• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread LXIX - Nespresso Monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.
but also from AP Psych which just talks about Freud and from the one psych class that I don't even remember mentioning Freud

Partially true, but venue owners also get squeezed or even sold to LiveNation itself. I know you just think “if owners sell, it’s because they want to make money, we should applaud both them and the big company for their feats of business” which as ever just completely ignores the experience of patrons of the business itself.

So many good small-to-midsized venues closed during the pandemic. That’s where the great majority of bands get booked, not in big arenas or amphitheaters where, of course, it makes sense to partner with a big company to sell tickets and promote shows. But theaters and rooms were doing fine before Covid fucked everything up, and most places couldn’t keep up with rent without customers, much less this latest inflation wave that makes labor and lighting and equipment and everything more expensive.

I’ve been going to concerts for a long time, something like 50+ a year for a long stretch in my 20s, and still fairly often today. This idea that LiveNation is solving problems for yhe industry has been shot down by every other player in the game. It’s consolidating money in the hands of a few big venues and a few big acts that can sell shows out, and could have done so without LiveNation’s largesse.
I don't disagree with much that you wrote here. Not sure how smaller venues can make a comeback in the current environment. And that's a shame.

What that article describes is this...

There are a limited number of venues (and dates). The only way for musicians to really make money these days is touring. So the ones that can do this profitably are taking up the dates at all of the venues. Other musicians that are less popular are struggling because a lot of smaller venues shut down (because they couldn't make it through COVID or were unprofitable anyway). The large venues have exclusive contracts with LiveNation (and, to a lesser extent, SeatGeek) and don't give a shit about musicians that can't fill seats.

I don't really see how LiveNation is the problem in this. If you read their statements in the article you posted, they are saying all the right things.
You asked for examples of artists not benefiting from LN/TM, and I posted it. Not suggesting that monolith is the problem, but a symptom of a broken industry. LN/TM isn’t helping, though.

Sure, but it would cost a shitload of money to put on a concert out on somebody's farm.

And, though not really germane to this discussion, the experience would probably suck.
i don't know anything about putting on a concert on farmground so I can't comment!

I also had oatmeal for breakfast. Brown sugar, cinnamon, peanut butter, and some flax, chia, and hemp seeds.

Partially true, but venue owners also get squeezed or even sold to LiveNation itself. I know you just think “if owners sell, it’s because they want to make money, we should applaud both them and the big company for their feats of business” which as ever just completely ignores the experience of patrons of the business itself.
but a privately owned business doesn't owe anything to those patrons. They don't have even an implied duty to the public good, they are responsible to themselves only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back