• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread CCLXV: DDD takes a lover

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really good at unintentionally irritating my wife. And befriending gay high school kids.

yeah the rolling of the Quad post-FSU might've been the best I did. was raining and muddy as hell.
Townie and I, embarrassingly, started the mud-sliding extravaganza. We sprinted out of Poteat ass naked, streaked our way around the quad several times, and started sliding in the mud. The photos from this are still hilarious

One of the most intellectually painful things about being an academic is knowing precisely the identities of all the people in the world who are better than you at what you do best. Rather than comparing ourselves to peers in the workplace or region we can only ever know where we stand in a national or international field.

I get the sentiment, but I defs disagree with this at the level of teaching. Even probably with research. I think recognizability is often used as a synonym for "better" in academia and I think that logic is completely self-defeating.

what is VMI's deal? are they just 100% ROTC? do they have an affiliation with the Army or any branch of the military?

I can really only speak for the humanities here tho.

Maybe there are scientific researchers who are "better" (more perceptive, more motivated)?

Being top 1% of something worldwide is like you and 78 million people, pretty easy considering the conditions a lot of people find themselves around the globe. Next top 1% in the United States is like 3 million people. Most people suck and are dumb embrace your superiority.

Being top 1% of something worldwide is like you and 78 million people, pretty easy considering the conditions a lot of people find themselves around the globe. Next top 1% in the United States is like 3 million people. Most people suck and are dumb embrace your superiority.

Yeah, I'm probably in the top 1% of Americans in just about everything. Including golf. But not including fellatio or buttstuff.

I kind of lost it on my soccer guys last night because we picked up 7 yellows in a game and I asked one of my seniors today if their coach last year ever yelled at them like that and he responded, "well, I don't recall Coach Bare ever making anyone cry" so apparently I can be mean on occasion.

I get the sentiment, but I defs disagree with this at the level of teaching. Even probably with research. I think recognizability is often used as a synonym for "better" in academia and I think that logic is completely self-defeating.
I can really only speak for the humanities here tho.

Maybe there are scientific researchers who are "better" (more perceptive, more motivated)?
I'm definitely not thinking of teaching here, mostly because teaching is so much more difficult to quantify than research production. (Also, TK, I was initially responding to your probably true contention that you would be a better teacher than more than half a room of randomly-selected people in your field!)

This doesn't always align, of course, with who gets what jobs or grants. And institutional type and rank also determines how much time and resources you have to (or get to) commit to research. But while I can't speak for your field or others, I don't find it particularly difficult to distinguish who in my small area of the research world I find "more perceptive, more motivated" than me. Or a better or more efficient writer, or a more creative thinker.

My point is mostly that if you asked me right now a form of PhDeac"s "plama pinball" question, I could easily name the twenty people with whom I compete for publications, jobs, fellowships, etc.

what is VMI's deal? are they just 100% ROTC? do they have an affiliation with the Army or any branch of the military?

I did some light research on this last night, they're not officially affiliated with army/any branch, just a military school in terms of expectations and such, and everyone is required to do the ROTC program. I think around 50% actually become enlisted officers after graduation.

I kind of lost it on my soccer guys last night because we picked up 7 yellows in a game and I asked one of my seniors today if their coach last year ever yelled at them like that and he responded, "well, I don't recall Coach Bare ever making anyone cry" so apparently I can be mean on occasion.

you and claws with similar vibes last night, then

IJq74OP.png

You can look at vitaes and see accomplishments. Most people are recognizable for a reason.

I did some light research on this last night, they're not officially affiliated with army/any branch, just a military school in terms of expectations and such, and everyone is required to do the ROTC program. I think around 50% actually become enlisted officers after graduation.

what's the point of going? like couldn't get into West Point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back