• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Finite: See you in church!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beach beach beach

speaking of ohio beaches: we were driving through ohio on Monday and I asked Kory if he thought the Penn State scandal probably hurt Sandusky/Cedar Point tourism. he said "yes absolutely" without hesitation

what say you, ct

Just got back from grabbing lunch and running an errand and decided to throw some brownies in the oven (with sea salt on top) because why not? Eff it.

How was Sunset? Man every day was perfect beach weather. I heard there was a house fire near you guys earlier in the week.

It really was the best week-long weather I can remember. I'm heading back to Dirty Myrtle next weekend - gotta get as much beach in as possible.

And yeah, someone left their charcoal grill unattended on a deck. The wind blew it over and the embers started a fire. It messed up a couple houses.

It really was the best week-long weather I can remember. I'm heading back to Dirty Myrtle next weekend - gotta get as much beach in as possible.

And yeah, someone left their charcoal grill unattended on a deck. The wind blew it over and the embers started a fire. It messed up a couple houses.
Did you hear that crazy storm Saturday morning?

Saturday I went out fishing at 4am to catch the low tide. I like to fish at a deep hole in the back bay / inlet area that can only be accessed by foot over a long sandbar during low tide (think Koopa Troopa Beach sandbar shortcut in MarioKart) and it's about a 3/4 of a mile walk from the beach house. I caught 3 nice sized Porgy in only a few minutes of fishing and then I heard thunder. 'Bite's on! Not gonna hit me!' Then about a minute later I felt rain drops. 'Alright I'll keep my eye on this.' As soon as I turned my head to try and decipher a storm in the night sky, a blast of lightning struck a few miles away and it illuminated a long dark squall line. I immediately reeled in the lines under multiple quick outbursts of F-bombs, knowing I needed to travel 3/4 of a mile on an open beach with 2 metal rods serving as 6 foot antennas. Sprinting back, I held the rods parallel to the beach. Another blast of lightning. Granted it likely struck multiple miles away, but in that moment, it felt way too close. The beach is still about 1/4 of a mile away. I'm thinking, 'What is the probability of being struck by lightning with rods vs. without rods? Is ~$100 worth of fishing rods worth my life?' In a moment of System 1 instinctive thinking I found the apex of the sandbar and I dropped my rods for a hopeful reunion once the storm passed. I sprinted back to the best of ability (only needed two breaks!) and I collapsed onto a chair as the storm roared through. I cleaned the Porgy and threw away the carcases. 6:30am. I washed my hands and made breakfast. 8am. So much for a quick-hitting summer storm; this guy's here to stay. I got out my phone and went to a lightning tracker website. There were three lightning strikes within a mile radius around 6am and there were still intermittent strikes within a 10 mile radius. Putting my potential rod reunion on hold, I took a nap and woke up at 10am. At this point it's high tide and I began to mentally accept losing the rods. I got on a bike and started to ride to the sandbar. Of course I didn't mentally process that high tide bike riding is way more difficult than low tide bike riding. I built up speed to enter the beach and I flipped over the bike as the bike stuck in the soft sand. Eff this day. Finding the rods proved fruitless and I rode back defeated. The rest of the day I drank a lot of bourbon. We made it out to the beach around 2pm. As we set up the tent, I noticed a Hispanic gentlemen walking on the beach with his wife and three kids carrying two rods. Hmm, those rods look familiar... Dude was super nice about returning them to me, and I gave him a bunch of fishing rigs as a finder's fee. Things are coming up!!

We ended the night with a killer fish fry (Whiting, Porgy, Black Drum, Croaker):

Last edited:
I was gonna say a Smartass "cool story bro" but That's actually a pretty good story. I just had outdoor shower beer (thanks for the inspiration AWAR!) and it was rad.

booked my ticket to Chicago for next month - thanks for the encouragement/advice!

Has anyone been to a Second City show? I know it's a touristy thing now, but me and the wife are really big SNL fans

RTQ totes gonna find herself in a long distance relationship soon

Nice! We just booked non stop round trip tickets from Raleigh to Chicago through United for 87$

booked my ticket to Chicago for next month - thanks for the encouragement/advice!

Has anyone been to a Second City show? I know it's a touristy thing now, but me and the wife are really big SNL fans

You all are making me jealous. Chicago is an awesome city.

Second City puts on a great show. We have been several times and love it every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back