• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Bringing Back the $%&*?#@($#*@)#(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear you Df07.  Our experiences with Daycare have tested our patience and mettle.  

We've had numerous frustrations with communication, exacerbated by annual Director changes, 'floating' teachers, meaningless daily reports, and unresponsive e-mail correspondence.  At times, we struggled with the storage/use of breast milk, cloth diapers (it's incredible how many teachers have never been exposed to them until they meet our kids), teachers using tablets/phones inappropriately, education 'curriculum', and the questionable kid/teacher ratios we see at different times of the day.  It was rough for a while: we researched and visited several different childcare options, thinking we would make a change.  A couple of acquaintances did make a change.  

But things did get better (some of which was certainly the hardening of our resilience).  And we do see the positives: our kids are growing in so many ways but especially socially, being exposed to all kinds of people and experiences.  Their teachers, bless them, care deeply and do their best despite the long hours, tough conditions, and meager pay, and we do our best to support them and check-in with them.  It's not cheap, but we also aren't dishing out in-home nanny or private Montessori school money, and we get to maintain our dual-income status.

Now that my oldest is in Kindergarten in a totally different environment with new kids, teachers, and parents, it is heartening to see that he was more prepared for KG than the vast majority of his peers and he's flourishing.  

Stay strong my friend - the struggle is real, but you can handle it.  And if you need to make a change, make it.  You'll know what's best for you and your family.

our daycare is pretty great but mostly because it's selective and filled with the kids of college faculty. This year my daughter did get stuck being the oldest in her class of 3 girls and 6 boys and she hasn't gotten as much attention and that's been a little frustrating.

I wonder if, 50 years from now, we'll look back at the switch from a SAHD or SAHM to daycare and go, "what the actual fuck were we thinking?"

So far, best solution I've seen a peer do was to team up with another family and essentially hire a highly qualified full-time Nanny/teacher. Pooled about $45,000 for four kids per year. I thought about joining them, but fucking North Carolina has a stupid law where homeschooling can only have up to two families pooled like this.

i dunno, all the SAH people I know seem borderline crazy and my daughter is light years ahead the kids of relative/inlaws who keep their kids at home

it all depends on the quality of the facility

I mean, I knew Biff was doing well, but I didn't know he was doing full-time nanny well.

I've been really, really slowly working my way through Star Trek Next Generation, like over two years, and I'm 12 episodes in, maybe watch one every couple months. It's so campy and silly at times; do the stakes go up? I assume they do since people love the show. I wanna give it a fair shake. This episode, Datalore, is pretty good in some ways, but it's all so self-contained.

hm Still in Roddenberry's hands, Season 1 is roundly known as the fucking worst.

It improves to baseline TNG "good" in 2 but doesn't get less campy until 3-4; 5-7 is a grown up show.

The problem with that era of TV is that the seasons are 20+ eps.

The good news is you can reliably skip eps you really hate since the current writing fetish of "story arcs" is pretty non existent in TNG until the last season. there are some beats hat carry along but you'll never be lost dropping in anywhere, unless it's a two-parter

ironically, Datalore is one of the few episodes with future references and important Canon details

watching S1 now (even the pilot episode, really) TNG as it was produced would probably not even make it to mid-season in 2020

I've been really, really slowly working my way through Star Trek Next Generation, like over two years, and I'm 12 episodes in, maybe watch one every couple months. It's so campy and silly at times; do the stakes go up? I assume they do since people love the show. I wanna give it a fair shake. This episode, Datalore, is pretty good in some ways, but it's all so self-contained.

It was a great show. I've revisited it once. I don't really care for sci-fi all that much.

To really enjoy watching it, I feel like you probably had to have first dipped into it in the 90s. It was really cool then, but there's just so much about TV that's...different now. The TNG scenes and costumes just don't hold up that well in a world with where we're at now. Writing is good, but it's almost all about what people were dealing with in a pre-9/11 world.

That's a long way of saying 95% of the enjoyment from watching it now comes from nostalgia instead of actually digesting the plot.

a shame CBS has the everything locked up on it's terrible streaming service. the nice part is they're really taking care of the IP and doing some cool stuff, largely making content for fans of Star Trek specifically; respectful of the canon but not slavish to it (IMO). Discovery is not great but getting better; they're doing some fun stuff with the Short Treks.

I'm not sure Picard will be what people "want" or expect; it'll obviously bring in some new subscribers and they might be put off.

I'm glad the Kelvin Timeline (Abrams reboot universe) is basically defunct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back