• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Childress new Assistant Basketball coach (Corbean gone)

Other than hang around the gym during basketball season what did Chill do in the AD other than tote Wellman's bags???

Out of curiosity I'd be interested to know how much coaching experience Wojo, Collins and Capel had before Kryzewski hired them. Of course, it's not like K needs a lot of help, but most of his assistants through the years have been former players, no?

Other than hang around the gym during basketball season what did Chill do in the AD other than tote Wellman's bags???

Speaking tours. That was job one. Ron wasn't sending Bzz out on the campaign trail unless he had to.

chill hit the fundraising trail. probably did more work than wellman.

Does RC's two former jobs even exist at this point? It seems like they were made up until he could be shoehorned into a assistant's job.

Great players often make the worst coaches. The game comes so easy to the great ones. Usually your best coaches are the ones that had mediocre talent, but fought their way to being a competitive player because they loved the game and they loved to win. I am not saying Childress will be a bad coach, but the odds are against him. Look at the coaching landscape. For every former superstar I would guess there are a 100 nobodies that worked their way up the ladder like PH said.

Superstars are born, coaches are built.

this is really very true. i'm only exceptional in one thing: english. yet this gift means i don't know what a gerund is or how to identify an adverb if it doesn't end in -ly.

what seems obvious and natural to gifted players is the same thing that will have them pulling their hair out when trying to communicate it.

Maybe this was RWs ploy to squeeze an early commitment out of Chills son.

One of the reasons that Chill was such a great player was that he was willing to put in the work in the gym to make himself as good as his physical capabilities let him. He also made sure that the players around him were better because of what he did. He was willing to play defense. He also tended to save his scoring for the second half of games, letting his team mates get touches and shots in the first half, then taking over as necessary in the second half (Carolina game was an extreme example of this.)
When he played, a lot of people were commenting that he was an extra assistant coach on the floor. That mindset and Chill's work ethic could well allow him to be the exception to the "great players don't make great coaches"

One of the reasons that Chill was such a great player was that he was willing to put in the work in the gym to make himself as good as his physical capabilities let him. He also made sure that the players around him were better because of what he did. He was willing to play defense. He also tended to save his scoring for the second half of games, letting his team mates get touches and shots in the first half, then taking over as necessary in the second half (Carolina game was an extreme example of this.)
When he played, a lot of people were commenting that he was an extra assistant coach on the floor. That mindset and Chill's work ethic could well allow him to be the exception to the "great players don't make great coaches"

Randolph's work ethic was no different that CJ's for all I know. Randolph was just better. I think a lot of our guys work hard. The question is if they are working on the right things. But having played the game I have to laugh because I was taught to reverse spin on a high pick and roll to shield the defender on your back and be in position to receive the pass and I see that maybe a few times a year. I have no idea what is being taught anymore. But if Randolph can pass along his knowledge of the game I have no doubt our players will be the better for it.

This is such BS, Wake keeps digging a bigger and bigger hole.

It is past time for everyone to go. Randolph should work for the deacon club, not the basketball team. I just cant believe how things get worse and worse. Please someone make this nightmare end. Wake is a joke.

He was a hard worker, and that is a good thing, but he was a natural born killer. That is hard to teach, and even more frustrating when someone doesn't understand. I hope Childress becomes a great coach. The problem I see is that even if he does become a great coach, it won't be with Wake Forest because of what he is about to go through in the next year.

Back