• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread - Lectro Busy Biting His MyPillow !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell 12-Steps guy that he’s designated driver. Ireland is a drinking trip.

Doolin is great. I remember a pub that was out in a field from town that was one of the best on our entire trip. I think they’ve restricted people’s movement around the cliffs now because people kept falling off. Used to be able to go anywhere you want really.

Got married in Doolin...cool little town, the traditional Irish music “capital” of Ireland. It’s been a while but check out the two major pubs in town for good craic and music: O’Connor’s and McGann’s. Liked the latter better, more chill, less touristy.

Def check out the Cliffs, either by land or sea. There’s a ferry in Doolin that runs to the Aran Islands that does the Cliffs as well. Take a hike in the Burren..pretty unique landscape. Neighboring towns of Lisdoonvarna and Ballyvaughan are nice if you’re looking to do a little traditional Irish town road tripping. If you want to take a bigger trip, drive north to Moran’s in Galway. Famous for its oysters...in lieu of a rehearsal dinner, we rented a bus and hit Moran’s on the first stop of a pub crawl down the coast back to Doolin. Enjoy!

You guys rock.

One of my travel mates is in recovery, so there has been talk of making this a dry trip, but I’m not sure how that would work, really. I still want to drink, just not Bushmills, that’s a Protestant whiskey. I don’t really do beer anymore because of the glutens (I know, I know), but I may test that out because I’ve heard it’s different in “Europe.”

The city view from the tap room at the Guinness factory is one of the best in Dublin.

When I studied abroad the school gym had a pub. It would be hard to do an Ireland trip dry because pub culture is such a big part of the culture. It’s less like American bars and more a communal gathering spot.

How well do you know Lisboa and the various neighborhoods? If I were looking there and wanted to be close to all of the stuff, I'd probably look in Chiado, Bairro Alto and Príncipe Real. I've spent a lot of time in all three and they each have something different to offer.

Not at all. Uncle Sam will be providing the housing, so we will get what we are given. But rec's on restaurants, beaches or golf courses would be cool.

Alright here we go:

Arrival night Athlone Bastion B and B. Next 2 nights Doolin on western coast-traditional music area. Then on to Cork county for 3 nights. Last 3 nights in Dublin at hotel-trinity city I think. Near Trinity college and Temple Bar area and more music places.

So if any of those places are familiar, hit me up with recs. I know there are a couple of Ireland threads that I will have to dig up, too.

When you are in Cork, head down to Kinsale. Can't recommend it enough. Great bars and music scene, usually two locals will set up at the White House Pub. When you are in Doolin, head up to Galway for a day, its a college town with a ton to do at night, but the day is pretty meh, its close enough to the Cliffs to do both in the same day. Cliffs are not fun driving so maybe do a tour. Get the insurance on the rental car, its more money but you will be more relaxed driving.

Did 7 days driving around Ireland last year. By day 3 my back was killing me. When I went to the pharmacist he said he sees it all the time from Americans because we are so tense while driving.

You guys rock.

One of my travel mates is in recovery, so there has been talk of making this a dry trip, but I’m not sure how that would work, really. I still want to drink, just not Bushmills, that’s a Protestant whiskey. I don’t really do beer anymore because of the glutens (I know, I know), but I may test that out because I’ve heard it’s different in “Europe.”

Dry trip to Ireland? What;s the point?

I've been to Dublin twice, and my favorite spot was the pub by my AirBnB on Capel Street called Slatterys.

Proper pub, little tourists and always a few regulars.

Make sure to go to Trinity College and do the Guinness tour. As Tim said the views from the top are awesome.

Also I highly highly suggest going to the Irish Emigration museum. It had just opened when I was there last year and was hella interesting.

https://epicchq.com/

the Kilmainham Gaol (jail) tour in Dublin is also really cool, lots of the revolutionaries were locked up there

Well, I don't think it will be dry, we were just considering it, and I guess the point would just be so that she wouldn't feel (as much) pressure to start drinking again? I don't know -- we always have Thanksgiving together with this family and both she and her youngest brother are alcoholics and there was plenty of wine and beer there this year, so maybe it will be fine. It was just something that had been floated, I think in part by her mom to get her to commit when she was on the fence. I'm sure I will have some alone time to wander and partake, regardless. But yeah, I get that just hanging in the pub is part of the culture, so we'll see how it goes. I think she's pretty steady right now, and hangs out in bars and around people drinking often, so it will probably be cool.

Anyway, these are all great recs. I appreciate it.

Jameson distillery is fun too. My wife studied abroad in Dublin and liked countryside stuff the best like hikes and shit. But there's something about just hanging in a pub listening to folk music eating bread and stew and drinking lukewarm dark beers too, maybe throw some darts, watch rugby.

Also really liked spending a night in Drogheda where they still hate Oliver Cromwell very much. Went out to Newgrange to check out the passage tomb that's older than the pyrmaids.

Guys, I pronounce the Chat Thread is officially BACK. Best one is a long time.

And its finna be golf season soon, bitches.

Jameson distillery is fun too. My wife studied abroad in Dublin and liked countryside stuff the best like hikes and shit. But there's something about just hanging in a pub listening to folk music eating bread and stew and drinking lukewarm dark beers too, maybe throw some darts, watch rugby.

If you want to get really radical try and find a hurling match.

My first day in Ireland was the day of the All Ireland hurling final and it was bananas. Cork won and they’re the rebels so (in 2004) there were confederate flags flying all over the place. It was pretty surreal.

Like you wouldn't have fun at a rebel curling event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back