• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Childress Speaking at Raleigh Deacon Club Tour Tomorrow, 4/25

So, more of the condescending bullshit from Wellman.

No way he told [Redacted] that. He's making shit up post-facto.

Kind of like [Redacted] and his drawer full of letters about Burke.

I don't really take that as Wellman being condescending. I think he is now realizing how upset the fan base is, and while he is going to stick to his talking points he will also attempt to answer more candidly and be more open with the fan base.

Actually his story was that BZZ came to him just before the ACC season started in BZZ's first year and asked Wellman, "How many ACC games do you think we can win?" Ron said his answer was, "None. If you win one ACC game it will be an upset." He then said that BZZ came into his office just before the ACC schedule started in year two and asked the same question and Ron's answer was, "Four."

That was the story he used to show that we had improved from one year to the next...

Oh and he was also sure to say that if Jim Grobe hadn't gone to a bowl game in his first year he would have faced a lot of the same complaints that BZZ gets, but that Jim was lucky to have come into a situation with a lot of good players.

That's even worse that imagined.

That's even worse that imagined.

It is a pretty pathetic story and while it may have happened I think that Ron Wellman was just using it to demonstrate how little he cared about wins in the first two years.

Actually his story was that BZZ came to him just before the ACC season started in BZZ's first year and asked Wellman, "How many ACC games do you think we can win?" Ron said his answer was, "None. If you win one ACC game it will be an upset." He then said that BZZ came into his office just before the ACC schedule started in year two and asked the same question and Ron's answer was, "Four."

That was the story he used to show that we had improved from one year to the next...

Oh and he was also sure to say that if Jim Grobe hadn't gone to a bowl game in his first year he would have faced a lot of the same complaints that BZZ gets, but that Jim was lucky to have come into a situation with a lot of good players.

There are no words.

I don't really take that as Wellman being condescending. I think he is now realizing how upset the fan base is, and while he is going to stick to his talking points he will also attempt to answer more candidly and be more open with the fan base.

This gave me a funny mental image of Wellman sitting in his office and being informed that the fan base was upset and this would come as a surprise to him.

"Wait... you meant to tell me they are upset with only 5 ACC wins in 2 years? That was simply impossible to predict. At least we aren't compromising our values!"

It is a pretty pathetic story and while it may have happened I think that Ron Wellman was just using it to demonstrate how little he cared about wins in the first two years.

Which is even worse.

I disagree. First, saying you said something that it is very difficult to believe you actually said and then expecting people to believe it is condescending. Second, telling people how they would react to a hypothetical situation is condescending. Third, acting like an 8 win basketball season at Wake is comparable to not making a bowl game at Wake and expecting people to nod along is condescending.

At least Wellman was pretty accurate with his predictions. I didn't hear anyone say Wellman was happy with those numbers, just that given what he knew about the teams beginning each season, that was his prediction. I would love to hear his prediction for this year. That would have been a great follow up question.

I was there last night. Some good stories, but a lot of the same crap we've all heard over and over about the basketball team at this point. WE WILL WIN WITHOUT COMPROMISING OUR VALUES!

They played a video at the end of the presentation that had numerous WFU coaches speaking about the facilities development for their teams. Everyone looked comfortable and relaxed and spoke well on camera, and then BZZ shows up looking like someone (The Puppetmaster?) is working his strings, but not very well. He is clearly reading from some cards off screen and he still sounds like he's not sure what he's saying and then, yep, there it is again, "WE WILL WIN WITHOUT COMPROMISING OUR VALUES." Geez, he is so, so bad.

Wellman kept talking about how coaches at WFU have to be the right fit in order to succeed under the special circumstances at Wake. All I could think of was how bad of a fit BZZ is. Depressing.

On the other hand, Chill was very candid in his Q&A session, and to be fair Wellman, who is a great speaker in front of a crowd, was very open to questions and he explained most of them really well. It just grated on my nerves when he would drop back to his talking points. (transfers don't succeed in the NBA, We won't compromise, etc.)

Chill said that?? Oops, I see RW said that not Chill.

Last edited:
Here is my recap. Chill spoke first and was quintessential Chill. He is looking forward to mentoring student athletes. He traveled to meet with Duncan, Josh Howard, and CP3 to get commitments from them to be a part of the WF basketball program. Told them that we didn't just need their money, we needed their presence in the program and in the Joel. Chill said he expects 2 or 3 freshmen to start next year. He wouldn't give specific names as to which ones, but said CMM is going to be good. He inferred that the reason two of the three players transferred is because they were recruited over. Chill said he is going to be riding CMM from the day he steps on campus.

Chill talked about the 1st round ACC tourney game against Duke when Wake was down by 18. Chill said that may have been his best game at Wake. He said when there was a timeout Odom didn't have to say anything because he was in all of the players ears. Made a joke that after he got through with the team, Odom didn't say a word during the timeout and just had everybody put their hands in and say 1, 2, 3, "Wake Forest" or whatever they said.

I enjoyed hearing from Chill, but to be honest, it felt a little like it was 1997 and we were celebrating the back to back ACC titles. You would have thought Chill was the coach.

