• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread - Lectro Busy Biting His MyPillow !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to try to go to where the cover of Houses of the Holy was shot, but that's in Antrim, Northern Ireland -- The GIANT'S Causeway. Best I can tell, we're going anti-clockwise (like that?) from Dublin to Athlone to Doolin to Cork to Dublin, so we'll be pretty south. Maybe I'll just make Houses of the Holy my trip soundtrack. I think it was pretty much my first favorite album. I was pretty metal rocking that shit in 3rd grade while reading the salacious partly true/mostly apocryphal (or is it the other way around?) Zep bio Hammer of the Gods.

Anyone ever go to Sean's The World's Oldest Pub in Athlone? Sounds gimmicky, but a friend of mine went and she said to stop by.

Last edited:
I wanted to try to go to where the cover of Houses of the Holy was shot, but that's in Antrim, Northern Ireland -- The GIANT'S Causeway. Best I can tell, we're going anti-clockwise (like that?) from Dublin to Athlone to Doolin to Cork to Dublin, so we'll be pretty south. Maybe I'll just make Houses of the Holy my trip soundtrack. I think it was pretty much my first favorite album. I was pretty metal rocking that shit in 3rd grade while reading the salacious partly true/mostly apocryphal Zep bio Hammer of the Gods.

Anyone ever go to Sean's The World's Oldest Pub in Athlone? Sounds gimmicky, but a friend of mine went and she said to stop by.

Cover photo for The Unforgettable Fire was taken just outside of Athlone at Moydrum Castle.

what artist do y'all think has had the greatest impact on you personally

maybe vonnegut for me - yung K was into the vonnegut lit
or pynchon for my paranoid moments - made the anxiety of undergrad bearable

doesn't have to be writers but that's just what comes to mind

Hypothetically, say you could go on a one week vacation in June to anywhere in the Continental US and the hotel is covered (up to $250 a night, so no Green Briar), but flight is not. Where would you travel to. Current ideas are: Nantucket, Key West, Asheville.

Warren Zevon

Hypothetically, say you could go on a one week vacation in June to anywhere in the Continental US and the hotel is covered (up to $250 a night, so no Green Briar), but flight is not. Where would you travel to. Current ideas are: Nantucket, Key West, Asheville.

the Keys are cool, but don't expect a good beach destination. you need a boat to really enjoy them. Asheville is obvi fun but why go there when Valhalla aka Hickory is just down 40? I might consider San Francisco/Napa/Sonoma.

Maine - never been, plenty to do/explore, incredible seafood. Hit several coastal towns and Acadia. Maybe fly into Boston if it's significantly cheaper. Could also do Cape Cod for a couple days.

You're not getting anything for $250 on Nantucket in June. You might find some lower end places on Martha's Vineyard for that.

in high school it was kerouac, in college it was calvino or kundera, and then after college it has been david foster wallace

What do you want to do? Beach? Bars? Food? Hike?

I'd look into adequate lodging outside the gate of Yosemite around $250/night.

I guess I think mainly in musical terms so it would be: younger Chupe - Zeppelin; older Chupe - Steely Dan; always Chupe - Bach

We love Nantucket...my in-laws live on Cape Cod so it’s fairly easy for us to pop over. We’ve done both long weekends and week-long stays. Beaches on the south shore are beautiful with good surf. Great restaurants and bars in town. Cobblestone streets and old whaling captain homes Chicken Box has decent bands on the weekends. Cisco Brewery might be my favorite place around...just a cool, relaxing vibe. Nice cross-section of surfers, the uber wealthy, locals, and brewery staff. It’s on an old farm that started out as a brewery but now also is a distillery and winery. Live music and food trucks...just a great place to hang after the beach (it closes by 7-8pm). You can bike around the entire island pretty easily...there are some paths connecting everything.

Nantucket Whaling Museum is amazing. Recounts the island’s vast history which is pretty remarkable given its small size. Read “In the Heart of the Sea” beforehand if you go...tells the tale of the whale ship Essex but also gives a good historical background on the island.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back