• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chris Givens--Early Draft Ranking

I'm sure he will make the right decision. If he comes back, great! If not, great!

He could have an even better year next year for us statistically, but its hard to imagine his stock getting much higher with NFL scouts. Not much else he needs to prove at this level.

He needs to come back. He could be on the college football awards show next year. A chance to be REALLY big and have a special place in WF lore -- same deal as Teague, Johnson, Aminu, Abbate, Paul, MLS soccer kids, etc. (obvioulsy on different levels). I think that the upside is just so special.

I'm sure he will make the right decision. If he comes back, great! If not, great!

He could have an even better year next year for us statistically, but its hard to imagine his stock getting much higher with NFL scouts. Not much else he needs to prove at this level.

See this is the part people keep saying and I disagree with. His stock with NFL scouts can absolutely rise simply because he will be seen by that many more NFL scouts. As it stands, his main exposure to the top scouts will occur on a Wake pro day if it occurs at all. He didn't come into this year considered an elite WR prospect and it isn't like top scouts set their schedule around watching games at Wake so by coming into next year being hyped as one of the best returning WRs he will automatically get more attention from NFL scouts. Sure they have film on him now but I would suspect most scouts like to see a guy in person before they start singing his praises.

Also, as was mentioned earlier he didn't always step up in the big games. With all due respect to Mr. Givens, when an NFL scout is looking at film which film would you give more weight to: 1) Film against some scrub competition, or 2) film against the top level opponents faced. The answer is simple and if they look they will find a receiver that at times had trouble getting off of press coverage from bigger CBs. Guess what the NFL is populated with? Big, strong CBs from the college ranks. I think if he is hearing top 3 rounds he has to go, 4-5 is a debate, and anything lower he should stay. I have no idea of his home situation but his financial prospects aren't great if he isn't taken in like the first 4 rounds or so. At that point he is just at likely to get cut as make the team/practice squad

no one has mentioned chris's bad knees. this is a guy who tore up his knee twice in high school. if he's guaranteed to go in a round that's he happy with, he should go. no reason to risk injury.

im sure his dream was to play in the nfl, not to use up all his eligibility at wake forest.

no one has mentioned chris's bad knees. this is a guy who tore up his knee twice in high school. if he's guaranteed to go in a round that's he happy with, he should go. no reason to risk injury.

im sure his dream was to play in the nfl, not to use up all his eligibility at wake forest.

Fair enough...but if he gets chosen by the wrong team with a late round pick, he may not get a fair shot and could be stuck on practice squads.

If he stays, goes in the top 3 rounds, the odds of him staying on is higher simply because a team invested a higher pick in him.

I'm a fan, so I'm going to be selfish...he should stay.

Actually, for someone worried about injuries, making sure you have a paycheck at all is the better choice.

What's that saying about a bird in the hand?

I completely want Givens to say. I just think you're rationalizing this in the wrong way.

We know about his speed and abilities to get open and catch passes, but that article does bring up good points about blocking and physicality. How will he fare against physical corners in the NFL?

Actually, for someone worried about injuries, making sure you have a paycheck at all is the better choice.

What's that saying about a bird in the hand?

I completely want Givens to say. I just think you're rationalizing this in the wrong way.

If he's not in the first 3 rounds, he may not have a paycheck at all.

He really should come back so he can get a that much better and make a bigger splash in the draft. Chances are Givens won't get much PT on a team (assuming he makes one) so how much better will he really get without more time in game?

Also, I just want to see year 2 of the Tanner-Givens connection

I believe it would be a pretty big mistake if he decides to go pro.

I'll support him either way, however.

Yeah, there's no shortage of draft dumps on practice teams and Arena league teams. First day picks are pretty much guaranteed 3 or 4 years, even if just to assuage the pride of shitty GMs.

what are the numbers here? NFL minimum salary for 2012 is $390,000. Unless he doesn't make any team, he's got that for at least one year. That's nice.

What I can't find are average salaries for draft picks in each of the rounds (except some unsubstantiated wiki-answers saying a fourth-rounder makes $650,000 on average). How much of a jump is it to third round? Second?

Also, what are his career options other than football if, God forbid, he gets an injury or doesn't make a team? That affects the calculus about how much of a risk it would be to play another year at Wake before cashing out his football talent. Givens is majoring in psychology, but that's all I know about him other than football. Good student? Likes psych?

Chris...Please come back. We've got an ACC Championship to win next year!

Holy crap, he def needs to come back.

That's a little much now. Teams don't straight cut a draft pick. He'd have at least a few seasons on the team and at worst he's on the practice squad where he's an injury or two away from being on the 53 man roster.

I don't think he needs to come back. If he's projected in the first three rounds, then a I wholeheartedly support him leaving.

Again, this is where the issue of paying college athletes is very relevant. If he blows his knee out playing for free at Wake, then was his decision to come back worth it? Hell, if he has a bad year, then is his decision worth it?

A Wake degree is great and all, but it's a nasty job market out there... Especially when you're looking at $350k-$650k right out of the gate.

I can't imagine many Wake juniors passing up that opportunity if they were offered a job on Wall Street, for instance, prior to graduation.

Of course, wall street offers a little more job security. So I don't think it's a great comparison.

Of course, wall street offers a little more job security. So I don't think it's a great comparison.

Walk up to any junior and ask them if they would take a 350k job next year with the option to finish school later and see what they say?

The other thing that people aren't really thinking about is that Chris not only has to be concerned about his health next year if he were to stay but the health of Tanner. If Tanner were to go down, there is a good chance that Chris's #'s would go with him. We will have 3 new OL.

Back