Wellman started by telling a story about how he was near the court in the last two minutes in the 1996 title game and Chill got the players together before a free throw in the last 2 minutes. Chill told the other players that if they weren't going to do anything else just get him the ball. Funny story.

Wellman tried to tell a story about Buzz when he was with the Denver Nuggets. Nuggs won only a few games his first year. Next year won 43 or 44 games and made the playoffs. Then, started hot in the third year. Then, two Nuggets players behaved badly in the community. Didn't say what. But, Buzz drove the players to where they behaved badly. It sounded like a restaurant or bar and forced the players to apologize and give a tip. Then, Buzz drove the players back to the arena. After he got back, Buzz received calls from the players agents about how he couldn't treat the players that way. After the incident, both players "faked" injuries and were on the injured list and wouldn't play for Buzz. Sounded like there was a mutiny on the Nuggets and Buzz was ousted. Wellman asked Buzz about this during the interview process and asked Buzz what he would change, and Buzz said he wouldn't change a thing. I'm not really sure how this was a positive story about Buzz. In an ironic way, it seemed like a little foreshadowing to the current mutiny.

Wellman told the story about how he met with Buzz before each of the last two seasons and told Buzz he expected to win 0 ACC games in the first year and 4 ACC games in the second year. He also said he expected to win 14 games overall last year. We won 13. (I guess even Wellman couldn't have predicted the Wofford loss ;) ) All of that just felt awful to hear spoken aloud about our once proud program.

Wellman was asked about the transfers from the program and went on a diatribe about how college basketball is at a crossroads concerning transfers and "One and Done", etc. He said that on average 1.5 players transfer each year per college basketball team. Then told about how Buzz and the DOBO had either compiled or found some statistics that only 5% of players in the NBA are transfers. He said how their NBA connections had told them that the NBA looks down on drafting transfer players. Just feeding the spin machine without answering the question.

As for Olympic sports, same old stuff. They are doing well. These new tennis and soccer facilities are going to help the team. He told a story about how Vidovich called him and our star #1 recruit in the country (don't know his name) for next year was offered a German club soccer contract. The incoming player turned down the German team and will be attending Wake in the fall. Sounds like that is huge news for the soccer team.

Football, Grobe came into his office after Spring practice and told Wellman in classic Grobe fashion, these kids are "nasty". Wellman said Grobe said the defense is nasty, and he is excited about next year. Wellman said Grobe loves to coach defense and play hard defense and keep the game close and try to win it at the end. Wellman said it has worked pretty well for us. Spot on analysis for Grobe's style. Also said what we all know, next year our success depends on our O Line gelling.

Wellman was asked about the new football assistant coaches. He said that the the new O line coach would help take some responsibility off Lobo. He mentioned how previously Lobo had to grade 5 positions after a game and put together the game plan. Said that may have been a lot to ask. The O Line coach is from USC and is an intense guy, a real in your face coach. Also, said Grobe was impressed with the new D coach, can't remember which one, and he was a good recruiter.

I agree with the earlier poster. Weirdest moment in the night was when the DC put together a video to inspire donors to help contribute to facilities. Buzz was on the video and the guy just has no personality or charisma. He sounded like some middle school dweeb saying "Let's Deaconize the Joel." He just sounds awkward and weird.

Pretty good night overall.

Wellman tried to tell a story about Buzz when he was with the Denver Nuggets. Nuggs won only a few games his first year. Next year won 43 or 44 games and made the playoffs. Then, started hot in the third year. Then, two Nuggets players behaved badly in the community. Didn't say what. But, Buzz drove the players to where they behaved badly. It sounded like a restaurant or bar and forced the players to apologize and give a tip. Then, Buzz drove the players back to the arena. After he got back, Buzz received calls from the players agents about how he couldn't treat the players that way. After the incident, both players "faked" injuries and were on the injured list and wouldn't play for Buzz. Sounded like there was a mutiny on the Nuggets and Buzz was ousted. Wellman asked Buzz about this during the interview process and asked Buzz what he would change, and Buzz said he wouldn't change a thing. I'm not really sure how this was a positive story about Buzz. In an ironic way, it seemed like a little foreshadowing to the current mutiny.

You just don't treat professional men like that. You don't act as their father.

Fine them, sure. But you don't put them in your car and drive them all over town forcing them to apologize. Terrible inter-personal skills shown yet again by [Redacted]. How Wellman thinks that is a positive is beyond me.

Fine them, sure. But you don't put them in your car and drive them all over town forcing them to apologize. Terrible inter-personal skills shown yet again by [Redacted]. How Wellman thinks that is a positive is beyond me.

Wellman used it as an example to show what a great person we have as a coach, because he has conviction and sticks to it, etc.

I also doubt it really went down like that anyway, it's all probably more revisionist history to cover up the fact that he got fired because he sucks.

4885296917_14c2343456_z.jpg

Wellman used it as an example to show what a great person we have as a coach, because he has conviction and sticks to it, etc.

I also doubt it really went down like that anyway, it's all probably more revisionist history to cover up the fact that he got fired because he sucks.

Sounds to me like we have an asshole as a coach that throws his morals onto other grown ass men.

Just when you think it can't get any worse...

i get that was ronnie's point but it also shows that bzz can't look at past actions, review and learn from them. this is just another example of nothing ever being bzz' fault.

Back