• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chip Kelly new head coach of Philadelphia Eagles

Carroll: Because he was a rousing success in college, whereas he was generally awful in the NFL other than during his stint as the Jets defensive coordinator (mostly because he had Mo Lewis and Jeff Lageman in their prime along with a veteran Ronnie Lott). Given the disparity between the levels of his NFL success and his college success, most people view him as a college guy.

Saban: Again, it is the disparity. He was mediocre at best in the NFL in non-limelight assistant positions. When he got into the NFL limelight he sucked dick. Contrast that with doing well at MSU, great at LSU, and fantastic at Alabama.

That's BS. People like to use Carroll to bolster their argument that a college guy can succeed in the NFL. The dude spent 16 consecutive years in the NFL, being rewarded with two head coaching jobs, before going to Southern Cal. If anything he's an example of an NFL guy having success in college than the opposite.

Saban didn't suck dick in the NFL. He was 15-17 (9-7, 6-10) and the second season he wound up settling on his third string QB after Culpeper couldn't go and Joey Harrington sucked. And how exactly is Defensive Coordinator of an NFL team for four years a non-limelight position?

I realize this is a message board and silly flash opinions is what this is all about but to say this is a great / terrible hire is crazy. No way to tell. Kelly is a mold breaker and we will not know for a few years if he broke it in a good way or a bad way.

Tahj Boyd would have made a nice pick for the Eagles.

I realize this is a message board and silly flash opinions is what this is all about but to say this is a great / terrible hire is crazy. No way to tell. Kelly is a mold breaker and we will not know for a few years if he broke it in a good way or a bad way.

Well said...

Vick: No, he does not have a couple good years in front of him. Prior to dog fights, he was a slightly above avg qb...with one solid season of success (Ironically, ended with loss to Eagles in NFC CHamp game). He does not have that seperation speed anymore, that he had in his prime, and that made all the difference. A good back up QB is the best you get from him.

Eagles Fans: Andy reid was the coach for 14 years. His tenure lasted longer than any other coach WITHOUT a superbowl. The ownership here has learned to not listen to the fanbase. Yes, Eagles fans want success instantly, but there are plenty of knowledgeable fans who understand not EVERYTHING is a coaches fault.

This team can't get worse....technically, they can, but overall.....not really. Chip will bring a different vision and philosophy... Will it work? No clue....but this search needed to end, so they can move forward with all the other aspects of the off-season. A couple of things that could COMPLETELY change direction of his legacy as a pro coach.

- 3 of their offensve linemen were sidelined with season ending injuries (all 3 pro bowlers BTW). Do they come back 100%? If yes, then you have a solid offensive line.... No? Then you are in trouble.
- Can he utilize foles? Even as a band-aid?
- Who are his coordinators? I'm sure he has offensive philosophy down, but the Eagles defense isn't exactly shutting teams out. Who is going to run the defense, and what is their philosophy?
- Draft (all of the above points relate to where we go with this great position we are in)..

These reasons are why I was shocked he took the position, but I'm on board with it because it can't be worse then it was.

Reid did go to the SB that 1 year. I hear you on Vick, but some team like Zona or KC is going to offer him a nice contract because there are only about 20 teams happy with their current QB situations, and this is 1 of the sketchiest QB drafts in memory. I'm not saying Kelly's a per se bad hire, but I don't think he's the right man at the right time for Philly because he isn't going to have a QB who can run his system unless he drafts Manual from FSU in the 3rd-4th or Klein in the 7th. I think he's going to be forced to roll with Foles for at least a season while they try to repair the OL and D, which means they'll suck to the point where they'll have a top-10 pick next year. And unfortunately for Kelly, guys like RG3 and Cam don't grow on trees. But hey, I'm sure my Ravens will be happy to trade Tyrod Taylor and Dennis Dixon for Foles.

He may have played his way into the 1st round this year. I think I saw that no QBs had a 1st round grade. Next year, he'd be behind a few guys.

Yeah, I like watching Boyd play. The other guy who could be a relative bargain next year is Logan Thomas. VT has descended into mediocrity over the last few years due to a drop in talent level. Thomas had a nice sophomore year but his numbers were awful this year - I believe mainly because they had graduated their WRs and he was playing with unimpressive RBs, poor WRs and a bad OL. Thomas has a gun, quiet feet, good size and decent enough speed to run a spread at the next level.

Agreed. His physical traits will get him a lot of looks, especially if Cam, RGIII, and Kaep continue to succeed.

True. All im saying is I would have rather the eagles gotten someone else.

I'm a lifelong Eagles fan and the only hire that would have made me happier is we were able to convince Jon Gruden to get out of the announcer's booth. I'm thrilled with the hire.

I really like the Chip Kelly hire. The Eagles O line will be significantly improved with the return of Peters, Kelce and Herremans. Even with Nick Foles, the offense should be much better next year. The big problem is the defense that has no identity since Jim Johnson died and an overpaid secondary that can't tackle. Kelly's a brilliant offensive mind, he better hire a brilliant defensive coordinator.

Welp see ya later Oregon, it was a cute little run yall had...

I wouldn't go that far. They have an impressive amount of resources and were relevant before Chip Kelly came on board.

Saban didn't suck dick in the NFL. He was 15-17 (9-7, 6-10) and the second season he wound up settling on his third string QB after Culpeper couldn't go and Joey Harrington sucked. And how exactly is Defensive Coordinator of an NFL team for four years a non-limelight position?

When it is for the Cleveland Browns.

Oregon will always be find...Nike will make sure of it.

Oregon = Butch Davis (Miami) They will be fine for one or two years until they have to recruit new talent. Oregon has never had tons of Nfl talent it was all Kelly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Back