• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Childress Speaking at Raleigh Deacon Club Tour Tomorrow, 4/25

Wellman was asked about the transfers from the program and went on a diatribe about how college basketball is at a crossroads concerning transfers and "One and Done", etc. He said that on average 1.5 players transfer each year per college basketball team. Then told about how Buzz and the DOBO had either compiled or found some statistics that only 5% of players in the NBA are transfers. He said how their NBA connections had told them that the NBA looks down on drafting transfer players. Just feeding the spin machine without answering the question.

every time i think about this bs excuse i want to throw up. really, nba executives care about transfers? they look down on kids that transfer? won't draft them? here i thought all nba executives cared about was money and winning. thanks for the information ronnie. i'm glad you are buying what bzz is selling. by the way, buddy, if why in the world did bzz find or compile this stat in the midst of a mini mutiny that saw almost half your team transfer? i'll give you a hint, it's because bzz did nothing wrong. again.

It's never his fault!
It's never his faulllltttt
Jeffrey [Redacted]
It's never his fault!

Wellman was asked about the transfers from the program and went on a diatribe about how college basketball is at a crossroads concerning transfers and "One and Done", etc. He said that on average 1.5 players transfer each year per college basketball team. Then told about how Buzz and the DOBO had either compiled or found some statistics that only 5% of players in the NBA are transfers. He said how their NBA connections had told them that the NBA looks down on drafting transfer players. Just feeding the spin machine without answering the question.

[sarcasm]Yeah, NBA teams "look down" on transfers, but they don't mind players jumping after 1-2 years. It's only a big deal to NBA teams when a player doesn't stick to his commitment to a school by transferring. No big deal at all if they enter the draft. [/sarcasm]

In fact, those are the players that those stats completely ignore. Players with NBA potential who are in bad situations, rather than transferring and sitting out a year, just jump to the NBA. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option for the players Bzz ran off our team.

For all the talk about values and finding true student athletes, and doing what it takes to win in at this level, etc., we (Wellman/Bz) sure bring up the NBA a LOT.

I think the tip story with the Nuggets involved Kenyon Martin. Surprise Surprise that didn't work out.

Finally, at the end of the story about the Nuggets after Buzz laid down the law, the next game all of those NBA players wore their socks correctly. And Wellman replied, "Oh heavens, yes!"

Well, the posts here about last night are pretty much correct - I just don't flip to see the negative connotation of many of them.
- Chill said and seemed very dedicated to the success of the program - that was a positive to me. Reaching out to Tim, Josh, & Chris and his receiving their positive response was great. I don't think he would be a sell-out just to get the job.
- The major point of college transfers playing in the pros was, they may not be as dedicated to strive through difficulty. - character issues are a part of any resume and pros consider it.
- Ron's point, to me, was Jim Grobe did not have a big winning percentage when hired - he did have some good people left from Jim C. and that helped him get past the 1st years (bowl team)
- Ron did say 'we' would meet with W-S people next week on The Joel. Seemed to imply that some arrangement that we manage The Joel but not expect to lose so much money, was a possibility, among others.
- I did wonder after the Denver Nugget story and how Coach B responded, that the 'FU' to the FSU fan was passed over. 9not the time or place to discuss) I recall Ron said at the time "It won't happen again". Always wondered about that, likely a very strong msg to Coach B. Again, didn't like the 'FU' comment by Coach B. but could see how someone could be driven to that out of frustration. IMHO it was mild and brief compared to a number of other coaches actions.
- Ron seemed to be almost spot on in predicting our wins, would be disappointed if untrue. I have some doubts but will accept.
So, I'll remain a bit positive on where we go from here. Having new recruits that seem to be enthusiastic is a plus. I had hoped M Jones (Raleigh) would have been there. For him to sign on after the xfers is a plus too, I think.

For all the talk about values and finding true student athletes, and doing what it takes to win in at this level, etc., we (Wellman/Bz) sure bring up the NBA a LOT.

Can we go ahead and give Bzzz the ACC's uncoveted Sidney Lowe Award?

- The major point of college transfers playing in the pros was, they may not be as dedicated to strive through difficulty. - character issues are a part of any resume and pros consider it.

Yeah, but I don't think our latest batch of transfers had character issues. Our coaching staff, on the other hand, seems to... It's a cheap shot at good kids and that's f**ked.

Wait... so now it is unlikely that Carson, Anthony and Tony will get drafted? That sucks for them.

Wait... so now it is unlikely that Carson, Anthony and Tony will get drafted? That sucks for them.

Yeah, that's my point. I could justify in the wake of JT, Melvin, and Tony moving on, but it's just a cheap shot in this context. By all accounts, they moved on because they either dislike [Redacted] or felt offended by being so openly recruited over...

Is it a cheap shot? Ron Wellman and Jeff [Redacted]'s goal and focus is to Wake Forest and these kids (great character or not) chose to no longer be a part of it. They could have wished them well, but clearly RW and Coach [Redacted] are trying to focus on rejuvenating the fan base by talking about the future and not looking at the past.

Is it a cheap shot? Ron Wellman and Jeff [Redacted]'s goal and focus is to Wake Forest and these kids (great character or not) chose to no longer be a part of it. They could have wished them well, but clearly RW and Coach [Redacted] are trying to focus on rejuvenating the fan base by talking about the future and not looking at the past.

Talking about the future by taking one final parting shot at the past's "character." You can wish them well, you don't say that transfers (especially Tony, Anthony, and Carson) won't make it because they have character issues. The latter was implicit in the alleged comments.

If I could go back in time, then I would have jumped on the Bzz-out train so much earlier. This whole thing just gets more and more disgraceful.

Ron telling the Denver mutiny story seems odd.
Arrogant Bzz: "I wouldn't change a thing."

I swear Wellman gets his talking points from DS apologists. That Bzzzz/Grobe comparison came right from there. It's totally idiotic.

If the focus is on the future why did Wellman talk about transfers that are so plainly not part of the future?

He did talk about transfers because he was asked a question about the transfers.

The 'transfer' comments came from a question Ron was asked re: the one-and-done in college basketball and what to do. Ron stated the baseball 3yr rules, etc. and that transfers in general were well up in basketball, over 500 this past year. How AAU coaches would call the action to get kids to xfer to get more 'shots' at another school to showcase themselves and there was some level of chaos in the system. He said MSU had a starting guard xfer. The 5% was BG to the xfer situation - Ron did not bring our three into the conversation and to imply he was again throwing them under the bus is incorrect. Again he was not 'Woe is us' at their leaving - he didn't mention them at all. Only Chill stated that he thought that two leaving ( no names) was likely due to CMM coming.

Only Chill stated that he thought that two leaving ( no names) was likely due to CMM coming.

Carson was definitely one of the guys he was talking about then. Really a toss up on which of Anthony or Tony was the other.

Back