• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread DCCV: cookout (thinks he) KILLED the SUPERLIKE

Status
Not open for further replies.
not real connections...

In my experience with our sales department (B2B sales) our most successful sales people (by raw numbers) are either:

1. Genuinely caring people who make absolutely insane connections with their clients (very rare, have only seen 2-3 people like this over 10 years)
2. Absolute psychos who are ridiculously good at manipulating people and getting them to trust you. Half the time these people end up leaving the company with lots of drama.

Then there are a looooot of people in the middle who are just kind of mid at the job, but still do decent enough to probably justify the salary.

I credit my companies success mostly to managing to hold onto the sales people in bucket 1 for long enough

You are stressed about making an arbitrary quota set probably by some AI overlord, so missing time to deal with the stress of missing quota leaves you less time to make quota upon your return and thus medical leave does nothing for you.

okay but giving him empty promises like:

"i told him he should take some time off and get healthy. Told him i totally support him being out for as long as he need"

is also playing the middle road. You either don't actually support him or you have no power to support him (not sure which tbh).
not really... if he needs to take PTO (unlimited BTW) we can cover for him like we do anyone on PTO, but time off doesn't ever absolve you from the quota. It may seem strange to those not in sales but that's just how it works.

not really... if he needs to take PTO (unlimited BTW) we can cover for him like we do anyone on PTO, but time off doesn't ever absolve you from the quota. It may seem strange to those not in sales but that's just how it works.
"unlimited"

This just feels like it could be one of those cases where some true PTO and flexibility/understanding could help prevent other larger issues down the line (e.g. his medical issues getting worse such that he actually has to take a long medical leave), so it might be more productive long term to try and allow for that. OFC Wall Street cares more about quarterly performance than long-term performance or sustainability.

Obviously we don't have all the details here (this person's tenure at the company, past performance indicators etc.), so I'm gonna be inclined to interpret things in the employees favor.

i was just pointing out that taking it didn't limit his ability to take more in the future...
understood, I’m not purposefully antagonizing - I’ve heard of people having an unlimited PTO benefit and how those positions usually are high pressure and actually discourage PTO use, so it’s interesting to see how that actually works.

In my experience with our sales department (B2B sales) our most successful sales people (by raw numbers) are either:

1. Genuinely caring people who make absolutely insane connections with their clients (very rare, have only seen 2-3 people like this over 10 years)
2. Absolute psychos who are ridiculously good at manipulating people and getting them to trust you. Half the time these people end up leaving the company with lots of drama.

Then there are a looooot of people in the middle who are just kind of mid at the job, but still do decent enough to probably justify the salary.

I credit my companies success mostly to managing to hold onto the sales people in bucket 1 for long enough
I wonder which of these my wife falls into.

"unlimited"

This just feels like it could be one of those cases where some true PTO and flexibility/understanding could help prevent other larger issues down the line (e.g. his medical issues getting worse such that he actually has to take a long medical leave), so it might be more productive long term to try and allow for that. OFC Wall Street cares more about quarterly performance than long-term performance or sustainability.

Obviously we don't have all the details here (this person's tenure at the company, past performance indicators etc.), so I'm gonna be inclined to interpret things in the employees favor.
reality is there is nothing i can do to give some grace on the number. If he wants to be off the number it is leave, and someone else gets his sales while on leave if there are any. If he wants to use PTO, then he is responsible for the number. If treated him differently because of a medical situation, HR would freak out over it.

understood, I’m not purposefully antagonizing - I’ve heard of people having an unlimited PTO benefit and how those positions usually are high pressure and actually discourage PTO use, so it’s interesting to see how that actually works.
I tell my team to take as much time as they want, again knowing they are responsible for the quota. I also suggest they track the exact number of days so they can be sure to use at least 3 to 4 weeks a year. it's really easy to not use as much as you should when you don't have to put it in a tracking platform.

My dad actually has a salaried position, but where he works, once you run out of PTO you are converted from salary to hourly. Kind of impressive how we pervert labels to appear like a benefit, but only work as a detriment.

My dad actually has a salaried position, but where he works, once you run out of PTO you are converted from salary to hourly. Kind of impressive how we pervert labels to appear like a benefit, but only work as a detriment.
That seems like a good thing. You get some weeks of paid PTO, but if you run out you can still take more, it's just not paid for by the company

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back