• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Press Conference tomorrow? (Clawson discussion on othe thread plz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can uphold academic requirements and reputation without using them to justify mediocrity, which is what Wake Forest does. We don't have to sell our souls to have a strong football program. That's the lie we've been fed for decades to allow Wellman to appear successful without regard to what actually happens on the field/court.

Wellman doesnt have any control over the academic requirements or allowing massive exceptions to our admissions policies of athletes. And I'm pretty certain Lembo's requests would have been borderline selling our soul.

Wellman doesnt have any control over the academic requirements or allowing massive exceptions to our admissions policies of athletes. And I'm pretty certain Lembo's requests would have been borderline selling our soul.

I will say that it is my understanding that the exceptions/exemptions issue was a sticking point for Hatch, not as much for Wellman.

And PH I'm surprised you don't view a coach needing a ton of academic exceptions as an excuse. Whereas Clawson was quoted from his Richmond days as using the academic requirements as an asset for recruiting purposes. Seems you would appreciate that approach more.

You can uphold academic requirements and reputation without using them to justify mediocrity, which is what Wake Forest does. We don't have to sell our souls to have a strong football program. That's the lie we've been fed for decades to allow Wellman to appear successful without regard to what actually happens on the field/court.

This is definitely why Lembo seems to have been the best guy...he was going to challenge all of that stuff. I only hope Clawson will push the envelope as well, even if it's in a less combative way than perhaps how Lembo would have gone about it. I expressed that concern several days ago, that "program builders" are often guys who are okay with losing because they are working toward a long-term vision, and it seemed like Lembo would have never been okay with losing, period. But I trust* that Clawson knows exactly what he's doing and that he hates losing even more than we do. He must know that if he'll just bring consistent success, he can stay here a long, long time and get paid handsomely. A "program builder's" dream.

*Until two years from now when the results dictate that I shouldn't trust him anymore. Fun to be a fickle fan.

And PH I'm surprised you don't view a coach needing a ton of academic exceptions as an excuse..

You speak as if you know what Lembo asked. Define "a ton"... Would 3 be a ton? 5? 15? How many did he ask for? We know, from insiders, that Grobe was allowed 1 a year. If Lembo asked for 3, is that really "selling our soul"? Especially if he was committed to being strict with the exceptions and working to improve our athletic support staff? You act as if you're absolutely sure Lembo asked for 10 exceptions a year and told Wellman that he didn't give a damn whether they went to class or not.

I will say that it is my understanding that the exceptions/exemptions issue was a sticking point for Hatch, not as much for Wellman.

Wouldn't surprise me, Hatch's interest in college football is in South Bend, not Winston-Salem. Doubtful he cares that much whether we have a successful program or not.

You speak as if you know what Lembo asked. Define "a ton"... Would 3 be a ton? 5? 15? How many did he ask for? We know, from insiders, that Grobe was allowed 1 a year. If Lembo asked for 3, is that really "selling our soul"? Especially if he was committed to being strict with the exceptions and working to improve our athletic support staff? You act as if you're absolutely sure Lembo asked for 10 exceptions a year and told Wellman that he didn't give a damn whether they went to class or not.

I don't know what the number was. Enough to make Hatch balk.

And PH I'm surprised you don't view a coach needing a ton of academic exceptions as an excuse. Whereas Clawson was quoted from his Richmond days as using the academic requirements as an asset for recruiting purposes. Seems you would appreciate that approach more.

Having high academic standards as an institution and wanting flexibility in recruiting are not mutually exclusive.

You keep referring to my profession and assuming what my views would be instead of realizing that what you disagree with is the perspective I have come to because of my profession and actual experience teaching football players. I posted more on it a few days ago. Do a search for it and let me know what you think.

I am such a hater but I hope now that Lembo goes somewhere and donks it up.

Having high academic standards as an institution and wanting flexibility in recruiting are not mutually exclusive.

You keep referring to my profession and assuming what my views would be instead of realizing that what you disagree with is the perspective I have come to because of my profession and actual experience teaching football players. I posted more on it a few days ago. Do a search for it and let me know what you think.

i entered a search for 'phog hat' but i just got lectro posts results

While I'm about 80%IN on the hire, I did like what little we saw last Friday night.

Liked the obvious....Clawson is 'hands-on' for sure. He was energetic, very vocal and ENVOLVED in what was going on with the offense and defense.

That was a HUGE upset win for BG....and Clawson ( with Wellman in attendance ! ).

Football coach
2001: None listed..it appears that for 2001 (earliest available on this particular web site) there was a single form between WFU and WFUBMC so surgeons fill out the list other than Skip
2002 (Jim Grobe): $750k
2003: $960k
2004: $987k
2005: $1020k
2006: $1440k
2007: $4239k
2008: $2940k
2009: $2280k
2010: $2250k
2011: $2250k

Basketball coach
2001 (Skip Prosser): $750k
2002: $860k
2003: $980k
2004: $1040k
2005: $1020k
2006: $1100k
2007: $400k
2007 (Dino Gaudio): $790k
2008: $690k
2009: $850k
2010: $1160k
2010 (Jeff [Redacted]): 950k
2011: $1390k

Athletic director
2001: Non-listed
2002 (Ron Wellman): $400k
2003: $460k
2004: $490k
2005: $510k
2006: $530k
2007: $620k
2008: $650k
2009: $700k
2010: $2440k
2011: $940k

Sources
http://www.eri-nonprofit-salaries.c...EIN=560532138&Year=2009&Cobrandid=0&sourceid= (all but: 2005, 2006)
http://non-profit-organizations.findthebest.com/l/239648/Wake-Forest-University

First, I did two things for the sake of simplicity: 1) rounded. 2) consolidated all numbers into one. This includes some significant deferred comp numbers for some years with both Grobe and Wellman. Later years have a somewhat detailed breakdown if you want to look at the individual PDFs. I am not going to pretend like I know anything about how their compensation is structured, hence the single number. Second, Wake is on a June 30 fiscal year. With the way the documents are marked, FY2011 actually ends June 30 2012. This is confusing and not what I'm accustomed to seeing with 10ks and other public company filings. Sorry. Third, these aren't my numbers. These are the numbers Wake reported to the IRS. If you think they're wrong then you're probably wrong. If you aren't, then someone is in trouble.

What the hell is in Buzz's contract in 2011, HIS SECOND YEAR, that gave him 300K more than Skip ever did in a season??????????????
Inflation isn't that damn bad!
#WTF

In all seriousness, you look for the negative in every single thing. It is quite amazing really. If you hit the $500mil lottery, I am sure you will complain about the taxes.

Last edited:
That just adjusts for national competitiveness as far as salaries go.

ALSO BREAKING NEWS ACCORDING TO DOSTER AND ESPN: THE KING HAS BEEN FORCED TO SIGN THE MAGNA CARTA.

In all seriousness, you look for the negative in every single thing. It is quite amazing really. If you hit the $500mil, I am sure you will complain about the taxes.

You mean like rich people pretty much always do?

The positive is that we don't have to sell our souls. The negative is the idea that Wake Forest has to be some arduous uphill climb for every coach. I'm more positive about Wake's prospects of winning than most.

Does anybody think Angus/DeaconBrad is funny?

Angus, can you explain why that is even funny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back