• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Cheatin' TKory !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure 10 mil solves my life. I probably get a beach house. Then pay one of you peasants to work my farm.

What kind of standard are you accustomed to if 10 mil doesn't solve your life?

On a related note, my brother stands to inherit north of 20 mil when his father-in-law kicks off. I believe he will become a full time house dad at that point. His wife is a workaholic like her father, though, so she will probably keep her job.

If you were to win the lottery, would you move? If so, where? I don't mean 25K scratch off. I'm talking >10 mil.

no doubt. probably western NC. Boone/Blowing Rock/Vilas somewhere around there. Or Asheville. Or I might go spend time up in Vermont/Maine/NH/etc. to see if I enjoy it & move up there.

just saw this pan insert that is used to make every brownie an edge piece and that may be the stupidest fucking thing I've ever seen

corners are the best part of the brownie. like a cookie - crispy edges, gooey middle.

I'm not moving, but I'm gonna have a second home somewhere warm, probably Mexico

winning the lottery is one of the worst things that can happen to you but I've already argued this on a chat thread before and I don't feel like rehashing it

winning the lottery is one of the worst things that can happen to you but I've already argued this on a chat thread before and I don't feel like rehashing it

The chat thread, like life, is cyclic, dear friend. You wanna talk about breakfast foods again? Fuck it, rehash away.

I personally would improve my life immensely with an extra 10 million or so. And I'm a happy dude.

Definitely somewhere hot. My hatred for cold weather rivals my hatred for uNC.

i'll take my chances. no gifts for any of y'all

I never buy a ticket, but when I drive by a billboard that says 229 million, I can't help but wonder what I would do.

Maybe a dumb question, but lets say you win $100 million in the lottery pre-tax. If you donate $50 million to charity, does that bring your tax liability to basically zero, or is Uncle Sam still going to take his cut? I assume the latter.

Maybe a dumb question, but lets say you win $100 million in the lottery pre-tax. If you donate $50 million to charity, does that bring your tax liability to basically zero, or is Uncle Sam still going to take his cut? I assume the latter.

I could be wrong but I don't think you'd be given a choice to give $50M to charity pretax. You'll be taxed on the $100M and then you can decide what to do with the rest. Uncle Sam is gonna get his before you get to decide what you're going to do with your money.

It can be, sure, but doesn't have to be. Lots of variables. What is your current situation? What brings you stress today? Joy? How intelligent and level-headed are you? What are your family and friends like?

With $10M clear after taxes, I could be one happy, stress-free dude - I believe. With $100M clear I would be just as happy, probably not much happier, but could do a lot more for a lot more other people.

I could be wrong but I don't think you'd be given a choice to give $50M to charity pretax. You'll be taxed on the $100M and then you can decide what to do with the rest. Uncle Sam is gonna get his before you get to decide what you're going to do with your money.

Right - then you would get to deduct the charitable gift when you next file taxes. I'm no tax expert but you probably couldn't benefit from the whole $50M gift in one year so you are probably going to want to spread that out...

It can be, sure, but doesn't have to be. Lots of variables. What is your current situation? What brings you stress today? Joy? How intelligent and level-headed are you? What are your family and friends like?

With $10M clear after taxes, I could be one happy, stress-free dude - I believe. With $100M clear I would be just as happy, probably not much happier, but could do a lot more for a lot more other people.

You're not wrong. I just think it's overwhelmingly likely that your life will be net-negative if you win $10m tomorrow and you don't make major life alterations immediately (that you may or may not enjoy).

More interested in all the positive tropes/futures that seem to shine so brightly that ppl don't consider how such a windfall might lead to some real bad futures for you. Obviously it helps that this group is overwhelmingly white college-ed upper middle class etc. The people who play the lottery everyday are often the people who aren't equipped to have it set up successful future for them. :/

the psychological phenomenon where you have nothing then get something then have it taken away makes you feel worse than if you just have nothing throughout is a real bitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back