• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Childress as the new "face' of Wake B-ball?

I've heard from sources on campus that he was looking for other jobs as well (along with a story that accompanied that from somebody I trust). It would not surprise me at all if he joined up with Coach Kelsey at Winthrop (assuming those positions haven't been filled already).

I guess I should clarify... I don't find it hard to believe that Rusty is looking to leave. I would be looking to get away from the sinking ship that is Jeff [Redacted] as quickly as possible. I was more surprised that she said there was talk of replacing him with Chill

I mean, I would definitely PREFER to see Childress to [Redacted], so I'm not sure why anyone would be upset about it.

Also, Childress for basketball-only AD, Wellman AD of the rest. Make it so.

My thought as well. We'll be at Raleigh event because Chill will be there.

I hope Rusty can get as far away from this program as possible. Go make your name somewhere else and develop a reputation. Then he will be in a position to come back higher up the chain when (if?) Wake actually gets a basketball coach.

I mean, I would definitely PREFER to see Childress to [Redacted], so I'm not sure why anyone would be upset about it.

Also, Childress for basketball-only AD, Wellman AD of the rest. Make it so.

It's upsetting to me because of what it means; that the coach sucks so much the organization can't even put him in front of the fans/donors to drum up support.

For the cross country speaking engagements, the basketball speakers are Buzz, LaRue, Chill, Corbean and Battle. They each have a handful of cities so that no one is spread too thin or overtaxed by travel. Even when Skip was coaching, he didn't speak at all of the events.

I would much prefer to have Chill as the face of the program but you guys are reading way too much into that part of it. To my knowledge, there's not another program that sends the head coach to every single speaking engagement across the country.

Has Rusty been the lead recruiter for any of our guys to date? Not sure what the infatuation with him as a COACH really is.

For the cross country speaking engagements, the basketball speakers are Buzz, LaRue, Chill, Corbean and Battle. They each have a handful of cities so that no one is spread too thin or overtaxed by travel.

One of these things is not like the other...

Even when Skip was coaching, he didn't speak at all of the events.

Yeah, but Skip wasn't at the helm for the atrocity that is Wake Forest basketball. Bzz should be doing EVERYTHING he can to win the support of the fanbase at this point. Surely those $80K monthly deposits into his account ease the pain of having to travel a little bit? Spread too thin? Give me a break. The man is paid a shit ton of $$ to spread himself thin. At some point you should be expected to earn it. When he gets a few NC's under his belt he can start complaining about having to travel too much. :rolleyes:

He should man up and face the fans instead of making his assistants, some who have younger families and all who are paid a fraction of what he earns, travel around the country trying to sell shit flavored chocolate popsicles to DC members.

I would much prefer to have Chill as the face of the program but you guys are reading way too much into that part of it. To my knowledge, there's not another program that sends the head coach to every single speaking engagement across the country.

Since I doubt you know what every program in the country does, I'm not sure it really matters much. All I know is that Bzz canceled on his engagements last year. Waiting to see whether he actually has the balls to show up to one this year.

Last edited:
Right, but how many programs send the assistant AD?

I agree that Rusty should look for and hopefully find a good assistant's position elsewhere. I think most of us would have expected that anyway. Certainly his alum status helped him get an entry level asst job here, so if he has future aspirations of a head coaching position he should get some more experience. I don't think many here would mind if he came back to Wake as Kelsey's assistant in a year or two (wishful thinking).

I don't worry about Chill getting burned too badly. One would hope that he would not be directly tied to Wellman given he hasn't been here long. It is tragic to watch one single coaching hire lead to so much collateral damage though. Pitiful.

While you are correct that Chill is not a coach, answer me this: If you were the AD, would you not put one of the most beloved basketball players in front of a Wake crowd? Considering what we brought him in to do, I think it makes sense to send him out.

For what it's worth, I know four other ACC program operations fairly well and two others slightly. My statement was not meant to be a defense of Buzz in the least.

I understand why they are sending Chill, but it just looks so transparent in this context. While purporting to defend Bz to the death on one hand, Wellman won't even send a basketball coach to speak. I certainly see your point and understand where they are coming from.

Whether Buzz shows up or not, I don't know. What I do know is that he is scheduled to make a couple more stops as the other four, which is normal.

Back