• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Childress new Assistant Basketball coach (Corbean gone)

So Bzz threw a deck chair off a sinking ship. I think the only way Wellman survives is to make Chill the coach next year ('14-'15). If Ron changes the staff, it would be taken that he was blind to the problems the program has and he wasted a year to fix them. With Chill as a human shield, the peasants with pitch forks won't go after him.

Not sure the "human shield" analysis works. Almost all Wake fans already think Chill is an assistant. The ones that don't post here. Based on past actions it doesn't appear Wellman has much concern over shielding himself from said posters.

Not sure the "human shield" analysis works.

Childress was brought in as a human shield from the get-go when he was hired into the Assistant AD position. The move to Director of Player Development and now this "promotion" to Assitant Coach just adds to his ability to serve as a shield for Wellman now that he'll be active on the sideline and the "If I fire Bz, I must also fire Childress" excuse can be used. For that matter, based on something I read on another thread, it sounds like the "Can't fire Bz because we'd have to fire Childress too" argument is already being floated around to donors.

So, is WF going to hire Taron Downey or some other beloved Deac as the director of basketball ops?

Amazing that of all the potential candidates in the college basketball world the best 3 assistants for WF under Bz are: 1) Battle - a long-time WF assistant; 2) Rusty - greatest multi-sport athlete in WF history; 3) Chill - possibly the most loved WF hoopster ever. Glad that Bz and whomever else does the hiring looks beyond potential WF connections to find the best person to meet the present needs of WF basketball, rather than a feel-good hire to attempt to distract an angry fan-base.

So, is WF going to hire Taron Downey or some other beloved Deac as the director of basketball ops?

Amazing that of all the potential candidates in the college basketball world the best 3 assistants for WF under Bz are: 1) Battle - a long-time WF assistant; 2) Rusty - greatest multi-sport athlete in WF history; 3) Chill - possibly the most loved WF hoopster ever. Glad that Bz and whomever else does the hiring looks beyond potential WF connections to find the best person to meet the present needs of WF basketball, rather than a feel-good hire to attempt to distract an angry fan-base.

#culture

Then you haven't been paying close enough attention. :thumbsup:

Every time the AD makes a new decision, I feel like this:

35mp83.jpg

Nor sure if that make me (Walter) the crazy one, or them (smoke). But they really need to mark it zero.

so really now we have a whole coaching staff of guys who have never proven to be good coaches?

“I’m very appreciative of the opportunity Wake Forest has given me,’’ Corbean said. “I want to thank (university president) Dr. (Nathan) Hatch, Mr. Wellman and Coach [Redacted] for a great six years at Wake Forest.

Corbean sounds like just the type of culture guy we want. Sounds very gracious and I certainly wish him luck elsewhere.

“I’m very appreciative of the opportunity Wake Forest has given me,’’ Corbean said. “I want to thank (university president) Dr. (Nathan) Hatch, Mr. Wellman and Coach [Redacted] for a great six years at Wake Forest.

Corbean sounds like just the type of culture guy we want. Sounds very gracious and I certainly wish him luck elsewhere.

Corbean sounds like just the type of guy who was paid a healthy severance to stick to the company li(n)e.

Chill had the reputation for being a winner before he came to Wake. Buzz and Wellman certainly hope some of that attitude will rub off on those around him. I have no idea about his skills with people but he's gotta be a lot better than Buzz. No question that he's a shield, and we better hope he can coach.

ABC's theory that the position is really being held warm by Buzz for Battle, when Battle feels he's ready for it, may have some merit. At least that is an explanation with some sense, not completely sensible but a lot more sensible than just keeping Buzz with the currentr explanations.

In the meantime Buzz does the dirty work and takes the heat. Ha also tries to teach x-s and o-s and evaluates talent. Those are about the only two things he may be able to do better than others on the staff. Chill and Battle recruit. Rusty keeps an eye on things for Wellman.

For how long? I hope one year, max. Buzz remains an embarrassment and a millstone around the neck of the program, and there's no way to get around that.

Buzz reached this point a while back but now Wellman has arrived at the place where no matter what he does, it is met with a storm of criticism and skepticism. I don't think that will ever be entirely undone. The best that either Buzz or Wellman can hope for is that they will be regarded as controversial in the long run at Wake and not simply reviled as they are increasingly now.

