• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread - Will Chupe hook it with his cousin? Find out... NEXT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sierra Nevada -- beer Disney World with great pub food

Buxton Hall -- hipster whole hog bbq with a fantastic burger and chicken sandwich and other good entrees. There will be a wait, give them your number and go next door to Catawba and have some beers.

Aux Bar -- innovative food downtown

Bouchon -- French bistro, you can wait at their upstairs bar and they will text you

Cucina 24 -- good Italian, borderline fancy

Nightbell -- small plates restaurant from the Curate people

Agree with stuff here, except for Sierra Nevada, where I've never had a good dish (and I've eaten there like 4-5 times). Lots of that is kinda fancy (Bouchon/Cucina/Nightbell are all about as fancy as AVL gets, which isn't really that fancy in terms of dress expectations/etc though).

I haven't been to Aux yet, on my list.

I'd throw out Rankin Vault downtown for a divey-type bar with the best burger in town.

En La Calle also on downtown recs list, great upscale spanish/mexican and cocktails, if it's just two people getting seats at bar shouldn't be too hard.

Salsas/Chai Pani also great places that have been around awhile.

If you want super casual/stuff outside of downtown Bonfire BBQ or Rocky's are good options on Patton Ave.

Nine Mile (either location works) would probably be my first choice though if I had to pick one semi-casual/easy place to eat. That food is so damn good.

We ate at Haywood Commons on Saturday and it was pretty good.

Haywood Common, my hood! It's pretty good but the menu felt small the last time I went (admittedly, that was not too long after it opened). I eat at Zia Taqueria (next door) probably once a week. I hope you went across the street to the new One World Brewing setup, that place is pretty cool and gives West AVL yet another solid brewery hangout space.

Haywood Common, my hood! It's pretty good but the menu felt small the last time I went (admittedly, that was not too long after it opened). I eat at Zia Taqueria (next door) probably once a week. I hope you went across the street to the new One World Brewing setup, that place is pretty cool and gives West AVL yet another solid brewery hangout space.

love Zia and need to hit One World. Bonfire and Rocky's are also fantastic and where we wind up a lot.

first I've heard have that opinion on Sierra, and I've eaten there a million times since it's close to work.

giphy.gif

we were there morning to afternoon, don't know that the brewery was open yet

dig West Asheville a lot -- Firestorm Books is a fave; the vintage thrift/bar/chapel/music venue place looked pretty fun

Haywood Commons food was pretty good and the staff very nice

I like W. Asheville, too. Hung out there twice just for the evening a couple of years ago going up and back to shows for Cass Mccombs and then Andy Shauf (bad idea to drive back to Chapel Hill at midnight, but whatever), but stuck to the coffeeshop and kava bar mainly because I was p stoned and needed caffeine/chill/pick me up. I'm not sure I even sat down and ate anywhere. Mothlight is a pretty sweet venue. I need to keep an eye out for any cool upcoming shows and get back.

I haven't been to Asheville since I used to go to summer camp in Black Mountain as a kid. I've been to Boone/Linville a ton though, great part of the country.

How have we gone on this thread about Chupe's cousin without this:

I like W. Asheville, too. Hung out there twice just for the evening a couple of years ago going up and back to shows for Cass Mccombs and then Andy Shauf (bad idea to drive back to Chapel Hill at midnight, but whatever), but stuck to the coffeeshop and kava bar mainly because I was p stoned and needed caffeine/chill/pick me up. I'm not sure I even sat down and ate anywhere. Mothlight is a pretty sweet venue. I need to keep an eye out for any cool upcoming shows and get back.

saw a kratom place in Waynesville and thought of you, chupe

Any recommendations for places to eat around Asheville on Friday night? We're heading up for the weekend. Nothing too fancy though. Thanks!

Village Wayside. Good food and a very relaxed, funky vibe. I've hear Nine Mile is very good but you'll need reservations.
Biscuit Head is the place for breakfast/brunch.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for you, for the lengths you go not to have fun or to have to make such statements. Luckily, El Chupe has the ability to enjoy himself. You should learn from him.

Maybe if you weren't so into kickball, you'd enjoy things more.

curious how effective Giving Tuesday is -- I've been hit up or seen requests from probably close to 50 organizations/political candidates

curious how effective Giving Tuesday is -- I've been hit up or seen requests from probably close to 50 organizations/political candidates

Depends on how you define "effective."

Available data suggests there is a spike in donations on giving Tuesday, though the amount raised on giving Tuesday is difficult to calculate - I've seen reports suggesting $180M - 275M was raised on Giving Tuesday #2017. Year end fundraising is pretty big for most non-profits, so it's definitely a good way to get some lift at year end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back