• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Press Conference tomorrow? (Clawson discussion on othe thread plz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean like rich people pretty much always do?

The positive is that we don't have to sell our souls. The negative is the idea that Wake Forest has to be some arduous uphill climb for every coach. I'm more positive about Wake's prospects of winning than most.

Which is why I appreciate a coach who clearly said "I don't need academic exceptions to win" rather than another coach who said "I'm not coming without them".

What the hell is in Buzz's contract in 2011, HIS SECOND YEAR, that gave him 300K more than Skip ever did in a season??????????????
Inflation isn't that damn bad!
#WTF

Could be delayed money to cover his Colorado buyout

Which is why I appreciate a coach who clearly said "I don't need academic exceptions to win" rather than another coach who said "I'm not coming without them".

So you've heard Lembo turned us down and Clawsen is the 2nd choice?

What the hell is in Buzz's contract in 2011, HIS SECOND YEAR, that gave him 300K more than Skip ever did in a season??????????????
Inflation isn't that damn bad!
#WTF

Wellman's massive salary increase is what blows my mind.

Last edited:
So you've heard Lembo turned us down and Clawsen is the 2nd choice?

There was no formal offer made to Lembo. There was a general discussion regarding a number of things that the parties couldn't agree on. And just because Lembo was the first interview doesn't mean he was first choice. Especially when another candidate was preparing for a title game on Friday night.

Way to re-direct the conversation. This is a silly argument. Clawson's our coach and I'm fired up that he is embracing the unique challenges of Wake. Excited to see what he can do.

I'm very excited about Clawson and I like that attitude as well. That said I hope once Clawson gets here and establishes his plan that he does indeed push the envelope for more exceptions.

I feel like we have a certain ceiling (much higher than where we are now) without more exceptions - it will no doubt take more work on the staff's part, etc. to get more exceptions and not have it blow up in their face.

I personally am 100% supportive of more exceptions, and in no way does it cheapen the university in my mind...Hatch needs to decide if we are just going to cash TV checks or do all we can to compete at the highest level...we have enough hurdles to cross with small alumni base, difficulty of school once you get in, etc....there is no reason we cannot allow for more exceptions on the front end with a check and balance system in place to curb those if Clawson let's things get out of hand.

There was no formal offer made to Lembo. There was a general discussion regarding a number of things that the parties couldn't agree on. And just because Lembo was the first interview doesn't mean he was first choice. Especially when another candidate was preparing for a title game on Friday night.

Way to re-direct the conversation. This is a silly argument. Clawson's our coach and I'm fired up that he is embracing the unique challenges of Wake. Excited to see what he can do.

I agree that Clawson was probably Wellman's first choice. Maybe he lowballed Lembo knowing that Lembo wouldn't accept, and then moved on to Clawson. Perhaps they had even come to a general agreement before the MAC title game, which is why he seemed ready to go in the post game interview.

I agree that Clawson was probably Wellman's first choice. Maybe he lowballed Lembo knowing that Lembo wouldn't accept, and then moved on to Clawson. Perhaps they had even come to a general agreement before the MAC title game, which is why he seemed ready to go in the post game interview.

I think Lembo and Clawson were 1A and 1B. Interviewing Lembo doesn't mean much since Bowling Green had the MAC title game to prepare for. I just hope we got the right guy and it will be many months before we will even be able to assess that.

I have preferred Lembo since this whole discussion started on Monday, but the more I read and think about Clawson, the more I like the hire. He's won at two tough, academically oriented schools without a lot of football cache and seems like he could embrace a school like Wake. I'm OK with this and think Wellman did fine.

I think what stings about Lembo is the thought that (i) we wanted him, and could've had him, but that various administrative limitations of MSD held us back; and that (ii) Lembo had a certain "presence" or attitude toward the position that was almost brash -- dare I say, Skip-esque. Put another way, it seems like Lembo might've adopted a similar tack to Skip in pursuing a sort of "Why not at Wake" attitude that would've filtered down to recruiting, fan support, and media attention that we all would've really latched onto.

This isn't to say Clawson can't or won't do that, it's just that Lembo sort of exudes that type of personality and I think after the last 5 years of the revenue-sport disaster we've suffered through here, a guy like Lembo would've been a serious refresher for a fanbase that is pretty beaten down.

Could be delayed money to cover his Colorado buyout

but wellman said wake forest does not pay a coach's buy out... oh yeah, another line of bs from him. #culture.

i found the email from wellman interesting that #culture was not high on clawson's list of attributes.

There was no formal offer made to Lembo.

it does not mater how many coaches are interviewed. the only "formal offer" in any of these situations is the one the incoming coach accepts.

Via Wikipedia so FWIW....

Clawson describes his coaching style as one that utilizes the available talent to maximize success. His philosophy focuses on getting individual playmakers more touches rather than sticking to a rigidly-defined system.

If accurate HAL LEY LOO YA !....no more Lobo square peg-round hole offensive disasters !

Via Wikipedia so FWIW....

Clawson describes his coaching style as one that utilizes the available talent to maximize success. His philosophy focuses on getting individual playmakers more touches rather than sticking to a rigidly-defined system.

If accurate HAL LEY LOO YA !....no more Lobo square peg-round hole offensive disasters !

Yeah remember when we had Calhoun and that's basically the way we approached the offense back then? Hopefully Clawson gets us back to that.

Yeah remember when we had Calhoun and that's basically the way we approached the offense back then? Hopefully Clawson gets us back to that.

We thought maybe one day we'd get that Falcon to come to Winson. Turned out we got another. Here's hoping for some offensive dynamism that is harder to prepare for than what we've been trotting out the last few years.

Uh, this is kind of weird.

2hi768g.jpg

BGSU-football-coach-Clawson.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back