• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread DCCV: cookout (thinks he) KILLED the SUPERLIKE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in NC, but at a private company and for STD we're 100% salary 1-18 weeks and 66.67% salary 19-26 weeks. Pay is retroactive to when you first go out once it's approved.

I got a form rejection email to a job app on Friday. Then today I got an email from a person at the company with the exact same message. Thanks, really appreciate that.

Seems like this guy just needs to pull himself up by his bootstraps and rub some dirt on the problem. Since this is America and health insurance is tied to employment, he better start hitting those numbers before he has even bigger issues.

My dad tried to go back to work today and he couldn’t do it. I don’t know what to do for him.

I’m just thinking about my dads boss explaining his PTO/Salary/FMLA situation recently - explaining to a guy hacking up blood in a cancer center that although he has been working 60 hours a week salaried for the past decade, now that his 50 hours of PTO are spent, he is now an hourly employee - but if he applies for unpaid FMLA his job will be protected for 12 weeks, at the cost of $21 per week.

Yep, constant requests to donate to someone's catastrophic leave.
I don't mind donating sick time- it doesn't pay out if I leave, and I've done two extended fully-paid maternity leaves and still have more sick hours than I could ever conceive of using (knock on wood).

So to the point about not wanting to know much about people's personal situations. At some point i am going to have to lay people off...it's inevitable. i will be told that i have to trim my team by X headcount. I feel like I have to be as objective as possible when that happens. Knowing that one guy is a single dad, or that someone's wife is sick clouds that. I don't like it...but i don't know how to separate those things when it comes down to layoff time, etc.

I’m just thinking about my dads boss explaining his PTO/Salary/FMLA situation recently - explaining to a guy hacking up blood in a cancer center that although he has been working 60 hours a week salaried for the past decade, now that his 50 hours of PTO are spent, he is now an hourly employee - but if he applies for unpaid FMLA his job will be protected for 12 weeks, at the cost of $21 per week.
It's a really stupid, broken system and layering it onto bipartisan politics makes it all 1000 times worse. I feel for your dad (and you) as you try to figure things out.

So to the point about not wanting to know much about people's personal situations. At some point i am going to have to lay people off...it's inevitable. i will be told that i have to trim my team by X headcount. I feel like I have to be as objective as possible when that happens. Knowing that one guy is a single dad, or that someone's wife is sick clouds that. I don't like it...but i don't know how to separate those things when it comes down to layoff time, etc.
Your only option is to be objective. You cannot be personal, unless you like lawsuits. What standardized performance metrics do you have for everyone? You have to just ruthlessly go by that, and for the impacted folks you fight tooth and nail to get them an incredible severance and provide them with whatever reasonable glowing review you can for any future job searches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back