• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Cheatin' TKory !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If 70ish is ideal (room) temp, I'd much rather it be 40 and sunny than 100 and sunny. I'd also rather it be 30 and snowy than 110 and anything.

If you were to win the lottery, would you move? If so, where? I don't mean 25K scratch off. I'm talking >10 mil.

I'd probably stay where I am and even keep my job. Love our new place in rural FL. The birding is top notch. I would get a cottage in the western Isles of Scotland though. I really miss Scotland.

You're not wrong. I just think it's overwhelmingly likely that your life will be net-negative if you win $10m tomorrow and you don't make major life alterations immediately (that you may or may not enjoy).

More interested in all the positive tropes/futures that seem to shine so brightly that ppl don't consider how such a windfall might lead to some real bad futures for you. Obviously it helps that this group is overwhelmingly white college-ed upper middle class etc. The people who play the lottery everyday are often the people who aren't equipped to have it set up successful future for them. :/

The first thing I would do after winning the lottery is commit every piece of advice in these comments to memory

https://np.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...ppiest_5word_sentence_you_could_hear/chb4v05/

too cold >>> too hot

I am totally in on this, which is a relatively recent thing (within the last 5 years). I've lived in some very hot places (NOLA and Dallas were the hottest), and I've lived in Vermont where I am still cold from the day that the real temp was 30 below. I couldn't wait to get out of Vermont because of the cold and always envisioned that I'd end up back in NOLA, but now as I've gotten older I'm definitely not planning on living anywhere warmer than where I currently am in DC. I've found that I'm able to cope a lot better in the cold than I am when it's unbearably hot out. I'm pretty cranky when I'm hot.

What are your parameters for "too"?

no parameters necessary

(one's subjective understanding of/the feeling of being) too cold >>> (one's subjective understanding of/the feeling of being) too hot

i would rather feel too cold than too hot

If 70ish is ideal (room) temp, I'd much rather it be 40 and sunny than 100 and sunny. I'd also rather it be 30 and snowy than 110 and anything.

But is it a dry heat? If so, give me 100. Anything above 92-95 is pretty rough, but I can take it. I have never not been in a situation below 60 and thought and extra 15 or 20 degrees wouldn't make it better.

no parameters necessary

(one's subjective understanding of/the feeling of being) too cold >>> (one's subjective understanding of/the feeling of being) too hot

i would rather feel too cold than too hot

That is interesting. So when you are cold, do you not feel instant anger/fear of impending death? Maybe even a bit of "oh my god! How long am I going to have to suffer through this before I can go back indoors?"

But is it a dry heat? If so, give me 100. Anything above 92-95 is pretty rough, but I can take it. I have never not been in a situation below 60 and thought and extra 15 or 20 degrees wouldn't make it better.

Doesn't really matter. 40 in bright sun is quite comfortable (I've taken my shirt off and tanned at lunch on ski slopes it feels so warm w/ the altitude). 100 in the sun for more than 30 min is miserable.

Now anything less than about 50 and damp, rainy, misty is a different story. I'd rather it be 25 and snowing than 45 and raining any day.

You're not wrong. I just think it's overwhelmingly likely that your life will be net-negative if you win $10m tomorrow and you don't make major life alterations immediately (that you may or may not enjoy).

More interested in all the positive tropes/futures that seem to shine so brightly that ppl don't consider how such a windfall might lead to some real bad futures for you. Obviously it helps that this group is overwhelmingly white college-ed upper middle class etc. The people who play the lottery everyday are often the people who aren't equipped to have it set up successful future for them. :/

when I lived in West virginia, I lived across the street from the gas station that sold the first Powerball winning ticket north of 100 million or whatever. Like you, the last time this was posted in the chat thread, I commented that it totally ruined the guy's life. One of my high school classmates and a good friend of my brother died in the guy's house of an OD. What a 60 year old man was doing with a 20 year old kid having a drug-fueled binge one can only guess.

Doesn't really matter. 40 in bright sun is quite comfortable (I've taken my shirt off and tanned at lunch on ski slopes it feels so warm w/ the altitude). 100 in the sun for more than 30 min is miserable.

Now anything less than about 50 and damp, rainy, misty is a different story. I'd rather it be 25 and snowing than 45 and raining any day.

I wonder if there as anything genetic that causes some people to prefer one or the other.

Each department in our school has been assigned a "festive song" that we have to record an artistic interpretation on video for and submit to our assistant principal by next Friday and this is legit the lowest point of my professional career.

Holy shit I think I'd quit.

When the pandemic started they tried to get us to record short video lectures for students to watch if they missed class, to which I responded that their are "well produced" short videos on every subject in American and World History, so I'll just link those instead. Got me out of a real pickle because I want to cut myself anytime I listen to myself or see myself on camera for more than a few seconds.

when I lived in West virginia, I lived across the street from the gas station that sold the first Powerball winning ticket north of 100 million or whatever. Like you, the last time this was posted in the chat thread, I commented that it totally ruined the guy's life. One of my high school classmates and a good friend of my brother died in the guy's house of an OD. What a 60 year old man was doing with a 20 year old kid having a drug-fueled binge one can only guess.

He saw a tiger and a tiger saw a man.

Two somewhat random comments (I've been away this morning... Just catching up):

1- When it all falls apart (and it will), it will be swift and seemingly out of nowhere. And there will likely be no real time to prepare and no going back.

2- It has always been interesting to me that humans have such a narrow band of temperatures in which they can survive (and an even tighter band for comfort). When I think about living in other periods of history, I have to remind myself how shitty it would have been to live in a hot, humid climate before air conditioning. Having said that, I hate the cold more.

yeah that reddit comment is an all-timer and a reason I'm bearish on the lottery as a whole (and the rhetoric that lifts it up)

I think if I won multiple millions in the lottery, I'd pay off my mortgage, pay off student loans, buy a house in Scotland and donate the rest to the Nature Conservancy. Maybe keep $300K to send my kids to college and $100K to travel the world and see all the birds.

I took out the garbage last night in my bare feet (roughly 35 degrees outside) and was humbled by the realization of how quickly I would just give up and die if I ever found myself out in the snow without shoes.

Made me think about the girl in Wind River (I think that was the movie where she walked a long way in the show with bare feet).

And I'm originally from upstate NY and used to wear flip-flops everyday, no matter the weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back