• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Going To The Mattresses !!! !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using Imperfect Foods for 100% of your grocery shopping is pretty impressive. I have trouble with delivery groceries because it seems like with every delivery something is missing, or a substitution was made incorrectly, or the quality of what was chosen is terrible. So if I have a recipe that I'm trying to follow exactly I am usually thwarted by something that I otherwise would have changed up if I were shopping in person and knew that the item wasn't available.

Speaking of delivery issues, we ordered meat from Harvey's (the butcher in Union Market, which I love) through Mercato the other day, and we never got an email, text or call, and the person didn't ring our bell or knock. They just left the meat in our flower box in the sweltering sun and it was 2.5 hours before we noticed (pulled up our Nest doorbell cam and found when she delivered it - because she never came up on the stoop we didn't get a notification that someone was at the door). By the time we picked up the meat it was physically hot and went straight into the trash. At least I did get my money back with zero hassle, but still irritating. But I did just go over to Harvey's the next day and it was beautiful. Literally only like 6 other shoppers in the entirety of Union Market, so that's what I'll do from now on.

Using Imperfect Foods for 100% of your grocery shopping is pretty impressive. I have trouble with delivery groceries because it seems like with every delivery something is missing, or a substitution was made incorrectly, or the quality of what was chosen is terrible. So if I have a recipe that I'm trying to follow exactly I am usually thwarted by something that I otherwise would have changed up if I were shopping in person and knew that the item wasn't available.

Speaking of delivery issues, we ordered meat from Harvey's (the butcher in Union Market, which I love) through Mercato the other day, and we never got an email, text or call, and the person didn't ring our bell or knock. They just left the meat in our flower box in the sweltering sun and it was 2.5 hours before we noticed (pulled up our Nest doorbell cam and found when she delivered it - because she never came up on the stoop we didn't get a notification that someone was at the door). By the time we picked up the meat it was physically hot and went straight into the trash. At least I did get my money back with zero hassle, but still irritating. But I did just go over to Harvey's the next day and it was beautiful. Literally only like 6 other shoppers in the entirety of Union Market, so that's what I'll do from now on.

We will revert back to grocery shopping in a post-covid world, I'm sure. I like Imperfect mostly for the now, and because of my wife's dietary preferences and restrictions during pregnancy, but if I wanted to get back to my normal cooking routine and beyond into experimentation, I definitely couldn't. I should say I also do some specialty shopping elsewhere for meat and spices and like...anchovy paste and chili oil and what not.

As for Harvey's, they rule. I have never done the delivery service there, only pickup, but best butcher in DC imho.

Like a full red circle, or a red "O" shaped-thing? I feel like I saw the hollow red circle on dating apps somewhat recently and looked it up and figured it out, but now I think I made that up because I don't remember anything and I just looked it up and didn't see anything.

yeah!

the hollow one!

I've been doing grocery delivery some for the first time and you definitely get some less-than-ideal produce picks sometimes

woof defs had a few struggle moments during lecture today

not a fan of synchronous digital lectures - something about being in the classroom and not having an actual whiteboard throws off my game

though also this is the day where i ask students to work figurative and dramatic language into their speeches and that's usually tough for the non-Tribble kids so it was kind of a double whammy

sorry students

also there's the issue of compressing a public speaking semester into 6 weeks (my first time with that) so sorry some more students

Chat Thread: Congrats to All Mafia Participants !!! You're All Winners !!!!!

woof defs had a few struggle moments during lecture today

not a fan of synchronous digital lectures - something about being in the classroom and not having an actual whiteboard throws off my game

It’s been a struggle so far, to say the least. I felt like this yesterday after finishing my first week of lecturing. I just wish we had access to platforms designed to accommodate the types of teaching we’re expected to do. I know faculty who teach online, but they have the appropriate platform and training to teach well online. This Zoom debacle is impossible.

It’s been a struggle so far, to say the least. I felt like this yesterday after finishing my first week of lecturing. I just wish we had access to platforms designed to accommodate the types of teaching we’re expected to do. I know faculty who teach online, but they have the appropriate platform and training to teach well online. This Zoom debacle is impossible.

You or TK ever think of getting rj to guest lecture for you? Not sure what y’all teach, but he is likely an expert on the subject.

So I haven’t seen a single Bourdain Parts Unknown since he died, but I’ve had them all on my DVD this whole time. Finally watched the first ep that aired after his death tonight.

Going back to earlier convo but we tried Imperfect Foods, Misfit Market, AND Hungry Root (not really at all the same) when Covid first hit and we were struggling to get groceries. Ended up just sticking with Misfit because it was the cheapest and their stuff was generally better quality than Imperfect (who screwed up a lot of orders and constantly packed things terribly so that by the time it was delivered half the stuff was ruined). I did like that I could get MEAT from Imperfect Foods though.

I wonder if that's a local issue, 2009. My guess is the model is based on local availability at warehouses and distribution centers. Like I know for example the delivery service where you are is FedEx, whereas there are Imperfect Food drivers here in DC. We've not had issues so much with availability (maybe 1-2 items per order) or quality, but the whole concept of the service is about visually imperfect or otherwise unsellable foods, so I think some of it is to be expected. I've been pretty impressed, and I know our friends in Seattle have been pretty active with it, but I could see how it's not great for everyone. It's probably meant to be supplementary more than replace the grocery experience altogether, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back