• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Childress new Assistant Basketball coach (Corbean gone)

Does anyone think bzzz made the decision to fire Corbean and promote Chill? I can't imagine that. Instead, RW calls bzzz in (after a few weeks of bad press): "bzzz, you're firing Corbean next week. Chill's your man now." And bzz: "Whatever you say."

Hopefully Chill will seek out Dave Odom who I believe lives in Winston now in Skip's old house on some advice on being a assistant coach. Dave was a great assistant before he became the hc at Wake.

yeah it was cool seeing odom in the recent 30 for 30 doc on nc state when dave was coaching his boy ralph sampson

We'd be really damn busy if we removed every tasteless tag. My suggestion is to just ignore it.

now we know that isn't how things work around here. the key is to bitch and whine incessantly

Whatever happened to working your way up the ladder?

I've dreamed about Childress being head coach, too, but after dreaming about Childress taking a mid-major to the tournament.

I can't believe that people could be Wake fans, witness what happened to State under Sidney Lowe, and want to fast track a legend without any college head coaching experience to head coach.

i am agreeing with you too much lately. please say something to piss me off. thank you.

This just reinforces my long held belief that Wake fans would rather feel good about Wake sports than do the work necessary to actually try to be good.

i am agreeing with you too much lately. please say something to piss me off. thank you.

People gave me shit for years about being a negative poster. Now things are much worse than any of us could have imagined to the point that we can't really disagree.

Hopefully Chill will seek out Dave Odom who I believe lives in Winston now in Skip's old house on some advice on being a assistant coach. Dave was a great assistant before he became the hc at Wake.

didn't odom fill in for holland for a bit and run off an impressive win streak while at UVA?

I think it is great he is there. He has to get experience somewhere. Too bad he has to tutelage under Buzz--won't learn much except how to lose or win one game on the road in the next three years.

People gave me shit for years about being a negative poster. Now things are much worse than any of us could have imagined to the point that we can't really disagree.

oh, you're still a negative poster. don't get too pleased with yourself.

that felt better................

Whatever happened to working your way up the ladder?

This same logic would have Lebron James go to Duke for 2-3 years prior to joining the NBA. Chill is older than Shaka and Stevens. If you have Chill's confidence and you're Randolph Childress, why wait?

This same logic would have Lebron James go to Duke for 2-3 years prior to joining the NBA. Chill is older than Shaka and Stevens. If you have Chill's confidence and you're Randolph Childress, why wait?

No. The same logic would have Lebron James go to the NBA when he's in kindergarten. Lebron James went to the NBA after showing talent as a basketball player in extensive AAU and high school play.

When has Randolph Childress been a head coach?

Playing basketball is a lot more about natural talent than coaching basketball, which is more learned.

But in Chill's mind, do you think there's a hint of doubt that he wouldn't be successful immediately?

But in Chill's mind, do you think there's a hint of doubt that he wouldn't be successful immediately?

Most coaches don't have any doubt, but plenty fail.

I'm not saying Childress shouldn't attempt to move up as quickly as possible. I'm saying he shouldn't be allowed to do so by the powers that be in our athletic department.

And then there is Jeff Nix with all the coaching experience in the world, wondering how to get us in and out of Pitt.,Syracuse and ND next winter. Why is he sticking around?

And then there is Jeff Nix with all the coaching experience in the world, wondering how to get us in and out of Pitt.,Syracuse and ND next winter. Why is he sticking around?

Probably just cashing a pay check and driving to his beach house.

Great players often make the worst coaches. The game comes so easy to the great ones. Usually your best coaches are the ones that had mediocre talent, but fought their way to being a competitive player because they loved the game and they loved to win. I am not saying Childress will be a bad coach, but the odds are against him. Look at the coaching landscape. For every former superstar I would guess there are a 100 nobodies that worked their way up the ladder like PH said.

Superstars are born, coaches are built.

Does anyone think bzzz made the decision to fire Corbean and promote Chill? I can't imagine that. Instead, RW calls bzzz in (after a few weeks of bad press): "bzzz, you're firing Corbean next week. Chill's your man now." And bzz: "Whatever you say."

Wellman and Bz often remind me of George and Lenny from Of Mice and Men.

Back