• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Childress new Assistant Basketball coach (Corbean gone)

Is it really an improvement that Buzz has added his Assistant Coaches to those he is willing to throw under the bus?

Although this has RW's fingerprints all over it, it's still Buzz doing the tossing. And the results are... #Corbeanunderthebus

Is it really an improvement that Buzz has added his Assistant Coaches to those he is willing to throw under the bus?

Although this has RW's fingerprints all over it, it's still Buzz doing the tossing. And the results are... #Corbeanunderthebus

In any other circumstances it would be the head coach's job to shake up the staff, but here at Wake Forest the AD hires the coach and assistant coaches separately.

A few years from now when he's fired or retires, Bzz is going to look back and wonder what the hell he got himself into.

Let me give you the more likely scenario: Wellman holds onto Bzz and keeps Childress hostage as a human shield, ruining Childress' legacy by forever linking him to the worst stretch of Wake Forest basketball in history and making it near impossible for him to progress in his coaching career due to such a blemish on his resume.
LOL @ ruining Childress' legacy. Please.

Last edited:
All of this is cost-cutting due to Joel purchase. No one will fill Chill's spot. Wellman is waiting for [Redacted]'s contract to expire. Good luck to Walt; good guy and I hope he gets a head coaching gig somewhere.

I don't understand this post

At the time, it was said that Walt was going to take over from Pope who would be demoted to Dbo if he had not been hired by BYU. Didn't buy it then or now.

All of this is cost-cutting due to Joel purchase. No one will fill Chill's spot. Wellman is waiting for [Redacted]'s contract to expire. Good luck to Walt; good guy and I hope he gets a head coaching gig somewhere.

Geez. How much does Childress make?

LOL. Have you not been paying attention the past 3 years?

Mediocrity (or less than mediocre for our flagship sport) can't go on forever....... I keep chalking up the situation with the previous coach as an HR problem (which the university, like any corporation, wouldn't be able to discuss). I can't blame that first season entirely on [Redacted]( he walked into a terrible situation). I like the play of our young guys this year but I hope we won't fall into a "new normal" of .500 play in the ACC.

GL1U

Metaphor for Wake Bball program. Driver is obviously Wellman.

Look for Chill to handle interaction with the media a la Collins + Wojo at Duke. Well played Mr. Wellman. Well played.

I think the cost cutting idea makes sense since we never had a position on staff like the one Chill occupied this season. Looks like the purchase of the Joel is moving forward; all systems go.

Mediocrity (or less than mediocre for our flagship sport) can't go on forever....... I keep chalking up the situation with the previous coach as an HR problem (which the university, like any corporation, wouldn't be able to discuss). I can't blame that first season entirely on [Redacted]( he walked into a terrible situation). I like the play of our young guys this year but I hope we won't fall into a "new normal" of .500 play in the ACC.

So you're part of the lunatic fringe that drinks Wellman's koolaid? You don't post much, so perhaps you've missed where all of those arguments have been blown out of the water over and over?

Someone on the other board said that Battle "turned down Butler". When did that happen?

Someone on the other board said that Battle "turned down Butler". When did that happen?

At this point, Battle is either not that great of a candidate who can't get other jobs or a fool for turning other jobs to stay here and tend to a dumpster fire.

Mocksville over on the other board inboxed me that this was in the works almost three weeks ago. Sucks for Corb.

At this point, Battle is either not that great of a candidate who can't get other jobs or a fool for turning other jobs to stay here and tend to a dumpster fire.

a poster on the other board said that Battle just recently turned down an Asst job offer from Brad Stevens. WTF!?

Yeah. But it doesn't suck for Corbean. He's a victim of cronyism, not his own abilities.

For Walt's sake I hope the saying "it's easier to find a job when you have a job" doesn't apply in basketball. If it does apply, this is sort of a dick move, at least with respect to timing, they could have held off any announcement until he found something, at least for another month or two.

I think the cost cutting idea makes sense since we never had a position on staff like the one Chill occupied this season. Looks like the purchase of the Joel is moving forward; all systems go.

From CBSSports.com: "The FBI is investigating whether a former Rutgers basketball employee tried to extort the university before he made videos that showed former coach Mike Rice shoving and kicking players and berating them with gay slurs.

A person familiar with the situation told the Associated Press on Sunday that investigators are interested in Eric Murdock, who left his job as the men's basketball program's player development director last year and later provided the video to university officials and ESPN."

Knew I had read recently that another school had a "Director of Player Development" on staff. Wonder how many others do? Seems like a relatively new position on coaching staffs.

Last edited:
Back