• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Asterisk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultimately, the schools will probably recover, but it will take years, and I'm not inclined to send my son to the worst middle school in the system so we can work it out with a group of concerned parents. Considering the school board changed our assignment just 7 years ago, the level of trust between the neighborhood and the school system is at an all time low and the decision to not even bother giving those schools a try has become much easier, despite the cost of private schools.

Also, just gave my penis a new nickname: Bad Hombre.

Segregated schools are the result of segregated housing, which is the much more difficult problem to solve.

My FIL is one of these super old school, PC is for a buncha pussies type guys. He generally means well but doesn't understand stuff like why it's offensive to call people Oriental. Well he told Birdie the other day she was "throwing like a girl" and she needed to wind up. While I appreciate trying to get her to throw the right way (something we are actively trying to do) I don't want him to even say stuff like "throwing like a girl" to her. His response is going to be that he was trying to help and I'll say, yeah but by saying "throwing like a girl" you are perpetuating negative stereotypes, could be damaging self esteem, etc. and he'll just blow up and get super defensive. Not sure if I should fight that battle or just tell Birdie he said something stupid that doesn't mean anything.

Chat Thread Asterisk: Tuesday and not much else

bmoney, tell him how you feel. If he gives you crap, tell him to man up and stop being a little bitch about it.

Telling your daughter that her grandfather says stupid stuff will only come back to bite you.

Get her one of those Nike shirts that says "Play Like a Girl" for next time he comes over.

My FIL is one of these super old school, PC is for a buncha pussies type guys. He generally means well but doesn't understand stuff like why it's offensive to call people Oriental. Well he told Birdie the other day she was "throwing like a girl" and she needed to wind up. While I appreciate trying to get her to throw the right way (something we are actively trying to do) I don't want him to even say stuff like "throwing like a girl" to her. His response is going to be that he was trying to help and I'll say, yeah but by saying "throwing like a girl" you are perpetuating negative stereotypes, could be damaging self esteem, etc. and he'll just blow up and get super defensive. Not sure if I should fight that battle or just tell Birdie he said something stupid that doesn't mean anything.

Get your ass off the sofa and teach her to throw a damn ball then instead of typing about it on the internet. JFC

bmoney, tell him how you feel. If he gives you crap, tell him to man up and stop being a little bitch about it.

Yeah that's what I'm going to end up doing.

Telling your daughter that her grandfather says stupid stuff will only come back to bite you.

Probably so but he does say some stupid stuff.

Get your ass off the sofa and teach her to throw a damn ball then instead of typing about it on the internet. JFC

Preciate the advice bro. The thing is we have taught her and she actually is doing softball this year and her coach just yesterday was like damn she has a cannon. I think when she "threw like a girl" she was just messing around because she legit throws footballs, softballs, etc really well.

New strife in the CLT: Stonewall Street has been proven to be named after Stonewall Jackson by retrieving the minutes from a city council meeting in the 1870's (no duh). Jackson's widow was from Lincoln County and moved to The Queen City after the war. The street name has now become a campaign issue with the dingbat incumbent stating that the street name should be changed. This is the same mayor who helped start the HB2 controversy with the bathroom sharing bill that scared the shit out of a bunch of backwards ass hicks, but she should have known how it would have gone down. Also, she pretty well botched the handling of the riots in our streets. Other candidates have had the common sense to shut up about it until it actually comes before the board as an issue. What I'm trying to say is that she's a horribly inept politician. The mayor who went to jail for accepting bribes was better than her.

So here's my play: Pat McCrory was mayor of the City of Charlotte for 14 years during its rise to regional dominance, national prominence, and international envy. As soon as she brings a street name change up in a city council meeting I swoop in and propose we name the street McCrory Street. We've already got an MLK St and Harvey Gantt has a museum named after him already. McColl St also sounds good, but the Wells Fargo people will freak because the street goes right through their concentration of buildings instead of on the BofA side.

New conference for Broughton includes a private school. Dios mio.

teams

I saw her out there yesterday, wish my boys threw like girls if that's what it looks like.

Dude, you're the one who posted the pic that turned up in my Facebook feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back