• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread - Make BiffTannen Great Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a really sweet and large silk chart of the Pacific framed in my living room. We found it in the attic of my grandmother’s house when moving her out, she had no idea it was there and it was in perfect condition. Was from my grandfather’s cargo plane he was an engineer on during the war.

It's interesting how we're still doing movies about WWII in Europe, but not nearly as much in the Pacific. I guess there were a lot of glorification movies about the Pacific theater shortly after the war.

My great uncle was in charge of temproarily burying bodies from all over the Pacific in Guam. They'd later exhume them and send them home.

He did that so Adam Levine could dance around with no shirt and a bunch of tattoos.

Thin Red Line is controversial, but an interesting take on Guadalcanal. Didn't Clint Eastwood make a bunch of mediocre Iowa Jima flicks?

That new Peter Jackson doc looks great. Has anybody seen it yet?

No but I really want to. I’ve already seen and read so much about WW2, but haven’t really delved much into WW1. I know the basics of the causes and aftermath of the war and how horrible it was but not as much on the specifics of the war from beginning to end.

They had me ref all the big games, especially when the football players were facing off. Some tense shit. We threw out a bunch of Ts one game on Chris Givens and Brett Hodges and them.

Also called Freakadeac out looking in softball once -- only player I ever did that to.

I tried to start it to other day but couldn't make it past the first 10 mins as the English dubbing while the actors were speaking German was horrendous.

I watched it in German with English subtitles. Defs worth it.

No but I really want to. I’ve already seen and read so much about WW2, but haven’t really delved much into WW1. I know the basics of the causes and aftermath of the war and how horrible it was but not as much on the specifics of the war from beginning to end.

I've seen in many places that WWI is the most significant modern historical event, but I'm likewise much less knowledgeable about it.

Lacks some of the black-and-white good vs. evil that the Nazis and Fascists provided is a big part of it, I would guess.

The movie's more about the experiences of the British soldiers during the war then about the history of WWI. They really don't delve into any specific battles.

There's a 30 minute documentary after the credits that explains how the documentary was made that was really cool. Amazing how much effort they put into it. Definitely recommend the film itself and the short documentary afterwards.

Hardcore History podcast series on WWI is a superb primer. “Countdown to Armageddon”

Guns of August is a good book on the run up to and first months of war.

Now It Can Be Told is a great book written just after the war by a journalist who saved his truest eye witness accounts until after the war (censors)

Read LOTR.

I also second ITC’s Hardcore History recommendation. Just finished that series, and it was a really interesting like 20 hours of 5 podcasts.

They Shall Not Grow Old is really quite a feat. Truly remarkable. Definitely recommend. When I went they were showing a 30 min "how it was made" mini-doc at the conclusion of the movie. Def worth sticking around for.

Who's the audience (grade level/background knowledge, etc) and what are you specifically interested in teaching or learning? Reasons for the war, the European politics, fallout of WWI and the Great Depression? Or just a general basic overview?

HS and basic overview.

Dude, I was a great IM soccer ref. Easy money too. Should I study today a 4:00 or go ref the SOPHs versus the med school students for $10 ? Those girls had no idea howto play soccer but wer playing for the overall society IM championship. Very easy reffing. Med school girls talked smack and called them "softies."

Made the mistake once of reffing a match between the PIKAs and Sigma Chis. Couldn't wait to blow the final whistle.

I reffed IM soccer and was an IM supervisor for a couple of years. Some of those frat games were absolute fucking nightmares. Between the players and the spectators there was always some bullshit going on with fights and drunkos and other interruptions. I got a call one morning at like 6:00 am from someone in the AD who was just screaming. I was the supervisor the night before and it was frat night and there was puke all over the track and parts of the field and this day was the start of some big field hockey event or game (NCAA or ACC tourney, I think). He was PISSED. Had Max (IM/Club head) and I come down there and wanted us to clean it up. We did not and we just told him that he can take it up with the frats because it wasn't our fault. Still not an awesome way to start the day.

Wilfred Owen's "Dulce et Decorum Est" is the greatest WWI poem. That thing hits.

I reffed IM soccer and was an IM supervisor for a couple of years. Some of those frat games were absolute fucking nightmares. Between the players and the spectators there was always some bullshit going on with fights and drunkos and other interruptions. I got a call one morning at like 6:00 am from someone in the AD who was just screaming. I was the supervisor the night before and it was frat night and there was puke all over the track and parts of the field and this day was the start of some big field hockey event or game (NCAA or ACC tourney, I think). He was PISSED. Had Max (IM/Club head) and I come down there and wanted us to clean it up. We did not and we just told him that he can take it up with the frats because it wasn't our fault. Still not an awesome way to start the day.

That's the kind of entitlement that RON WELLMAN engenders in the AD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back