• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Cooking > Eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it weird that I wanted to make dinner for my family for my own birthday? Had the opportunity to go out for Indian (my favorite) and just realized I would enjoy preparing an Indian meal more than going to a restaurant.

Why would you enjoy making your favorite food yourself instead of paying the experts to make it for you? I assume this isn’t just some random Indian joint since it’s your favorite.

Hey cookout... when you link directly to a post, the end of the URL ends in "#post[a number]". The link to BBD's post above is https://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/32437-Chat-Thread-Wake-gt-UGA?p=3585501#post3585501.

This looks like it could be the total number of posts on this website, but the sum of posts across the Sports, Pit, Tunnels, Tech Support, and District 13 is 3,487,939. Is there a secret forum here with 100,000 posts? IS THIS OGBOARDS PREMIUM?!?

Why would you enjoy making your favorite food yourself instead of paying the experts to make it for you? I assume this isn’t just some random Indian joint since it’s your favorite.

do you seriously not understand how the act of making might bring more enjoyment than the act of consuming or is this sarcasm

it's well established that Ph prefers to leave everything to the professionals. Say sports opinions. Rather than writing tens of thousands of comments, since that isn't his profession, he simply lets the professional journalists and sports opinion people do it for him, and he just sits back and enjoys hearing what they all have to say.

First World - 21st Century problems. At the risk of sounding too Boomerish, I recall the days when a draft Stroh's at The Safari room was fine drinking. At least if it was too late in the day to go to Simo's for a frosty mug.

I was serving it to you, probably.

How much art/stuff on the walls do y’all have around your place? How about houseplants?

A lot, probably. Too lazy to take care of the plants, though, which is pretty damn lazy. Sort of like being too lazy to fish. It’s not like you got to walk the freaking plant.
On the other hand, they don’t talk back at you.

A lot of reasons - 1. Thoroughly preparing a meal is satisfying and fun if you enjoy cooking and aren’t in a rush, even more so when someone helps you, 2. Compared to my favorite Indian restaurant its about half the price for twice the amount of food. I don’t think mine is *as* good, but it was very tasty. 3. I like to feed people.

do you seriously not understand how the act of making might bring more enjoyment than the act of consuming or is this sarcasm

Depends on the reaction. Since it will be deservedly trashed it will become sarcasm.

Depends on the reaction. Since it will be deservedly trashed it will become sarcasm.

It seems that Ph is then already eating from the trash can all the time ... The name of this trash can is ideology ... *sniff* ... The material force of ideology makes Ph not see what he is effectively eating and so on and so on.

A lot of reasons - 1. Thoroughly preparing a meal is satisfying and fun if you enjoy cooking and aren’t in a rush, even more so when someone helps you, 2. Compared to my favorite Indian restaurant its about half the price for twice the amount of food. I don’t think mine is *as* good, but it was very tasty. 3. I like to feed people.

Fair points. During ordinary times when we can go to restaurants, I’d probably agree. I’m burnt out on cooking because I’m the primary chef for the family.

When someone asks “is it weird if,” they acknowledge someone might think it is weird. For a third party to treat that response like some horrible thing is strange.

When someone asks “is it weird if,” they acknowledge someone might think it is weird. For a third party to treat that response like some horrible thing is strange.

No problem here, I was just making conversation. I learned a few years back that in many parts of the world it’s actually more traditional for people to throw their own birthday parties and host their friends, and that just felt better to me. I enjoy being a party host much more than being a party guest.

I thoroughly love cooking and use any excuse I can, including my birthday, to set out the time to be able to do it.

No problem here, I was just making conversation. I learned a few years back that in many parts of the world it’s actually more traditional for people to throw their own birthday parties and host their friends, and that just felt better to me. I enjoy being a party host much more than being a party guest.

Yeah, I cook for my own birthday parties during normal times.

"how do you (or why would you) enjoy..." is a different line of questioning than "is something weird" (or "is something normal/normalized") though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back