• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread DCCV: cookout (thinks he) KILLED the SUPERLIKE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tell my team to take as much time as they want, again knowing they are responsible for the quota. I also suggest they track the exact number of days so they can be sure to use at least 3 to 4 weeks a year. it's really easy to not use as much as you should when you don't have to put it in a tracking platform.
I pretty much support this approach. I tell my students and post-docs that we have project deadlines that we need to meet and as long as we meet them I don't care what office hours they keep or if they take vacation etc., in fact I encourage them to take the time they need...but there will be problems if the contracted project deadline is missed because they failed to get their work done. Only real difference is that we are not talking about month to month quotas or deadlines, these are semi-annual or annual reporting requirements to the contract sponsor or multi-year project contracts, so taking an extra week in January to rest and relax, can easily be covered before the final report deadline in September. But it you take an unplanned 10 days off 2-weeks before a project end date that can require some paperwork.

Let me tell LadyYB that I’ll need to work the three weeks I have off in the summer for wedding & honeymoon and see how that goes over.

All I’m really learning in the last few pages is that being in sales seems like a miserable existence
Yeah, but man, being in a commission based job that rewards success and hard work after spending your whole career working for a very indifferent state is a hell of a motivator.

Yeah, but man, being in a commission based job that rewards success and hard work after spending your whole career working for a very indifferent state is a hell of a motivator.
Oh, I'm sure making more money based on how successful you are is nice.

But the constant stress of knowing that if I don't hit whatever numbers have been assigned to me that I will lose my job is simply not for me. Add in that all I really am to my boss is that quota, and I'm definitely out

You get 3 weeks of paid PTO per year by your company. You want to take a 4 week vacation. They don't tell you no or fire you for not showing up, they allow you to go, it's just that last week is not paid. That's how my company is, and it sounds similar to what you described.

y'all acting like someone who doesn't do their job for a couple of months should keep getting paid. there's short term disability if you need time off, but that never pays like the actual job does.
I don't think it's at all about a person not doing their job for a few months. It could just be a person being unofficially given some grace after a medical event that was potentially caused by stress from the job

also we set people's goals to allow them to use vacation. They can take as much time off as they need, but they know that they're responsible for their annual goals within that framework. its not unreasonable.

he got grace - "take as much time off as you need." Where it goes south is "please credit my numbers for the year for sales I probably would have made during my time off."

he got grace - "take as much time off as you need." Where it goes south is "please credit my numbers for the year for sales I probably would have made during my time off."
To me, getting grace would be a reduction in short term expectations based on the need to take some time off due to the medical event.

Being told to take time off, with the implicit expectation that you still have to hit the same numbers, isn't really being given anything. At best, it's just making your life harder later

When you are making the number it's awesome. When i was in a direct sales role I rarely worked past 3:00 and made a bunch of money.
When you aren't it's stressful as hell
I wish making the number was enough though, because there's always that pressure to just absolutely crush the goals. Then when you do that though goals go up and you have to work even harder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back