• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Givens--Early Draft Ranking

therealCG2 Chris Givens
Got most of that paper out of the way, now it's time to go eat!

therealCG2 Chris Givens
About to work on this paper before I go lift. I hope Ethan not in one of his moods today smh lol

He's still doing classwork.

Good luck Givens.
Coming from someone who just watches football, I think his game translates very well to the pros. Fast, good with short, long, intermediate routes, screen passes turn into big plays. If he is receiving good advice about top 3 rounds than take it. How many WRs do you see that go late or undrafted that turn out to be solid, if not studly. Miles Austin to name just one.
No deac fan can get upset with him, especially if he receives a good grade.
Obviously we would love him to come back next year.
Go Deacs.

Givens stayin another year with galloway would be beneficial, but is galloway a better WR coach than any coach he will have in the NFL? Not arguing, just askin a question

i don't understand the mentality on this thread. "If he's projected 3rd-5th he should go."??? He has had so little hype nationally why. I think he benefits tremendously by coming back for his senior year. He could gain a ton of draft momentum by coming back

What does national hype have to do with anything? The NFL teams who draft based on media hype are the ones who consistently suck anyway. No halfway competent scout is going to be more likely to draft a player just because of "hype".

The relevant question is if he comes back will he be more likely to (1) get a degree (2) and get drafter higher and thus make more money.

If he is on pace to graduate then the first is irrelevant. For the second to happen he would have to show something to scouts above and beyond what he did this year.

In one year is Chris going to grow taller, get faster, become a better WR, or become more productive?

He clearly is not going to get taller, faster, and given the season he had... how much more productive can he be? Coming back could certainly help him improve his routes, blocking, understanding of the game, etc. This would make him more appealing, yes, but enough to make a difference for his draft stock...

I think the whole idea of the thread is to support Givens (if this is not the case than do not post it).
He is the man, great respect for him. Agreed that he cannot get any bigger, faster, taller.
Best thing we can do is cheer for the Deacs and givens and whatever happens, happens. Go deacs

I knew Givens was going to be a badass after reading about and watching his HS games. I knew he would be out to prove those who pulled their scholarship offers wrong and tear up the ACC plus he has my number! : )

Love Givens but he needs another year to prove he can handle press coverage.

Also, huge numbers this year against bad to mediocre teams and then the good teams, not so huge - I guess he was double teamed.

Whatever he does, I hope it turns out to be the best for him. If it does, we will all be happy.
Would we all love for him to come back next year? Of course.

I'll just wish him success and hopes he makes he best decision

well, i think he really needs to keep all options open right now...that includes keeping up with classes and keeping himself eligible to return while preparing for the draft. he absolutely needs to "test the water" and find out what kind of interest he will have. his size can backfire on him but i still think he is a 3-5 pick. i would hate for him to have a bad outing at the combine and have to find a team as a FA.

He's been a great Deac, I just hope that he doesn't contract Jon Abbate syndrome and heed advice from sources who are hellbent on him leaving early.

Love Givens but he needs another year to prove he can handle press coverage.

Also, huge numbers this year against bad to mediocre teams and then the good teams, not so huge - I guess he was double teamed.

I would say this is one of the more observant posts yet.

Chris still struggles against strong corners who can press him. He still has strength issues getting off the line against veteran DB's.

My belief is another year of S&C will keep him from being demoralized as a rookie WR in the NFL and that the preparedness will actually lead to a longer career as a Pro. JMHO.

Last edited:
Givens stayin another year with galloway would be beneficial, but is galloway a better WR coach than any coach he will have in the NFL? Not arguing, just askin a question

As lectro just said, playing in the NFL can be a demoralizing experience. I'm sure his NFL position coach will be just as good. The problem is that he won't get as many reps in the game to build on what he's learning in practice. And if he gets buried on the depth chart, he won't really get much attention in practice.

He's been a great Deac, I just hope that he doesn't contract Jon Abbate syndrome and heed advice from sources who are hellbent on him leaving early.

Chris' situation is not at all similar to Jon's. Chris has legitimate options, and IMO he should pursue the one that is best for him and his family. FWIW, he has stated that earning his degree is a priority for him even if he goes to the NFL.

Chris' situation is not at all similar to Jon's. Chris has legitimate options, and IMO he should pursue the one that is best for him and his family. FWIW, he has stated that earning his degree is a priority for him even if he goes to the NFL.

That's great to hear. I also read a great article in the Burlington Times about the situation. Coach Grobe seems to be very supportive of Chris during the process and wants to make sure he makes the best decision for himself.

I really hope Chris comes back and continues to get better on the field to increase his draft status (future first rounder?!?!). However, I understand if he goes if he receives strong feedback from the NFL.

As far as hype and increasing draft position, look at what happened to AC when he came back. He continued to excel on the field and in the weight room his senior season. Won the Butkus, became a top 5 pick and got one of the best ever rookie contracts for a LB.

It's a tough decision for a kid to make.

Not a single poster has mentioned his family situation, probably because we cannot fathom it. Yet we seem to know what's best for him...

My family at home is not in a good situation.

I think whether he stays or goes his ceiling is Harry Douglas and his floor is Kenny Moore.

The reason to stay is that one more outstanding season probably bumps him up at least one round and gets him on the national radar. Teams are much less likely to give up on a second or third round pick than a 4th or 5th rounder. A 4th or 5th rounder really has to bust ass to get any PT in the NFL unless there are injuries or special circumstances at their position. Especially if they are undersized at the position.

He'll get a better shot at contributing in the NFL if he stays another year.

therealCG2 Chris Givens
Got most of that paper out of the way, now it's time to go eat!

therealCG2 Chris Givens
About to work on this paper before I go lift. I hope Ethan not in one of his moods today smh lol

He's still doing classwork.

You mean BillGeorge was just being a tool? Perish the thought!

If I were him, I'd go pro if he is projected in the first 4 rounds. Not much to gain from coming back.

I hope he stays though.

Is he high enough on NFL GM's radar screens at this point? How well known is he outside of the ACC?

Back