• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread-A-Pallooza: I got two chats, one for the plug and one for the load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that, and that it's not the same as looking at a magazine. You could know everything about a city through the internet, TV, books, and magazines, but you wouldn't really know much about it till you went there.

Absolutely, I agree. But through exposure via all those other mediums, the interest is already there once the person finally does have the opportunity to experience it. Hence the statement that you can instill an interest in travel/the wide world through media.

I suppose... but for me/my perspective, your average 9 yr old is not going to have the same cultural "oh my gosh I can't believe I get to see/experience this in person" feeling they might have at a later point in life.

AGAIN - if you have the money, go for it. I would. It's unlikely I'll be in that position, though.

You should go into consulting.

leebs, why do you consider it unlikely you'd ever have money? You went to Wake Forest and are hot enough to snag a rich dude.

When I was a kid, we never went on any big vacations overseas. We visited Civil War battlefields, cemeteries, and state/national parks that were within a day's drive of wherever we were living at the time (we moved around a lot prior to high school)...and we liked it. #getoffmylawn #80sdeac

Absolutely, I agree. But through exposure via all those other mediums, the interest is already there once the person finally does have the opportunity to experience it. Hence the statement that you can instill an interest in travel/the wide world through media.

If you keep up your aggressive savings strategy of living on $75 a month and invest some in blue chip stocks you will have a scrooge mcduck vault

I suppose... but for me/my perspective, your average 9 yr old is not going to have the same cultural "oh my gosh I can't believe I get to see/experience this in person" feeling they might have at a later point in life.

AGAIN - if you have the money, go for it. I would. It's unlikely I'll be in that position, though.

true, an adult will have experiences and info to provide additional context to a new situation. but a 9 yr old might have more to gain by novel experiences

Some. We did a lot more hiking and stuff by most travel was domestic, multiple Yosemite trips. We had a bunch of friends that we were constantly going out with and getting wasted. Also it took us about ten years to get pregnant the first time, eventually through in vitro. Once those pipes got cleaned out the little brother came a lot easier.

A little sympathy for the biffster, but they came eventually!

Interesting chatter re: kids and travel.

My wife and I just got back from a weekend in Vail with the baby and talked a lot about our resolve to make a life of adventure / travel a common thing for the baby. We try to include her in activities like hiking, off-roading, camping, fishing, etc. as well as taking her all over the place with us just to get her out and exposed to a lot of different places / sounds / sights / stimulus in hopes that it carries over later in life.

Adventure and travel are things I didn't grow up doing; it came later in life for me and in some ways I feel like I've missed out and need to make up. I'd like the baby to have a chance to get out and explore earlier in life.

Who needs National Geographic or travel magazines when you have Google Street View? I just went on a walking tour of Uummannaq, Greenland without even putting on my parka! Up your butt, Conde Nast.

I didn't grow up with much travel (does up and down 95 and western NC count?) and wish that I had those kinds of experiences then now that I have much less time for them. I definitely want to be able to treat my kids to the Biff model, even if it's budget traveling. In hindsight, it strikes me as such an important part of growing up. It's definitely something that I'll prioritize.

Chat Thread-A-Pallooza: To all the chatters in the place with style and grace

I thought pizza man was a wealthy fella like David Pumpkins. Get it leebs!

true, an adult will have experiences and info to provide additional context to a new situation. but a 9 yr old might have more to gain by novel experiences

I get this, and that's why I'm saying yes - if you've got the means to do it, do it.

...but if you don't, your kid can still be exposed to new ideas and understand there's a big world out there.

same

or else i certainly didn't appreciate stuff the same way

except for like cedar point and fishing and stuff

im going to stay my daughter had some wild experiences on Saturday walking around the fall woods for the first time and she's not going to 'remember' them

One time i throw babby in the ocean for vacation

Bongs didn't like it but we all laughed later

You guys need to make sure you invest in sending your kids to a good residential summer camp!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back