• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread lame titles. Owning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my favorite moments at Wake is when the Intro to the Bible teacher got half the class up in arms by telling them the four gospels weren't all written contemporaneously with the life of Jesus. People flat out refused to accept that and spent half an hour arguing over it.

#alternativefacts

Several people thought that Mark, Matthew, Luke, and John were real people who individually published these accounts as first-hand information. As in a dude named Mark was sitting down recording what he saw and that this was the gospel of Mark.

Yah my intro to the Bible class was dope at Wake

Really really old professor, forget his name now

Well, to me, Revelation is PRETTTTTTY far out there with some wild ass stories about end times. Once someone says they believe the Bible is the word of God, I'm always curious to hear if they're all in on how Revelation is gonna go down because that's some pretty twisted and sick stuff.

Agreed - again, it's hard to believe. My take on that: John saw a vision of the end times and yes, there was some freaky shit happening. He did his best to record it as he understood it, but if you read his descriptions, it was clear that he was trying to describe things that he couldn't very well put into words. And while I'm sure it seems like a copout, if I'm willing to believe in God, then I have to also be willing to believe that there are things that He can create that I can't possibly imagine.

I mean I always liked the argument that either god exists and he really sucks at being a god and is a huge dick or he doesn't exist as portrayed with direct interaction.

Agreed - again, it's hard to believe. My take on that: John saw a vision of the end times and yes, there was some freaky shit happening. He did his best to record it as he understood it, but if you read his descriptions, it was clear that he was trying to describe things that he couldn't very well put into words. And while I'm sure it seems like a copout, if I'm willing to believe in God, then I have to also be willing to believe that there are things that He can create that I can't possibly imagine.

Sure. My personal view of it is that I use the credibility of the book as a whole to gauge whether I should believe any of it, rather than accepting from the outset I should believe it and then pigeonholing myself into having to believe the parts that don't make any sense at all.

I always like reminding fundamentalists that their bible is a collection of hand picked books, selected by rulers who had co-opted a slave's religion in order to remain in power, and who wanted to make damn sure that their subjects were as obedient as possible.

In the beginning was the Word, as the Word was with God, and the Word was God, bro. Not that hard.

One of my favorite moments at Wake is when the Intro to the Bible teacher got half the class up in arms by telling them the four gospels weren't all written contemporaneously with the life of Jesus. People flat out refused to accept that and spent half an hour arguing over it.

Dr. Foskett was a great religion professor.

Why the Bible, though? Why not a different religion that explains shit?

Dr. Foskett was a great religion professor.

Yeah it was evident that she did that every year because she prefaced the lecture that day by saying "I know this is going to be a difficult class for many of you, but you need to bear with me through the end of the class."

"Sorry, the correct answer Shintoism. If you had that please move to the right and we will let you in. If you were incorrect then please move to the left and the elevator will be up shortly to take you back down to your final destination."

"Sorry, the correct answer Shintoism. If you had that please move to the right and we will let you in. If you were incorrect then please move to the left and the elevator will be up shortly to take you back down to your final destination."

"ah damn it, i was so sure it was Baptist and all those other Christian options were gonna be so fucked"

Yah my intro to the Bible class was dope at Wake

Really really old professor, forget his name now

It was either Dr. Horton:
s200_fred.horton.jpg

Or Dr. Hoglund:
Kenneth_Hoglund.png

Both were OGs.

Interesting chatting for a Thursday morning.

I had a granola bar for breakfast, by the way. Thanks for asking.

So you can't believe that a universe has always existed, but you can believe a Creator has always existed. And because you believe that, you also believe that that creator has the ability to turn women into salt, but because enough people believe in him today, he doesn't do that anymore.

If a Creator exists, then that proves that there are forces far beyond our comprehension at work. For example, I believe that God created time as we experience it, and so He exists outside of time. I can't believe that a universe has always just existed, because that doesn't answer the question of how it came to exist. If a Creator actually exists, then I can rest easy in the assurance that there's some explanation for His existence.

How vengeful is God for eternally damning the human race because two peeps ate an apple?

He didn't eternally damn the human race for this. God is holy and cannot tolerate sin - it would be like asking you to swim in a pool of acid. He gave humans the choice of whether or not to trust in His assessment of what is right and wrong, and they eventually chose not to trust this - they wanted to see right and wrong through their own eyes. Once they had done so, they were sinful, as we now try to decide for ourselves what is right and wrong. Because God is perfectly holy and perfectly just, sin cannot go completely forgiven, but must have consequence. For centuries God let His people try to atone for their sins, but we aren't perfect and no matter how hard we try, we fall short of His perfection. So instead of the constant "sin-atone-forgive" cycle that is the subject of the OT, God chose to pay the price of sin for all of us, one time. He let Himself be killed as a human, so that we can be forgiven without the constant cycle of trying to keep up with perfection. We instead are forgiven forever when we accept that His sacrifice was sufficient for our sins. In this way, He actually shows His love for us - trying to find a way to allow Himself to share relationship with us even though we are sinful.

This touches on something I've always found interesting. If you were born in certain parts of the world, you were simply never going to be a Christian. And in many other parts, if you were inclined to lean towards a monotheistic religion you would likely be part of the religion that was the most present in your region.

If a Creator exists, then that proves that there are forces far beyond our comprehension at work. For example, I believe that God created time as we experience it, and so He exists outside of time. I can't believe that a universe has always just existed, because that doesn't answer the question of how it came to exist. If a Creator actually exists, then I can rest easy in the assurance that there's some explanation for His existence.

He didn't eternally damn the human race for this. God is holy and cannot tolerate sin - it would be like asking you to swim in a pool of acid. He gave humans the choice of whether or not to trust in His assessment of what is right and wrong, and they eventually chose not to trust this - they wanted to see right and wrong through their own eyes. Once they had done so, they were sinful, as we now try to decide for ourselves what is right and wrong. Because God is perfectly holy and perfectly just, sin cannot go completely forgiven, but must have consequence. For centuries God let His people try to atone for their sins, but we aren't perfect and no matter how hard we try, we fall short of His perfection. So instead of the constant "sin-atone-forgive" cycle that is the subject of the OT, God chose to pay the price of sin for all of us, one time. He let Himself be killed as a human, so that we can be forgiven without the constant cycle of trying to keep up with perfection. We instead are forgiven forever when we accept that His sacrifice was sufficient for our sins. In this way, He actually shows His love for us - trying to find a way to allow Himself to share relationship with us even though we are sinful.

I didn't choose shit. I a'int damned because my 1287th great grandfather ate an apple. That's his own damn fault.

He's sooooo judgy too. OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALLOWING YOURSELF TO SHARE A RELATIONSHIP WITH US EVEN THOUGH WE SINNED.

He's basically the dude who goes out to bars but doesn't drink and just gives you the side eye all night as you're taking shots. I don't need that negativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back