• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Ready for the reign/rain to end

Status
Not open for further replies.
@birdman this landed on a tree in our backyard in Cleveland. I told my wife I was going to ask birdman about it. “You know, from the boards…”
It’s either a sharp shinned hawk or a Cooper’s hawk. The only ways to tell are vocalizations, size, and the thickness of the stripes on the tail. I am leaning towards cooper’s. Did you get any sense of the size? Was it crow sized or Robin sized?

Crow sized. Quick google makes me think cooper's more likely.

There are legit 5+ blue heron nests in big trees across the pond on one of the par 3s on my home course. Dozens of them seem to live there and a few nests definitely have babies. Pretty sure that's home-base and they disperse throughout the course to the other ponds/creeks during the day.

Also saw the biggest osprey I've ever seen yesterday, who seems to be a new resident, and a huge red tailed hawk eating a snake. Golf course wildlife can be fun.

There are legit 5+ blue heron nests in big trees across the pond on one of the par 3s on my home course. Dozens of them seem to live there and a few nests definitely have babies. Pretty sure that's home-base and they disperse throughout the course to the other ponds/creeks during the day.

Also saw the biggest osprey I've ever seen yesterday, who seems to be a new resident, and a huge red tailed hawk eating a snake. Golf course wildlife can be fun.
This is why I used to go golfing with my dad.

Why are birds getting renamed?
There are several that were named after slave traders and severely racist historic figures and a movement among ornithologist emerged to rename them to make the field more welcoming and inclusive. We are a very white profession and hobby. Even Audubon has some troubling quotes about black people. But the movement expanded to rename all birds named after people, to give them either more descriptive names or ecological names. It's called "bird names for birds." So, "Cooper's Hawk," a very unintuitive name, could become "Greater bird hawk" because it is the larger of the two accipiter hawks that specialize in killing birds, or the "Wilson's Warbler" could become the Black-capped-warbler because it is the only warbler with an obvious black patch on it's head and no other markings.

I came back from vacation yesterday and found an obliterated squirrel carcass in my backyard. Fortunately we hadn’t picked up the dogs yet so just shoveled it over the fence. Wonder which bird of prey did that. We have tons of red shouldered hawks but they seem too small for that.

I struggle with the renaming things because of people being slave owners and what not. The entire country was started by slave owners so what is the line on removing names? I understand and respect the sentiment but it’s never quite made total sense to me.

I struggle with the renaming things because of people being slave owners and what not. The entire country was started by slave owners so what is the line on removing names? I understand and respect the sentiment but it’s never quite made total sense to me.
The entire country is pretty misleading. Only 25 of 55 delegates of the constitutional convention owned slaves.

The entire country is pretty misleading. Only 25 of 55 delegates of the constitutional convention owned slaves.
Right, but I think Windy is saying how do you draw the line? Washington, Jefferson, and Madison all owned slaves. Should they be cancelled?

Right, but I think Windy is saying how do you draw the line? Washington, Jefferson, and Madison all owned slaves. Should they be cancelled?

There are people in this country who advocate for renaming Washington DC.

Not helpful wrt what the line is, but things like changing the name of a middle school in a predominantly Black neighborhood (well, really any neighborhood) and student body that was named after a governor that was a white supremacist and staunch segregationist makes a lot of sense, regardless of what he did to champion and further education in the state may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back