• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chip Kelly new head coach of Philadelphia Eagles

I really don't think, overall, foles will make it under Kelly....my main point is that Vick is not all of the sudden resurect his career

Seriously, good hire for the Eagles. I'll be interested to see what Kelly does with the defense and of course the QB.

Bummer. I like Chip Kelly and I like Oregon. I strongly dislike the Eagles. Hopefully Oregon pulls a Stanford, but I doubt it.

This legitimately scares me. He could be the right guy at the right time.

Really? As a Giants fan I am loving this move. When was the last time a college coach with a gimmick offense went to the NFL and succeeded? Ever? Guys like Spurrier and Saban couldn't hack it. The college guys who have been successful in the NFL, of which there are few to begin with (Jimmy Johnson, Harbaugh, Carroll recently), basically just run pro-style offenses with some wrinkles depending on personnel and focus on defense. I love this move, enjoy battling Romo for last place in the division for the next 3 years.

I think this will show if Chip Kelly is indead a good coach or simply a system coach that was lucky enough to be a program like Oregon where he could recruit better athletes than most of the competition he played. Kelly's Oregon teams were able to assemble athletes that gave them a huge speed advantage over nearly every team they played and he could run the uptempo offense because even if it meant tiring out his defense they would put up so many points it didn't matter. That type of offense in the NFL will not work as it did at Oregon. If he adjusts his style and schemes and has NFL success he'll show he's a great coach and not just a system coach.

He also has to hire good coordinators around him, and well, the eagles won 4 fucking games last year, can make it worse,?

Really? As a Giants fan I am loving this move. When was the last time a college coach with a gimmick offense went to the NFL and succeeded? Ever? Guys like Spurrier and Saban couldn't hack it. The college guys who have been successful in the NFL, of which there are few to begin with (Jimmy Johnson, Harbaugh, Carroll recently), basically just run pro-style offenses with some wrinkles depending on personnel and focus on defense. I love this move, enjoy battling Romo for last place in the division for the next 3 years.

he doesn't run a gimmick offense. actually runs more of an old school offense than most teams now, only thing different is the pace.

I think this was a homerun hire by the Eagles. The spread is slowly gaining ground in the NFL, so I think this hire is going to put the Eagles near the forefront of that trend.

The biggest thing about guys like Harbaugh and Carroll is that they had previous success in the NFL. Harbaugh as a player, Carroll as a longtime coach. Kelly never played or coached in the NFL. I'm not saying that'll automatically make him a failure, but he has quite a learning curve ahead of him. He just out-athleted many teams in the Pac 12 by running a million plays with his superstar recruits and wearing out teams like Washington State and Cal. He won't have the best and fastest guys on the field every Sunday, so he'll have to figure out a way to succeed anyway. And he'll have to hope the pro guys buy into his system. It'll be interesting to watch. If I had to guess, I'd say he'll be back in college ball in 5 years or less. But I could be completely wrong and he could be Jim Harbaugh 2.0 and have a Super Bowl contender in a couple of years.

Last edited:
Why do people call Pete Carroll a college guy?

Also, why does everybody ignore Saban's NFL experience, prior to becoming the Dolphins head coach?

Perfect. Only two years until he's fired and Kevin Plank can hire him.

Why do people call Pete Carroll a college guy?

Also, why does everybody ignore Saban's NFL experience, prior to becoming the Dolphins head coach?

Carroll: Because he was a rousing success in college, whereas he was generally awful in the NFL other than during his stint as the Jets defensive coordinator (mostly because he had Mo Lewis and Jeff Lageman in their prime along with a veteran Ronnie Lott). Given the disparity between the levels of his NFL success and his college success, most people view him as a college guy.

Saban: Again, it is the disparity. He was mediocre at best in the NFL in non-limelight assistant positions. When he got into the NFL limelight he sucked dick. Contrast that with doing well at MSU, great at LSU, and fantastic at Alabama.

