• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Bringing Back the $%&*?#@($#*@)#(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know my OSU ramblings can be brutal, but man that shogun guy (or gal!) has some sneaky awful sports board posts.

Cville, no man has wrote so much to actually say so little. Pretty much the antithesis of Milhouse.

My in-laws moved to Winston when our son was born, but they had to move back this fall. It’s been brutal adjusting to day care and dealing with one of the three of us being sick ALL THE TIME.

We’re trying hard to find a daycare. Problem with adoption is you don’t know when you’ll get a baby and what age so can’t really get on any waiting list.

We’re trying hard to find a daycare. Problem with adoption is you don’t know when you’ll get a baby and what age so can’t really get on any waiting list.

How old is your child, Barca?

YO townie! Hit up your Morimoto last night! Overpriced, but didn’t disappoint. They had a good 6 fish special selection I rarely see on the west coast

How old is your child, Barca?

Newborn. Will be a month on the 18th. We’re not ready for it yet but our leave will run out soon enough. We will probably rely on the grandmothers some after and wife’s cousin might come stay with us for a month or 2 as a nanny bc she wants to move here anyway.

YO townie! Hit up your Morimoto last night! Overpriced, but didn’t disappoint. They had a good 6 fish special selection I rarely see on the west coast

Yep overpriced but so delicious

My 19 month old just counted to 10. We are super proud. We’d be even prouder if we had taught her. Little baby bum is apparently doing the parenting in our house

My 19 month old just counted to 10. We are super proud. We’d be even prouder if we had taught her. Little baby bum is apparently doing the parenting in our house

That show on Netflix? That thing is a menace and for whatever my almost three year old still wants it sometimes. Probably to torture me. It puts her right to sleep on the couch though which can be nice.

I’d be happy to be proven wrong, but I’ve accepted that daycare just sucks in general. That whole industry is terrible.

It’s been our experience that demand far outpaces supply. State regulations are inadequate. For instance, our 15 month old is in a classroom with 11 other one year olds and two teachers. Staff are underpaid, and many of them aren’t good as a result Nutrition guidelines from the state suck. There are just so many frustration points. Are other folks having better experiences?

We loved our daycare. Reasonably priced, caring teachers. Decent curriculum. It did give our child a fishstick addiction, but what are you gonna do. Then the owner got burnt out on all the work that it took to run the daycare and keep it turning a decent profit, and sold to take a job as a secretary in the school system. Crushed our oldest. Luckily for us, we have a good babysitter and both sets of grandparents nearby, but we're already on about 8 waiting lists for when we want to enroll the baby at 3. Childcare is indeed a problem in our country.

We loved our daycare. Reasonably priced, caring teachers. Decent curriculum. It did give our child a fishstick addiction, but what are you gonna do. Then the owner got burnt out on all the work that it took to run the daycare and keep it turning a decent profit, and sold to take a job as a secretary in the school system. Crushed our oldest. Luckily for us, we have a good babysitter and both sets of grandparents nearby, but we're already on about 8 waiting lists for when we want to enroll the baby at 3. Childcare is indeed a problem in our country.

I could see where the work you’d have to do to run a good daycare would crush your soul. I’ve tried doing the math sometimes, and I have no idea how you can run quality affordable childcare. Just nutrition alone is such a hurdle.

Our biggest frustration is that our son (15 months now) still needs two naps a day. That’s fairly normal developmentally though certainly not universal. He started at daycare when he was around 11 months. We were told he wouldn’t get morning naps because he was in a “transition” class getting ready for the toddler program. Well that doesn’t really seem like a transition so much as you’ve transitioned him. So he comes home exhausted and cranky almost every day.

It just sucks when you don’t even have options because the only places available are even worse. Just an awful feeling to drop your child off every day at a place you know is just “fine”. There are certainly benefits for sure like social development and immune system #gains. It just sucks.

Early child development seems to be one of the key factors in achievement gaps, and rich kids are getting a huge head start. I get it. If we made more money, we would get him a nanny in a second.

What blows my mind is how poor folks do it. We’re squarely middle class, and it’s a struggle. Poor single parents must be the hardest working people in the world.

Day care is a pretty new industry historically. It’s gone from an in home informal job to a heavily regulated industry in a few generations. It’s still going through growing pains as our economy requires all parents and potential caregivers work more and more hours.

Yup. All of my neighbors ask because I’m still flying a WF flag in front of my house.

The consensus view I hear from them is that Newman is a Justin Fields type player. They don’t believe me when I say he’s probably more Fromm than Fields.

LOL.

Daycare is in the worst spot as it’s devastatingly expensive for customers and not profitable for owners. Hard to make a good product that way.

Daycare workers don't make shit. National chains have figured out how to turn a profit but they have to charge a good bit to do so.

We combined the our church preschool with a nanny. We thought that having only a nanny would be a little too isolating for the kids.

Just watched a BTK documentary on my Delta flight. It wasn't something I had loaded ahead of time, it was available through the wifi on the flight.

I am pretty sure the lady next to me was a little uncomfortable.

On the bright side, there was no debate about me getting the armrest.

How I feel about this DMB injustice:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back