By the way, the quotes in the WSJ from Buzz on the firing of Corbean were typical, difficult to digest, patented Jeff [Redacted] gobbledigook. The dude is unreal. Some rhetorician should simply pummel him with a dictionary.

Actually maybe this sets the precedent for firing Lobo and replacing him with Riley Skinner ?

Buzz is one thing; but I have trouble believing that Wellman will be able to make Jim Grobe his bitch.

wake now has two of its three assistants with a combined seven years of high major collegiate coaching experience with all seven of those years at wake forest

the third is a holdover from a program perpetrated by the athletic department as missing culture

and the head coach has zero ncaa tournament wins

this move actually hurts more than it helps had they decided to replace rusty with chill and keep corbean or let corbean go too that would be different but keeping two former players with no collegiate track record (much less a track record of success) and a lame duck loser head coach is pretty awful

this thing just keeps getting better and better

We no longer have a basketball program. We have a social program. Who knows; maybe Wellman is even getting a workforce development grant from the Department of Labor to provide transitional training assistance.

Chill's got the youtube video of him breaking McInnis's ankles and giving him the "get off the floor chump" signal. That's got to count for something.

Right now I'd say that it's Jeff McInnis and every other Carolina fan that's getting the last laugh. Randolph Childress is so hard up for work he's willing to be the front man for Jeff [Redacted]'s incompetence. :rulz: How pitiful is that?

Last edited:
Childress was brought in as a human shield from the get-go when he was hired into the Assistant AD position. The move to Director of Player Development and now this "promotion" to Assitant Coach just adds to his ability to serve as a shield for Wellman now that he'll be active on the sideline and the "If I fire Bz, I must also fire Childress" excuse can be used. For that matter, based on something I read on another thread, it sounds like the "Can't fire Bz because we'd have to fire Childress too" argument is already being floated around to donors.

Whatever the reason, it sure isn't to win basketball games. Someone had to have planned to get well-known alumni in prominent athletic department roles. Mike MacDougal or Jamie D'Antona for baseball coaches? Sure, why not. Was this the end game? I don't know. Whatever it is, at least someone including Hatch, the board members, Wellman and/or big donors wanted this to happen. Winning games is not a priority. I think you can argue that it never has been with Wellman (either because that's who he is or because someone told him that it is not important). If Wake wins, wonderful. Look at us, we're such a small school and we're doing amazing things; we're so happy to be playig D1 sports. Aww shucks, AD of the year? Thank you, but I never expected us to compete against the big boys like UNC, Duke, Vanderbilt, and Stetson.

Someone else said it before, but I think it bears repeating: I don't think Ron Wellman would even sniff a job in an athletic department if he was just starting out in 2013.

wake now has two of its three assistants with a combined seven years of high major collegiate coaching experience with all seven of those years at wake forest

the third is a holdover from a program perpetrated by the athletic department as missing culture

and the head coach has zero ncaa tournament wins

this move actually hurts more than it helps had they decided to replace rusty with chill and keep corbean or let corbean go too that would be different but keeping two former players with no collegiate track record (much less a track record of success) and a lame duck loser head coach is pretty awful

this thing just keeps getting better and better

it sure seems that corbean may have been a squeaky wheel and bzz/wellman did not like his disagreement.

why do i fee like rusty and childress are just dying to try and make the team back into the one that they were involved with? feels a little like they are too close to the situation or blinded (to bzz) by the desire to win again.

Personally, I like the thought of having assistant coaches who have a stake in the school. I understand the negativity toward Bz, but let's not hate Rusty and Chill by reason of their association to him. Do any have a concrete idea as to how Chill will recruit or coach? I suspect that he will do very well at both. I hate seeing Corbean go. But, it would be worse if Battle left. We do desperately need someone who can coach big men, however.

I do not think that Wellman is trying to wreck the program. I think he wants success. At the same time, I think he made a very bad coaching hire and for some reason thinks that he must stick with it. Apart from a miraculous turn-around, I fully expect a head coaching change at the end of next season.

Till then, I hope for the best and try to avoid utter despair over Wake athletics. That's why I really like thinking about football right now, especially the way Lectro thinks about WF football.

Just trying to be positive.

Me too. I'm positive that this is going to fail.

Back