• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clemson @ WFU - Saturday 9/24 - 12 Noon ABC

KU has way better wins, but Vandy going on the road and beating an upper-tier MAC team is at least a sign they aren't complete dogshit

Can't tell who will get more annoying hype if they win, KU or Duke. Whoever does win will probably jump into the top 20, and if we lose to Clemson, jump over us.

Going back to last year, Kansas has covered 6 straight games ATS, by an average of 21 ppg (that is unreal). IIRC, every cover over that span has been by double digits. Lance Leopold came from D3, via Buffalo, and has turned it around quickly.

Wake was damn lucky against a pedestrian Liberty team last week. Pretty questionable officiating calls throughout. Look for Clemson to probably win this one by 3-4 scores.
Liberty would be a middle of the pack acc team.... And sam missed tons of throws he normally makes.

That being said, the inability to run the ball this year starting at VMI has me very concerned. 54 percent of runs against liberty were for a loss or no gain. Some wrinkles are absolutely needed to be added to the run game.

Wake was +3.5 at Clemson last season.

There was some legit top-10 hype for Wake coming into this season, and somewhere towards the end of summer that fizzled out.

I thought Ellison looked like he was shot out of a cannon on that late TD run he had. Seems like one of the first times we ran the ball with no real cuts in the backfield and he scored easily. Would like to see these quick hitters mixed in with our other running plays.

We are still small on both lines — it’s not shocking that we can’t just run the ball down opposing team’s throats. The counter is that we closed the NC St game on a great drive last year, but that’s the only example I can come up with over the last couple years where we imposed our will in that way, and I think it’s probably the exception that proves the rule.

A very superficial size comparison (average weight of OL starters, DL 2-deep):
Wake OL - 304lb, DL 273
Liberty OL - 313, DL 284
Clemson OL - 312, DL 284

Wake OL vs Clemson DL = +20
Clemson OL vs Wake DL = +39

Normally the advantage when going up against a smaller program comes in both size and skill, but it was shocking to see we were smaller than Liberty almost across the board. I was also surprised that Liberty had the same size as Clemson — though ability is surely different.

Yeah, you can't dance and try to wait for a hole to develop against Clemson. Our non-Cooley guys do that way too much.

I guess this could be the year but until proven otherwise the chance we lose is high.

There was some legit top-10 hype for Wake coming into this season, and somewhere towards the end of summer that fizzled out.
It fizzled when Hartman got hurt and no one knew how long he would be out.

We need to get out to a fast start Saturday. I thought we actually played well offensively last year and got into a rhythm, but can't afford for that to happen after going down 10-0 early.

Defensively, finish sacks on DJ and force him to beat us deep. I can live with getting beat deep as long as they aren't pounding it down our throat in the run game. Liberty's QB was athletic and fast af, we shouldn't have to worry too much about DJ escaping and running around like Manziel on us outside the pocket. Just play contain and fly to the ball.

It’s been said numerous times also but 3 and outs just absolutely kill this offense. Got to avoid that at all costs on Saturday.

Yeah. Wake was several spots lower on early preseason polls than late post-season polls. It wasn't all due to Hartman. The slide started before August.
We need to get out to a fast start Saturday. I thought we actually played well offensively last year and got into a rhythm, but can't afford for that to happen after going down 10-0 early.

Defensively, finish sacks on DJ and force him to beat us deep. I can live with getting beat deep as long as they aren't pounding it down our throat in the run game. Liberty's QB was athletic and fast af, we shouldn't have to worry too much about DJ escaping and running around like Manziel on us outside the pocket. Just play contain and fly to the ball.
Yeah but we need to worry about DJ getting out and picking up 3rd and long.

Yeah. Wake was several spots lower on early preseason polls than late post-season polls. It wasn't all due to Hartman. The slide started before August.

Yeah but we need to worry about DJ getting out and picking up 3rd and long.
Agreed. I meant that more as in when he gets out of the pocket, I don't think he'll run around and buy time to throw up prayers like Liberty was doing in the 2nd half. He killed us last year in the power run game and getting out of sure sacks. Contain him and when you get to him, wrap up and bring him down. I think we can get to him, we just have to finish.

I thought Ellison looked like he was shot out of a cannon on that late TD run he had. Seems like one of the first times we ran the ball with no real cuts in the backfield and he scored easily. Would like to see these quick hitters mixed in with our other running plays.

It looked to me like they let him score on purpose.

Speaking of making cuts in the back field, remember Josh Adams? He never missed the opportunity for an unnecessary jump cut in the backfield. Dude was the Josh Shoemaker of jump cuts.

Also, is backfield one word or two? I clearly have no idea.

You mean ACC ROY Josh Adams who was one of our highest ranked recruits in school history (at the time) and was criminally underused by Lobo?

Back