• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread - Lectro Busy Biting His MyPillow !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where in Ireland?

Good question. My mother so far has yet to release the itinerary despite my repeated requests. The only places I know for sure are Doolin and Dublin. We'll be there for 10 days and driving around -- five of us total. I think we end with two or three days in Dublin.

I'm sure going to Ireland is a grand time, but I've been to a few cultural festivals in my day and the Irish Festival I went to in Chicago last year is easily my least favorite

You mean belligerent drunk Americans celebrating "Irish culture" is not as good as going to Ireland??? #scooooooooooop.

Ireland is awesome. Want to go back.

no, I mean among all cultural festivals I've been to that Irish was the least fun

hit an Irish pub for a session when I was in Montreal over break

best part of the trip

Alright here we go:

Arrival night Athlone Bastion B and B. Next 2 nights Doolin on western coast-traditional music area. Then on to Cork county for 3 nights. Last 3 nights in Dublin at hotel-trinity city I think. Near Trinity college and Temple Bar area and more music places.

So if any of those places are familiar, hit me up with recs. I know there are a couple of Ireland threads that I will have to dig up, too.

Alright here we go:

Arrival night Athlone Bastion B and B. Next 2 nights Doolin on western coast-traditional music area. Then on to Cork county for 3 nights. Last 3 nights in Dublin at hotel-trinity city I think. Near Trinity college and Temple Bar area and more music places.

So if any of those places are familiar, hit me up with recs. I know there are a couple of Ireland threads that I will have to dig up, too.

Kinsale and Cobh (pronounced Cove) are cool little towns in County Cork. Kinsale has a good seafood restaurant called Fishy Fishy. Cobh is the last port the Titanic visited and there are a couple of museums dedicated to it.

When you go to Cork, with the Irish accent is sounds like "Cock" so be prepared especially since you'll be with your mom.

Chat Thread - Into the Spider-Mett-Verse !

Temple Bar is very touristy but definitely hit up Porterhouse there. They brew their own beer and have live music. Was one of my favorite parts when studying abroad.

Last edited:
also in Cork city there's a really cool brewpub called Franciscan Well that has really good pizza. they age some of their beers in Jameson barrels, and Jameson takes those barrels back and in turn ages fully mature whiskey in there and sells it as Jameson Caskmates which I think is quite good, although I generally don't like Jameson.

In Doolin I assume you are doing the cliffs, so it’s worth it to take a boat tour out or you are really just standing on what you want to be looking at, plus it’s pretty cheap. There’s a town northeast of Doolin called Lisdoonvarna, in it is Burren smokehouse with some of the best smoked salmon, with a restaurant also attached called the burren storehouse.

Depending on which direction you go back to Dublin from Cork, if it’s up M8 then I’d recommend a stop at Castle Durrow, especially if it’s a weekend and brunch is being served.

My favorite bar in Dublin is The Bleeding Horse on Camden St. They have Guinness taps at each table and you simply pour your own...

You guys rock.

One of my travel mates is in recovery, so there has been talk of making this a dry trip, but I’m not sure how that would work, really. I still want to drink, just not Bushmills, that’s a Protestant whiskey. I don’t really do beer anymore because of the glutens (I know, I know), but I may test that out because I’ve heard it’s different in “Europe.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back