• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Childress Speaking at Raleigh Deacon Club Tour Tomorrow, 4/25

Word has it that Wellman will be with Childress tonight in Raleigh- should be interesting!

Word has it that Wellman will be with Childress tonight in Raleigh- should be interesting!

Good day to make the announcement. Removes any heat Wellman would have gotten since the focus will be Chill's new position.

Good day to make the announcement. Removes any heat Wellman would have gotten since the focus will be Chill's new position.

That was my thought as well. I'll be there tonight. Unfortunately I didn't think to have some #BzzzOut business cards printed to hand out/leave on tables. ;)

Good turn-out. Chill spoke of his new promotion and his reaching out to the stars of old such as Duncan, Howard and Paul and he says that they are all on board with the program, and not just monetarily. It was great talking to him and I had him autograph his Portland rookie cards!

Wellman seemed upbeat likely as a result of the well-timed promotion which now puts Chill on the sideline.

Nice to know our AD told [Redacted] he expected 0 wins in Year 1 and predicted 4 wins in Year 2, and therefore the results this year were "expected and acceptable".

Edited to say the word choice was "acceptable" not "predictable" as I first wrote.

Last edited:
Nice to know our AD told [Redacted] he expected 0 wins in Year 1 and predicted 4 wins in Year 2, and therefore the results this year were "expected and predictable".

Where was this stated?

Nice to know our AD told [Redacted] he expected 0 wins in Year 1 and predicted 4 wins in Year 2, and therefore the results this year were "expected and predictable".

Did he use that quote tonight?

If that was actually said...well...there are just no words.

They've been begging people to attend in Charlotte tonight where we're stuck with Buzz as speaker. I've received multiple postcards and emails about it. Even free appetizers aren't enough to get me there. What a shame. I spent 45 mins in rush hour traffic one time just to hear Skip and Grobe. I'd only have to walk 4 blocks tonight but forget it.

i am floored by that. those losses are acceptable? what a load of shit. he said in the original press conference the program needed tweeks. and now he says he expected 4 wins in two f-ing years?

wellman out.

He probably said "expected and predictable" not the part about the number of wins although that is implied.

I was there last night. Some good stories, but a lot of the same crap we've all heard over and over about the basketball team at this point. WE WILL WIN WITHOUT COMPROMISING OUR VALUES!

They played a video at the end of the presentation that had numerous WFU coaches speaking about the facilities development for their teams. Everyone looked comfortable and relaxed and spoke well on camera, and then BZZ shows up looking like someone (The Puppetmaster?) is working his strings, but not very well. He is clearly reading from some cards off screen and he still sounds like he's not sure what he's saying and then, yep, there it is again, "WE WILL WIN WITHOUT COMPROMISING OUR VALUES." Geez, he is so, so bad.

Wellman kept talking about how coaches at WFU have to be the right fit in order to succeed under the special circumstances at Wake. All I could think of was how bad of a fit BZZ is. Depressing.

On the other hand, Chill was very candid in his Q&A session, and to be fair Wellman, who is a great speaker in front of a crowd, was very open to questions and he explained most of them really well. It just grated on my nerves when he would drop back to his talking points. (transfers don't succeed in the NBA, We won't compromise, etc.)

He probably said "expected and predictable" not the part about the number of wins although that is implied.

Actually his story was that BZZ came to him just before the ACC season started in BZZ's first year and asked Wellman, "How many ACC games do you think we can win?" Ron said his answer was, "None. If you win one ACC game it will be an upset." He then said that BZZ came into his office just before the ACC schedule started in year two and asked the same question and Ron's answer was, "Four."

That was the story he used to show that we had improved from one year to the next...

Oh and he was also sure to say that if Jim Grobe hadn't gone to a bowl game in his first year he would have faced a lot of the same complaints that BZZ gets, but that Jim was lucky to have come into a situation with a lot of good players.

So, more of the condescending bullshit from Wellman.

No way he told [Redacted] that. He's making shit up post-facto.

Kind of like [Redacted] and his drawer full of letters about Burke.

Back