• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: BIFF IS STEALING THE CHAT THREAD !

Status
Not open for further replies.
yo brews, what does your "echo chamber" question have to do with

1) using an allusion out of context; and
2) hamlet

I really don't want to get into a Shakespeare debate with someone who has been paid to teach it at a college level and has likely had access to discussing the Bard with numerous experts and academics! That would be dumb, I haven't studied Shakespeare in a decade and you've probably learned a library's worth of information about him and everything he did in that time. I'll humor you with explanations because despite your tone I suspect you want to tell me why I'm wrong.

re: Richard III quote - Personally I believe the opening monologue is pretty straightforward, Richard III wants to shake up the status quo and dethrone his brother and explains his motivations. I don't really know whether the first two lines of it are exposition or sarcasm (or both). Based on my interpretation of the timing with the vaccine rollout, this winter is going to suck and the summer will be much better. I know that Richard isn't happy with what he describes as "summer" and the rest of the monologue explains why, but assumed ogboards posters would focus on the funny coincidence of our actual Winter and Summer coming up and the famous lines. I forgot about the Shakespeare professor here, that's on me.

re: echo chamber - Referring to something I learned in my Shakespeare class at Wake that apparently is not as widely held an interpretation as I was led to believe. I should've just made a Much Ado about Nothing joke.

What I’ve learned about selling online is that there is an inverse relationship between someone asking me about an item and their likelihood of buying the item. So difficult to not be rude to people who are wasting my time and making pisspoor lowball offers.

but the Kobayashi Maru is an unwinnable/unescapable scenario, not a unrealizable/contradictory scenario

richard II >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> richard III tho

I really don't want to get into a Shakespeare debate with someone who has been paid to teach it at a college level and has likely had access to discussing the Bard with numerous experts and academics! That would be dumb, I haven't studied Shakespeare in a decade and you've probably learned a library's worth of information about him and everything he did in that time. I'll humor you with explanations because despite your tone I suspect you want to tell me why I'm wrong.

re: Richard III quote - Personally I believe the opening monologue is pretty straightforward, Richard III wants to shake up the status quo and dethrone his brother and explains his motivations. I don't really know whether the first two lines of it are exposition or sarcasm (or both). Based on my interpretation of the timing with the vaccine rollout, this winter is going to suck and the summer will be much better. I know that Richard isn't happy with what he describes as "summer" and the rest of the monologue explains why, but assumed ogboards posters would focus on the funny coincidence of our actual Winter and Summer coming up and the famous lines. I forgot about the Shakespeare professor here, that's on me.

re: echo chamber - Referring to something I learned in my Shakespeare class at Wake that apparently is not as widely held an interpretation as I was led to believe. I should've just made a Much Ado about Nothing joke.

Thanks for this explanation, and I hope that you continue to read my tone as genuine. I'm not really into debate as much as conversation. I enjoy discussing this stuff, and it appears that you do too. Don't hesitate to quote something cool bc you think I'll be a dick about it.

The reason I responded to your original post is because I couldn't tell if you were signaling sarcasm (i.e. with the final exclamation about "good news") or portending disaster with the RIII quote. I think you're right that the opening lines of RIII are exposition (could perhaps be played as sarcastic, but I wouldnt), but the speaker invoking the "summer" of York is also ironic: any reader of the play would/will know that the coming summer will not in fact be "glorious" and instead disastrous for the speaker and his family. That's why I was confused by your potentially positive use of the line.

not sure I've ever heard anything about an "echo chamber" to do with hamlet, but I'd be interested in hearing it. Was it Valbuena or Jacobson? Just because I don't know it doesn't mean its not widely held.

I regret to inform you that once again Twitter dot com has failed us

Has anyone else attended a performance of Drunk Shakespeare? I saw a performance of Midsummer's Night Dream in Austin at the Spider House and the main chick got hammered and was groping and making out with dudes on stage super hard. It was fucking sweet!

I also got fairly shit faced during the show. I wanted to do my part.

I went to the "Shakesbeer festival" at a brewery in the East Anglia country side near a town called Thetford last summer. I don't think the actors were drunk but most of the crowd was.
https://starwingbrewery.com/2019/06/07/redgrave-shakesbeer-festival-returns-this-july/

I also saw "As you Like it" at the Globe in London the year before. That was an excellent performance.

