emails.

The appointment time is pretty much a joke whenever my wife has to go to the eye doctor. It’s basically a day-ender for her having to sit in the waiting room forever but she needs eye prescriptions so no choice but to wait it out.

my buddy from Wake is physician, leaving the navy and starting soon with Kaiser Permanente which has a pretty different model: they're closed loop, providing their own insurance, pharmacies, etc. so they're incentivized to emphasize preventative care and reduce needless procedures

in contrast to my other wake buddy that works on the business side of UChicago hospitals where they're pushing their elective care to make money on those procedures

will be interesting to see how he likes KP

One of our good friends just left KP.

the new medical records software (epic, et al) have some conveniences, but it's annoying that the doctor is now just facing the computer the whole time typing when I visit

it's good for scheduling appointments or requesting rx refills or checking test results though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back