• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: An Idiot Abroad: Spain or Italy or France !????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just boarded a flight to Los Angeles and there are so many men with perms. I guess this is what's hip?

I just boarded a flight to Los Angeles and there are so many men with perms. I guess this is what's hip?

went to Ingles last night and several of the cashiers/bag boys had big curly mullets. they're definitely local high school kids so I guess that's the look.

Are there any math nerds even on the CT? 14 is like a chem guy, right?

And yes, permed mullets are definitely a thing again.

I occasionally have a dream where I have to teach a calculus course. I can't even find the room much less teach calculus. I took calculus junior year of high school and multivariate calculus senior year of high school. But my last memory of calculus is not being able to help a girl at Wake with her freshman calculus homework.
This sounds terrifying. Also my night terrors have been terrible for the last few weeks. Idk what's going on. Probably the imminent arrival of Gozer the Gozerian

giphy.gif

when I studied abroad in Spain in 06 all the Cristiano Ronaldo-type eurotrash dudes were rocking mullets.

Some how I became a stats-math guy professionally. Like, I spent my day yesterday working on code to simulate the effect of density dependence and habitat loss on extinction probability of a lizard species in Texass and today I am working on simulating data to validate the regression coefficients for multi-season occupancy analysis of aquatic turtle data. At some point I realized that stats were a necessary evil to be an ecologist but then that evolved into actually liking the stats questions. One of my twitter friends has "I came for the charismatic mega fauna but stayed for the complex mega models" as his bio.

Anyway, I'm not a math nerd. I took Calc at Wake and got a solid B. I use it all the time, as it is in the underlying algorithms of most maximum likelihood analytical software I use, but I honestly don't really understand it.

Some how I became a stats-math guy professionally. Like, I spent my day yesterday working on code to simulate the effect of density dependence and habitat loss on extinction probability of a lizard species in Texass and today I am working on simulating data to validate the regression coefficients for multi-season occupancy analysis of aquatic turtle data. At some point I realized that stats were a necessary evil to be an ecologist but then that evolved into actually liking the stats questions. One of my twitter friends has "I came for the charismatic mega fauna but stayed for the complex mega models" as his bio.

Anyway, I'm not a math nerd. I took Calc at Wake and got a solid B. I use it all the time, as it is in the underlying algorithms of most maximum likelihood analytical software I use, but I honestly don't really understand it.

Heads up, you're a math nerd. I passed Calc 1 and 2, but only after scraping by with a C in Calc 1, and failing Calc 2 the first time.

I majored in chemistry yeah, wouldn't call myself a math nerd. Calc 2 was the highest math I took, and I took it freshman year with a professor that played for Wake basketball in like the 60s or something. He was approximately 900 years old, the class was 4 days a week at 8 am, and he didn't use powerpoint or anything, just lectured at us and wrote problems out on the chalkboard. That was by far the most difficult class to stay awake through that I've ever experienced.

At my 1st graders award ceremony and holy shit every parent here is at least a decade younger than me.

It's even more entertaining when the father of a graduate is old enough to be the parent of the parents of the other graduates in the class.

I majored in chemistry yeah, wouldn't call myself a math nerd. Calc 2 was the highest math I took, and I took it freshman year with a professor that played for Wake basketball in like the 60s or something. He was approximately 900 years old, the class was 4 days a week at 8 am, and he didn't use powerpoint or anything, just lectured at us and wrote problems out on the chalkboard. That was by far the most difficult class to stay awake through that I've ever experienced.
Don't disrespect Dr. Carmichael like that, homie!

He was on the '62 team that went to the Final 4, btw.

Don't disrespect Dr. Carmichael like that, homie!

He was on the '62 team that went to the Final 4, btw.

Hahaha no disrespect to him, I actually learned a good deal from that class and he seemed like a good guy. But he was pretty monotone and the class was at 8 am so I was struggling.

That was my freshman fall, the semester where Wake just signs you up for a schedule based on what classes you say you want. I didn't realize I was allowed to switch out of classes on the assigned schedule until after the drop date, otherwise I for sure would have taken his afternoon class instead of morning and probably been better off.

Hahaha no disrespect to him, I actually learned a good deal from that class and he seemed like a good guy. But he was pretty monotone and the class was at 8 am so I was struggling.

That was my freshman fall, the semester where Wake just signs you up for a schedule based on what classes you say you want. I didn't realize I was allowed to switch out of classes on the assigned schedule until after the drop date, otherwise I for sure would have taken his afternoon class instead of morning and probably been better off.

HaHa - I had Carmichael first semester freshman year, Calc. 1, 8am 5 days a week. How brutal... I took calc 1 & 2 plus differential equations plus analysis for scientists which I guess was like Calc. 3?? Physics required a lot of maths... I couldn't come close to doing any of it today...

Starting to download some podcasts for the drive cross country. Any recommendations? Not huge on true crime pods.

Was always a fan of "How I Built This" and "Stuff you Should Know" back in the day, but have gotten off the podcast kick in recent years.

Back