• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clash of Clans - New Clan Name: ogboards

Would it be beneficial for those of us with not-so-strong defenses to lose trophies on purpose so we are not in the top 25? I went on a trophy run to get the 450 gem achievement, but I'm still upgrading gold to pink walls, etc.

Would it be beneficial for those of us with not-so-strong defenses to lose trophies on purpose so we are not in the top 25? I went on a trophy run to get the 450 gem achievement, but I'm still upgrading gold to pink walls, etc.

I'm thinking us low guys can either get good troops donated to us and try to use them to take out their low guys, or maybe we can just sacrifice an attack on a better guy to clear out his clan troops, then one of our big dogs can sweep in after and clean up. I also have no idea what I'm talking about, so take that fwiw.

clan troops in clan wars come back even if killed in first attack.

Damn....same with bombs and traps?

Yes.

I would think that most times we (the lower ranking players) would act as ballast to insure a better match up for the top guys. Much like adding a high handicap golfer to a foursome in a captain's choice tournament can get three good golfers into an easier flight. I think the key to us (the lower ranked players) being successful is to make sure we get really, really good troops from the higher ranked guys on planning day. I'm not talking about archers and barbs like normal, I mean maxed out giants or wizards.

Or, if that isn't acceptable, we could always splinter into two clans with the ability to graduate up when justified.

this is what i think i figured out. In clan wars, the troops that are donated to your castle during prep day are only for defense. When you attack in clan wars, you use the troops that are in your village mode clan castle.

So, you want defensive troops (archers, wizards best IMO) donated on the clan wars side during prep day, and you want offensive troops that match your attacking strategy donated to you in your village mode castle.

Does that make sense?

this is what i think i figured out. In clan wars, the troops that are donated to your castle during prep day are only for defense. When you attack in clan wars, you use the troops that are in your village mode clan castle.

So, you want defensive troops (archers, wizards best IMO) donated on the clan wars side during prep day, and you want offensive troops that match your attacking strategy donated to you in your village mode castle.

Does that make sense?

So would a flyer like a dragon be a good defensive troop? I know he takes up a lot of room, but barbs and giants won't be able to attack him, right?

Does that make sense?

Going back and looking at the FAQ that was posted earlier, I think you're right. I didn't notice because my donated troops were essentially the same in both.

So would a flyer like a dragon be a good defensive troop? I know he takes up a lot of room, but barbs and giants won't be able to attack him, right?

IMO it depends on the placement of your CC. If you have it on the edges, people can easily draw the dragon out with 1 archer, bring it away from range of other defensive buildings and kill it pretty easily since it is slow. If you have you CC in the very middle, where it is difficult to draw out, people will likely try to attack with full force, then your dragon is torching people while their troops are getting hit with mortars and other buildings.

My clan sucks. all these noobs with epic fails in clan wars.

I attacked the recommended building and got smoked. Oh well, I got us two stars on the first attack!

I think it is what it is from a trophies perspective. I'm in the same boat as you and I don't care about trophies after getting the 450 gems. I've been fighting w/ a lot of goblins to maximize resources so I can keep the 3 builders and troop upgrades active.

Now that it's clan-based, I guess I have to actually figure shit out. This will NOT become life-consuming like WoW, however. I will play it when I'm dropping a deuce or bored at work or otherwise killing time.

I think it is what it is from a trophies perspective. I'm in the same boat as you and I don't care about trophies after getting the 450 gems. I've been fighting w/ a lot of goblins to maximize resources so I can keep the 3 builders and troop upgrades active.

Once I got to the 1250 mark or however many it is you need to get the gems, I started getting my ass kicked and dropped back into the 1100s (I just let people attack me for the most part). I'm now back in the 1200s again.

I don't really understand the whole clan wars screen. I attacked one of our enemies, got 50% and 1 star (didn't get the town hall, damn it), and then it shows me (FreckedNotGinge) as only getting 16% on the clan war screen. What gives?

Also, what's the deal with the resources? Where does the loot bonus go?

I had a good laugh - I was all excited about participating in my first clan war, and then I looked... I was the 21st guy in a 20 v 20 battle :( Didn't realize how bad my late night gold runs last night were... Well, on the bright side, I can focus on getting my rating up to 1250 for gems, so I can get this 5th builder hut built.

Pro tip: don't get the fifth builder. Hang on to your gems and use them to fill your gold storage when it becomes difficult to save for the big items.

I have 4 builders and I struggle to keep them all busy at this point. Resources are more important IMO.

I use all my builders quite a bit, but would agree with you anyway about saving gems.

Pro tip: don't get the fifth builder. Hang on to your gems and use them to fill your gold storage when it becomes difficult to save for the big items.

I have 4 builders and I struggle to keep them all busy at this point. Resources are more important IMO.

This. I struggle to keep 4 busy. Eventually your upgrades will all be 4 million or higher and you won't be able to gain resources fast enough to keep them all busy.

Damn, our top dogs don't even have full castle reinforcements.....if they aren't full before battle starts, I'll throw some 4* in or 3* wizards...

Back