• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

i'll miss it even though boundary stone is so much better

made and lost some good memories at rustik

The last time I went to Boundary Stone my burger came out raw. It had a hard sear and was completely raw in the middle. The chef came out and we laughed about it. He said he had absolutely no idea how that could happen.

Still love that place.

Went to Farmers and Distillers yesterday, and just like Founding Farmers, it's a complete shit-show. The food was good, not great, and the menu was all over the place. It's a mix of asian, southern/comfort and italian. So bizarre.

After three previous unsuccessful tries (we had to cancel once, the restaurant cancelled twice) we finally made it to Fiola last night. It was wildly underwhelming in every single aspect. We each had the four course menu and got different things, and neither one of us loved any of the 8 dishes that came to the table (or either of the desserts). Nothing was bad, but nothing was really anything special. And the service was meh; just very impersonal. For that amount of money I really expect a whole lot more. I don't see us ever returning.

After three previous unsuccessful tries (we had to cancel once, the restaurant cancelled twice) we finally made it to Fiola last night. It was wildly underwhelming in every single aspect. We each had the four course menu and got different things, and neither one of us loved any of the 8 dishes that came to the table (or either of the desserts). Nothing was bad, but nothing was really anything special. And the service was meh; just very impersonal. For that amount of money I really expect a whole lot more. I don't see us ever returning.

Felt the same about Fiola Mare. I don't understand the accolades.

I really enjoyed Fiola Mare, but it's been a while now. Last night makes me think I'll hesitate before making the trek all the way back to G'town for Mare.

In other news, the bar at the new Trump hotel has raised their cocktail prices so that the cheapest cocktail on the menu is $24. Not that I had any plans to ever go there before, but this is pretty ridiculous. http://www.eater.com/2017/1/5/14180708/trump-hotel-cocktail-prices-expensive

Did minibar solo tonight. Ended up having a blast with the other 5 people.

xc6p1g.jpg

Went to Himitsu on Friday, pretty deelish. Really liked the spice levels, had some heat but not overwhelming. Was also pretty affordable as well.

Also, Shaw Bijou closed after less than 3 months. Too expensive even for DC.

Went to Himitsu on Friday, pretty deelish. Really liked the spice levels, had some heat but not overwhelming. Was also pretty affordable as well.

I'm really sad that Crane & Turtle closed, but glad to hear Himitsu is good. I need to go up there and check it out.

I have always maintained that Toki is better than Daikaya but the last time I went to Daikaya it was so freaking good that I'm not sure anymore.

Daikaya is definitely more authentically Japanese. But Toki's flavors can be more interesting.

It has, admittedly, been a while since I've been to Daikaya. Maybe I'll give it another look soon if you think it's Toki good now.

I've only been to Toki a couple of times since Brunner-Yang left, but on those trips I didn't notice a dip in quality. But I have read that some people think that it has.

Went to Daikaya for lunch today and thought it was spectacular. Still think I prefer Toki, but it's not the slam dunk I previously maintained. It was really good. My dress shirt didn't fare great, but that's the cost of doing business.

Nice to really relevant to this thread, but I just had one of the best meals I can remember. Place called Oriole in Chicago. The dishes ranged across Southern Europe and all had some Asian influence/flair. Just incredible. I may book again for the next time I'm up here.

Went there last night and thought it was great. Agree with everything you said.

Have you checked out Timber Pizza also on Upshur?

Never been to Sud, but I loved the original up Georgia. I was bummed when they closed it.

Timber is really good. Wife likes it better than all purpose, not sure if I'd go that far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone been to Hazel? We have grandparents in town babysitting in two weeks and want to get out to celebrate birthdays (really just get out to dinner). Need somewhere that takes reservations and would prefer to stay east of Dupont/Logan.

Did you end up checking out Hazel? I've heard some mixed things.

I ended up at Art and Soul last night for the first time in 3 or 4 years (or maybe longer) and I don't remember if it it's always been meh, but it defs was last night. It was just like any other mediocre hotel restaurant.

No. We waited too long and no reservation left at the time we wanted. We ended up going to the bar at Corduroy cause we knew we could walk in.

Haven't been to Art and Soul in a looooong time, but my recollection is similar to your take.

i guess this is the thread for it, any dc deacs gonna catch the louisville game somewhere this weds?

i guess this is the thread for it, any dc deacs gonna catch the louisville game somewhere this weds?

I haven't gotten any of the "official viewing party" emails that happen sometimes. I guess because it's on a wednesday at 9 pm. If there is a spot I'll join though.

Back