• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson File / Impressive Hire

Lectro

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Excellent job Mr. Wellman.

Dave Clawson Named Head Football Coach
Fan Q&A session with Coach Clawson scheduled for 5 p.m. today at Deacon Tower

Dec. 10, 2013

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Dave Clawson today was named as the 32nd head football coach in Wake Forest University history. The head coach at Bowling Green State University for the past five seasons, Clawson led the Falcons to the 2013 Mid-American Conference championship on Friday with a 47-27 win over No. 16 Northern Illinois.

"We are very pleased to have Dave Clawson leading our football program," said Director of Athletics Ron Wellman. "Dave is a proven winner and leader and has had great success at every institution he has coached. Dave has rebuilt every program that he has coached and has led each institution to a conference championship. He has developed a national reputation as a builder of programs. Dave's expectations for our program and players are extremely high. We have much to look forward to with his leadership of our program."

Clawson will be introduced to Demon Deacon fans at a Q&A session today at 5 p.m. on the sixth floor of Deacon Tower. All fans are invited to attend, and the event will be streamed live on WakeForestSports.com.

Clawson joins the Demon Deacons after five seasons as the head coach at Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, Ohio. He built the Falcons to be explosive both offensively and defensively. The 2013 Bowling Green team currently eighth in the nation in total offense and 23rd in total defense. In 2012, BGSU was ranked sixth in the nation in total defense in and 10th nationally in scoring defense, yielding just 16.8 points per game. The Falcons are the only non-power conference team to rank in the top 25 statistically in both total offense and total defense in 2013.

Bowling Green's 2013 team went 10-3 overall and won the MAC East title with a 7-1 record. The Falcons have received a bid to the Little Caesar's Bowl on Dec. 26 in Detroit. It marks the third bowl appearance in five seasons for Clawson's team.

Clawson will yield his position as head coach at Bowling Green and will not coach the Falcons in the bowl game.

In his 14 years as a head coach, Clawson has delivered a conference championship at every stop. Prior to this year's Mid-American Conference title at Bowling Green, Clawson helped Richmond to Colonial Athletic Association titles in 2005 and 2007. His first championship as a head coach came in 2002 when he led Fordham to the Patriot League title.

He has also earned numerous Coach of the Year Awards. He was the Patriot League Coach of the Year in 2001 and 2002 and was awarded the 2005 Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year award in just his second year in the league. Clawson earned CAA Coach of the Year honors in 2007, giving him four Coach of the Year honors in his first nine years as a head coach.

In 2002, Clawson was the Schutt Sports/American Football Monthly I-AA Coach of the Year and a finalist for the Eddie Robinson Award. In 2005, Clawson earned National Coach of the Year from I-AA.org and was again a finalist for the Eddie Robinson Award.

A 1989 graduate of Williams College in Massachusetts, Clawson earned a degree in political economy. A native of Youngstown, NY, Clawson was a defensive back for Williams and went on to serve as a graduate assistant coach at Albany in 1989 and 1990. He moved to Buffalo for the 1991 and 1992 seasons, tutoring the secondary his first year and the quarterbacks and running backs his second.

In 1993, Clawson was named the running backs coach at Lehigh and helped the Mountain Hawks to a 7-4 record and the Patriot League championship. He was promoted to offensive coordinator in 1994 and spent two years in that role, adding another Patriot League title in 1995.

Villanova hired Clawson as offensive coordinator in 1996 and his offense helped the Wildcats to NCAA FCS playoff appearances in 1996 and 1997. During his tenure at Villanova, Clawson's offense established 70 program records, held the No. 1 ranking in the nation for six weeks in 1997 and won the 1997 Atlantic 10 championship. He tutored Brian Westbrook, who became the first player in college football history to gain 1,000 yards both rushing and receiving.

Following the 1998 season, Clawson became the nation's youngest Division I head coach when he was named head coach at Fordham. Inheriting a team that had won just 22 games in the previous 10 years, Clawson turned the Rams into the Patriot League champions in his fourth season at the helm. He was the Patriot League Coach of the Year in both 2001 and 2002. Clawson helped the Rams 2002 FCS Playoffs where they defeated fourth seed Northeastern in the opening round before falling to Villanova.

Clawson was named the head coach at Richmond prior to the 2004 season. He guided the Spiders to the biggest two-year turnaround in school history, improving from 3-8 in 2004 to 9-4 in 2005. In 2007, his final year with the Spiders, Clawson guided Richmond to an 11-3 record, the Colonial South title and the FCS national semifinals.

He left Richmond in 2008 to replace David Cutcliffe as the offensive coordinator under Phillip Fulmer at Tennessee. Following that season, Clawson was named the head coach at Bowling Green in time for the 2009 season.

Clawson has compiled a 90-80 record in 14 career seasons including a 58-47 mark in conference games. He was 29-29 in five seasons at Fordham, 29-20 in four seasons at Richmond and 32-31 in five seasons with Bowling Green.

Clawson and his wife, Catherine, are the parents of two children, Courtney and Eric.

Year School Record Pct. Conf. Pct. Postseason Championships
2013 Bowling Green 10-3 .769 7-1 .875 Little Caesars Bowl MAC Champions
2012 Bowling Green 8-5 .615 6-2 .750 Military Bowl
2011 Bowling Green 5-7 .417 3-5 .375
2010 Bowling Green 2-10 .167 1-7 .125
2009 Bowling Green 7-6 .538 6-2 .750 Humanitarian Bowl
2007 Richmond 11-3 .786 7-1 .875 FCS Playoff Semifinals CAA Champions
2006 Richmond 6-5 .545 3-5 .375
2005 Richmond 9-4 .692 7-1 .875 FCS Playoff Quarterfinals CAA Champions
2004 Richmond 3-8 .273 2-6 .250
2003 Fordham 9-3 .750 4-3 .571
2002 Fordham 10-3 .769 6-1 .857 FCS Playoff Quarterfinals Patriot League Champions
2001 Fordham 7-4 .636 5-2 .714
2000 Fordham 3-8 .273 1-5 .167
1999 Fordham 0-11 .000 0-6 .000
Totals 14 years 90-80 .529 58-47 .552

so do we have to wait for Grobe to get a job somewhere else before Lectro goes away?

I see the tag-fags are out in full force.

That's good shit boys...your Oracle approves :)

No worries... I carried your sorry asses to the promised land the first time and I'm back to do it again.

Hang on Bitches!! :)

Many ask: "dearest Oracle, why do you come down from on-high to hang with the miserable inhabitants of the OGB?"

What can I say...I'm all heart and it pains me to see such a collective case of "Loser" -- take the BBD's and the Racer-types who invariably reach the 4th qtr wandering in their inimitable baby-shit style "I wonder how were gonna fuck this up" as a trickle of pee leaks down the trousers inseam -- or dresses in this case.

No, no...the Oracle led the charge once and is back to do it all over again...as usual the same cadavers will be stuffed in the trunk so they can claim to have been along for the ride.

Optimistic about the Clawson hire, but I'm still shocked that Grobe would step down less than a year after winning the 2013 Orange Bowl, just as the Oracle foretold.

Alrighty then...

Super Dave apparently knows how to build and re-build.

Every stop sans the one year w/ Philly.

Honestly though, Clawson looks like the real Dill.

Butt hurt, no doubt

well you deserve a mop shoved up there after your intolerance so i don't blame whoever did it

you don't remember this, because you were still a UNC fan, but apparently the coaching prospects when we hired Grobe were much worse. a bunch of DONK assistants and retreads. We've come a long way.

tumblr_lgm7nnefP81qd4fqho1_500.png

Back