I think the traditional pro style is changing. He seems to be ahead of the curve. I dont know if it will work or not but it just scares me a bit. Look for him to draft a QB or two in April.

he doesn't run a gimmick offense. actually runs more of an old school offense than most teams now, only thing different is the pace.

Yeah and that pace is great if you scoring on nearly every possession, but if you've got a defense on the other side that is causing some 3 and out as he will see in the NFL, it will kill your own defense.

Trouble is who is going to run the spread and read option for him? Not Foles. Not Vick, though I disagree with Philly and think Vick may have another couple of decent years in him in the right situation. Not a 1st round QB in this year's draft. Logan Thomas may have been worth a 3rd round pick but he's going back to VT. Maybe he drafts Collin Klein in Round 7. No FA QBs worth anything - Vick will be the best FA available. Smith will be available via trade with SF, but while he's athletic, I don't think he's athletic enough to run that offense. It could take him 2-3 years to get the right personnel in place. And Philly fans aren't known for their patience and understanding.

I think the traditional pro style is changing. He seems to be ahead of the curve. I dont know if it will work or not but it just scares me a bit. Look for him to draft a QB or two in April.

Just because it is changing doesn't mean that it works. Look at the 4 teams left. 3 of them have about as traditional QBs as you can imagine, and the 4th is there because of its defense. I'm not saying an up-tempo, pass-happy offense can't win, I'm saying that relying on that to win because of it simply out-scheming NFL defenses on a regular basis is not going to happen.

Saban and gimmick offense don't fit together very well as ideas. Spurrier ran a college offense that he tried to bring to the NFL, yes. Saban was something entirely different.

Trouble is who is going to run the spread and read option for him? Not Foles. Not Vick, though I disagree with Philly and think Vick may have another couple of decent years in him in the right situation. Not a 1st round QB in this year's draft. Logan Thomas may have been worth a 3rd round pick but he's going back to VT. Maybe he drafts Collin Klein in Round 7. No FA QBs worth anything - Vick will be the best FA available. Smith will be available via trade with SF, but while he's athletic, I don't think he's athletic enough to run that offense. It could take him 2-3 years to get the right personnel in place. And Philly fans aren't known for their patience and understanding.

They should get my boi Joe Webb.

Saban and gimmick offense don't fit together very well as ideas. Spurrier ran a college offense that he tried to bring to the NFL, yes. Saban was something entirely different.

Yeah, Saban runs more of an NFL offense at Alabama than a lot of NFL teams run.

Vick: No, he does not have a couple good years in front of him. Prior to dog fights, he was a slightly above avg qb...with one solid season of success (Ironically, ended with loss to Eagles in NFC CHamp game). He does not have that seperation speed anymore, that he had in his prime, and that made all the difference. A good back up QB is the best you get from him.

Eagles Fans: Andy reid was the coach for 14 years. His tenure lasted longer than any other coach WITHOUT a superbowl. The ownership here has learned to not listen to the fanbase. Yes, Eagles fans want success instantly, but there are plenty of knowledgeable fans who understand not EVERYTHING is a coaches fault.

This team can't get worse....technically, they can, but overall.....not really. Chip will bring a different vision and philosophy... Will it work? No clue....but this search needed to end, so they can move forward with all the other aspects of the off-season. A couple of things that could COMPLETELY change direction of his legacy as a pro coach.

- 3 of their offensve linemen were sidelined with season ending injuries (all 3 pro bowlers BTW). Do they come back 100%? If yes, then you have a solid offensive line.... No? Then you are in trouble.
- Can he utilize foles? Even as a band-aid?
- Who are his coordinators? I'm sure he has offensive philosophy down, but the Eagles defense isn't exactly shutting teams out. Who is going to run the defense, and what is their philosophy?
- Draft (all of the above points relate to where we go with this great position we are in)..

These reasons are why I was shocked he took the position, but I'm on board with it because it can't be worse then it was.

Back