Thanks for this explanation, and I hope that you continue to read my tone as genuine. I'm not really into debate as much as conversation. I enjoy discussing this stuff, and it appears that you do too. Don't hesitate to quote something cool bc you think I'll be a dick about it.

The reason I responded to your original post is because I couldn't tell if you were signaling sarcasm (i.e. with the final exclamation about "good news") or portending disaster with the RIII quote. I think you're right that the opening lines of RIII are exposition (could perhaps be played as sarcastic, but I wouldnt), but the speaker invoking the "summer" of York is also ironic: any reader of the play would/will know that the coming summer will not in fact be "glorious" and instead disastrous for the speaker and his family. That's why I was confused by your potentially positive use of the line.

not sure I've ever heard anything about an "echo chamber" to do with hamlet, but I'd be interested in hearing it. Was it Valbuena or Jacobson? Just because I don't know it doesn't mean its not widely held.

I misread! Thank you for explaining as well. I was shocked to find that they found the real Richard III beneath a parking garage very recently and that he suffered a rather gruesome death (someone cut off the back of his skull with a halberd to the point his brain was probably exposed!)

In regards to "echo chamber" think it was Harlan.

My memory is foggy but I believe that it was at least floated during that class that Hamlet's delay to get revenge was because he needed to convince himself of Claudius's guilt and the ghost of King Hamlet, the soliloquies, and his perceptions of Claudius's reactions all combine to become an "echo chamber" of his own thoughts that convince him that he's gotta kill his uncle.

Last edited:
I just got hit in the ear with a basketball and I’m pretty sure I ruptured my eardrum and if my jv coach doesn’t get out of quarantine soon and I have to keep coaching his freshmen I’m gonna lose my goddamn mind.

I just got hit in the ear with a basketball and I’m pretty sure I ruptured my eardrum and if my jv coach doesn’t get out of quarantine soon and I have to keep coaching his freshmen I’m gonna lose my goddamn mind.

Chin up, buttercup. You've got a hot wife to bang.

Has anyone else attended a performance of Drunk Shakespeare? I saw a performance of Midsummer's Night Dream in Austin at the Spider House and the main chick got hammered and was groping and making out with dudes on stage super hard. It was fucking sweet!

I also got fairly shit faced during the show. I wanted to do my part.

I saw Romeo and Juliet there. I got picked out of the audience to play the part of County Paris. I had to do the Macarena and get on my knee to propose, but they didn’t like it when I tried to help myself to the liquor.

2 tablespoons avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 jalapeño pepper, seeds and membranes removed, minced
1 ½ teaspoons garam masala*
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes (preferably the fire-roasted variety), with their juices
1 cup uncooked black lentils (also called beluga lentils)**, picked over for debris
1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained, or 1 ½ cups cooked kidney beans
5 cups water
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon lime juice, plus additional lime wedges for serving
Optional (for additional creaminess): half-and-half, or regular or light coconut milk
Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Suggested accompaniments: cooked brown basmati rice or toasted naan

In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm the oil until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and jalapeño, and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 4 to 6 minutes.
Stir in the garam masala, cumin, coriander and salt. Season generously with black pepper. Cook, while stirring, for 1 minute.
Add the tomatoes and cook for 1 more minute, while stirring. Add the lentils, kidney beans, water and bay leaf. Raise the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the lentils are nice and tender, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes.
Remove the bay leaf. Transfer 2 cups of the mixture (make sure to get some liquid with the lentils) to a blender. Securely fasten the lid. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute, being careful to avoid the hot steam rising from the blender lid.
Transfer the blended mixture back to the pot and stir to combine. Add the lime juice and season to taste with salt (I usually add ½ teaspoon) and pepper. If you would like to temper the flavor and make the mixture even more creamy, stir in a splash of half-and-half or coconut milk, to taste.
Serve in bowls, with chopped cilantro and a lime wedge on top. If desired, serve rice or naan on the side. Leftovers keep well, refrigerated, for up to 5 days.

Only thing I didn’t have was limes

It was awesome. Kinda cool that the blending step thickens it all up. Brilliant texture, really great deep flavor.

I normally blend a cup or so of beans in my chili to thicken it up. Might have to give this a shot. I’ve been meaning to try cooking more foreign foods.

Also, because I don’t know & would like to, is “ethnic food” okay to say? I truly don’t know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back