• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Givens--Early Draft Ranking

If he's not in the first 3 rounds, he may not have a paycheck at all.

Ehh, I have a hard time seeing a time refusing to sign someone they draft in the top 5 rounds. Maybe not to a first-team contract, but at least to some kind of contract.

If you're talking about the possibility that Chris falls into the 6th or 7th rounds, then yes, I agree, Chris should obviously stay.

Another thing is that Chris only has a limited number of years he will be physically able to play football. He can leave early and have 10 NFL salary years or stay and have 9 salary years. The risk-reward greatly favors him leaving should he be in the 4th round or higher.

Walk up to any junior and ask them if they would take a 350k job next year with the option to finish school later and see what they say?

The other thing that people aren't really thinking about is that Chris not only has to be concerned about his health next year if he were to stay but the health of Tanner. If Tanner were to go down, there is a good chance that Chris's #'s would go with him. We will have 3 new OL.

Not arguing with that at all. Of course they would. My point is Chris faces a ton more risk than the wall st bound junior would, so its not that great a comparison.

Tell the same junior that they can stay in school and work hard and get a 1M job the next year with a long-term commitment and tell me what they say.

People get caught up in the projections, but more players are projected to go in the first 3 rounds than actually go in the first 3 rounds.

Tell the same junior that they can stay in school and work hard and get a 1M job the next year with a long-term commitment and tell me what they say.

People get caught up in the projections, but more players are projected to go in the first 3 rounds than actually go in the first 3 rounds.

It just comes down to how much risk that person would be willing to take. I wonder how many juniors that decided to stay for a bigger check, actually dropped due to not having the big senior year.

As an example, I think Boo Robinson would have been a 4/5th rounder after his jr year then wasn't drafted after his senior year due to injuries and coaches dog house...

Last edited:
It just comes down to how much risk that person would be willing to take. I wonder how many juniors that decided to stay for a bigger check, actually dropped due to not having the big senior year.

You would also need to know how many of those same juniors greatly enhanced their position before you could make any judgment.

I have seen a lot of underclassmen declaring this week. Has anyone heard what direction Chris is leaning?

Just posted a Givens tweet on the twitter thread, FWIW:

Chris Givens
I've been stuck on the same section of this research paper since yesterday -___-

He's going to class...

That is about the fifth tweet he has mentioned his school work. I wouldn't read too much into that though. He doesn't seem like the type who would quit going to classes even if he is declaring.

Psychology research papers suck so hard. This is a bad time for Chris to be choosing between school and the draft.

That is about the fifth tweet he has mentioned his school work. I wouldn't read too much into that though. He doesn't seem like the type who would quit going to classes even if he is declaring.

I believe people in this thread have already noted that he would get his degree even if he declared. Glad to hear that.

I'm just looking for hope...would love to see Givens wearing black & gold on Saturdays next year, but I also know that if he has a legit NFL opportunity, he should take it.

But I really want him to stay.

He's definitely a changed man...whatever decision -- Good luck to him.

Chris Givens
I don't know what I'm doing yet, right now I just want to focus on the team and playing Miss State.

It is my understanding that he will not be back playing football at WFU next season. Still waiting for official confirmation.

Chris Givens
I don't know what I'm doing yet, right now I just want to focus on the team and playing Miss State.

Regardless of his decision, I hope he has a huge game in Nashville and ends the season on a winning note

It is my understanding that he will not be back playing football at WFU next season. Still waiting for official confirmation.

Interesting phrasing, Baby. Are we to assume NFL, or another school, a la Ylou?

I'd find option #2 to be pretty disturbing.

Interesting phrasing, Baby. Are we to assume NFL, or another school, a la Ylou?

I'd find option #2 to be pretty disturbing.

No no no. Not another school. The next level. If he does not go pro, he will be back in OB&B. While I realize I sometimes can be somewhat cryptic, I did not intend to do so here!!! Thanks for the clarifying question.

Back