• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Childress as the new "face' of Wake B-ball?

thedeacfan

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
So Randolph is apparently the new "face" of Wake B-ball but Buzz is still the coach? The two posts below are comments from My Take On Wake. Does anyone have any additional information on this event? Is it a series of events?

Just received a Deacon Club event invite to hear: “Deacon Legend Randolph Childress discuss the upcoming basketball season and take questions”. REALLY!! What other D1 program anywhere doesn’t have enough faith in their head coach to be the face and voice of the program? I don’t know Bz and don’t really care about his personality. However, if your leader can’t state the plan and inspire people to buy in what’s the point?

Scoop Tacy on 04/18/2012 (9:52 am)

A new low has been set. I just received another Deacon Club invite complete with a link to video footage of Randolph Childress’ heroics from the ‘95-‘96 era. Please don’t get me wrong; I love WFU and Randolph. I feel fortunate to have been in the G’boro Coliseum for the back to back. But PLEASE 16 year old highlights to Wake the Nation!! No disrespect to Randolph, but I will not attend nor support. He, especially, and all of us deserve better! This is a farce of a traveling road show! Our lack of attendance and discontinuation of $$ support will assure there is no 4th year of this travesty.

Scoop Tacy on 04/18/2012 (7:46 pm)

Last edited:
There's no way in hell [Redacted] is going to tour the country right now and field questions from Deacon Club members, I guess Chill is the next best choice.

Band aids on an arterial wound IMO. I love Childress, but Buzz needs to be out front and center. Otherwise, we get speculation.

Last edited:
Hopefully, Childress will be able to avoid having his career destroyed in the dumpster fire our program has become. I fear it may be too late for Rusty.

Even in the offseason, the athletic department finds ways to piss us off.

But let the speculation begin. Clear sign that the AD is not confident in letting Buzz do this.

I read that Buzz was going to be in DC soon, will it be Chill now? If so I can throw out the cabbages I'm letting Roy in the laundry room.

Ridiculous. Our asst AD should not be giving talks in place of the bball coach (or even an asst coach). Be a man, Bz (and Wellman). This just keeps getting worse. Our program is just transparently terrible.

I will be seeing Bz in Charlotte one week from today. How cowardly.

I mean, I would definitely PREFER to see Childress to [Redacted], so I'm not sure why anyone would be upset about it.

Also, Childress for basketball-only AD, Wellman AD of the rest. Make it so.

[Redacted] is such a coward.

Given what happened with the Miami fan, perhaps the AD is just trying to make sure that Buzz does not end up telling members of the DC to "Fu** Off". Something tells me that there are quite a few DC members whose comments and questions would cause Buzz to do exactly that. Even Wake's administration might find that hard to ignore.

And if I've given some of you ideas...? You can thank me by succeeding!

Last edited:
Can you believe some people thought Childress should be [Redacted]'s DOBO?

Would love to have a beer with Childress and discuss his thoughts on our current program "off the record". I'm sure he never expected, in a million years, to return to this disaster after so many years away from the program.

Should we expect Chill to comment openly and honestly about the state of the program, the discontent of the fan base, and to offer real insight and opinions about the coaching staff OR has Chill received his marching orders directly from Mr. Wellman?

My GF had lunch with a good friend in the Athletic Dept today who mentioned to her that he heard LaRue is looking to leave his position and there is talk of replacing him with Childress. I find this hard to believe...anyone know if there is any truth to this?

My GF had lunch with a good friend in the Athletic Dept today who mentioned to her that he heard LaRue is looking to leave his position and there is talk of replacing him with Childress. I find this hard to believe...anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I've heard from sources on campus that he was looking for other jobs as well (along with a story that accompanied that from somebody I trust). It would not surprise me at all if he joined up with Coach Kelsey at Winthrop (assuming those positions haven't been filled already).

Should we expect Chill to comment openly and honestly about the state of the program, the discontent of the fan base, and to offer real insight and opinions about the coaching staff OR has Chill received his marching orders directly from Mr. Wellman?

I would assume it will be a little bit of both. When Cumberland and I were in the Moricle Society for the auction that we won to sit behind the bench for the GT game he came up to us and talked for about 10 minutes. He was pretty candid, especially about the interviews they ask him to do during the middle of the game that he is definitely not a fan of.

Back